[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

college

dmarc117

ouch

Well he can call it a "scam" all he wants; all I know is that in the IT world at least, degrees are huge. Not just making money but getting a job in the first place. IMO it is stupid and we should care a lot less about it, esp for people with considerable experience. My degree hasn't helped me in the tiniest re my job for MANY years. This stupid square-checking BS needs to stop.

We could cut the costs alot since DVD's could replace every teacher out there if people would get over the myth that a real live human is necessary for learning, when it's not for most people.

Edited by TimC

We could cut the costs alot since DVD's could replace every teacher out there if people would get over the myth that a real live human is necessary for learning, when it's not for most people.

The last time I asked a DVD for a clarification of a point all it did was lie there.

I didn't go to college and have survived on my work experience, though I know a degree would open a lot more opportunities. Within my current role and team, my PMP certification is certainly important, but the relationships and reputation I've built over the years are 99% of it. People know I'll get the job done, come hell or high water, and I don't gossip or backstab.

About 12 years ago I had a boss who was hired because she had an MBA and fit a certain quota that the company was looking for. Before she arrived I was doing all the reporting that the manager of our team would normally do. I tried to transition it to her, but she didn't understand Excel, and she couldn't pick it up even after lengthy sessions that went on for over a month. Finally we decided I would keep doing the reports and pretty soon I found another job.

Watching a DVD is hardly the same as having a teacher. Could work in some ways, but.....

We're still teaching like it was the 1800's. Most every other profession has adapted and changed with the times. There are better ways for the brighter students instead of putting them through the sawmill of a public education that is geared towards the lowest common denominator.

I know teachers are so protective of their jobs and feel they are performing a public service and should be treated like royalty, but even they should be able to see there are better ways. When automation and computerization replaced jobs, the people doing those jobs were no less important in many ways and yet they still replaced and made more efficient with the changing times. We have technology now that was not dreamed of as little as 10-20 years ago we could be using.

Edited by TimC

We're still teaching like it was the 1800's. Most every other profession has adapted and changed with the times. There are better ways for the brighter students instead of putting them through the sawmill of a public education that is geared towards the lowest common denominator.

I know teachers are so protective of their jobs and feel they are performing a public service and should be treated like royalty, but even they should be able to see there are better ways. When automation and computerization replaced jobs, the people doing those jobs were no less important in many ways and yet they still replaced and made more efficient with the changing times. We have technology now that was not dreamed of as little as 10-20 years ago we could be using.

Maybe in Virginia, Alabama, Mississippi...you know, the Confederate States.

Let's just make the parents responsible for the children they created and make the generators of all this youth teach their own children. That would save a lot of money and probably get us towards where we're heading faster...you know, everyone working for Wal Mart.

Let's just make the parents responsible for the children they created and make the generators of all this youth teach their own children. That would save a lot of money and probably get us towards where we're heading faster...you know, everyone working for Wal Mart.

Simmah down now, Video Professor. I know you've got tenure and a union behind you so you should be okay pushing the mule cart to school everyday to teach dummy Jimmy the same cirriculum as smart Clara.

While the premise certainly has merits for discussion, the WSJ article that the Yahoo article cites contains the major problem: the doctor with $550K of debt admits that "Maybe half of it was my fault because I didn't look at the fine print," of her loans and accrued massive late fees, etc. :wacko:

Edited by Fatman

Wow, TimC, that's the first time I think I've ever seen HR get ruffled... :D But then he had to go and lash out at homeschoolers in his anger. :wacko:

ouch

Well he can call it a "scam" all he wants; all I know is that in the IT world at least, degrees are huge. Not just making money but getting a job in the first place. IMO it is stupid and we should care a lot less about it, esp for people with considerable experience. My degree hasn't helped me in the tiniest re my job for MANY years. This stupid square-checking BS needs to stop.

Don't know if you work for a large IT corporation or in an IT department for a non-telco corporation but where I work, degrees in IT are like MCSEs - everyone has one and they are all either BS in Information Technology, BS in Information Systems, or BS in IT design. So i figured, it's kind of worthless since everyone has one. A person in Marketing and a person in HR were quick to smack me down one day. For securing potential clients and contract, the more employees with degrees looks much better than more employees with just certifications.

Side note: I will be the only person with a degree not related to IT or business management in our division. I figured I would be cut and thrown to the wolves if it came down to me or someone with a technical degree. Turns out, diversification in education and experience is very sought after.

I didn't go to college and have survived on my work experience, though I know a degree would open a lot more opportunities. Within my current role and team, my PMP certification is certainly important, but the relationships and reputation I've built over the years are 99% of it. People know I'll get the job done, come hell or high water, and I don't gossip or backstab.

About 12 years ago I had a boss who was hired because she had an MBA and fit a certain quota that the company was looking for. Before she arrived I was doing all the reporting that the manager of our team would normally do. I tried to transition it to her, but she didn't understand Excel, and she couldn't pick it up even after lengthy sessions that went on for over a month. Finally we decided I would keep doing the reports and pretty soon I found another job.

I am working on my PMP right now. That is a very important cert to have that is universally applicable to most jobs.

ETA: Work pays for my college. To date, I've spent $120 of my own money verse the 12k that Verizzle has paid out. Recommend people get in with companies that have that benny

Edited by cliaz

I tried going straight to law school after high school, but those crooks made me go to college first. What a racket.

Considering you can get the same training as a new salesman on a used-car lot, I'd say you're right... :wacko:

:D

Wife and I have discussed this; not sure if we'll be encouraging our kids to go to a 4yr college or not...especially straight out of HS...

That's the good compromise right there. Send them to CC. It's super cheap. They can get a feel for what they want to get into. If they want to go after something that takes a degree, they move on. If not, so be it.

My HS was a public school but we sent a lot from my graduating class to good schools. In fact, there was major pressure, not the least among us little pricks, to go somewhere good. Out of all of my friends, however, the one who ended up with his name on some Nobel Prize winning work and is now heading up a genetics lab at Cornell, went to the local CC for two years before moving on.

Many of my former students end up going to a center to get taught through a computer at an alternative high school type setting.