[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Scariest Thing I've Read In A Long Time

Perchoutofwater

Y'know, if I didn't know better, I'd say you were actively hoping for this.

Maybe I don't know better.

Absolutely not. I hope we can right the course and get our spending in check both as individuals and as a nation. While many individual and corporate bankruptcies are at this point unavoidable, I hope that we can see the light so to speak and do something to protect our nation by doing something to reduce these liabilities rather than adding to them. Why on earth would anyone hope these things come to pass, as it benefits no one. What possible good can come, if all of that were to occur? Sure we might get more conservatives elected, but what good is have people that share your ideology in power if the nation is all but in ruins? No if you think I am hoping the economy continues to falter, you are sadly mistaken, and you don't know a thing.

i have said it before and will say it again, we are skrewed. its called reality. this country and world are in for major changes. life will not be the same. times will be tougher. dont look at the market as an indicator, its not anymore. no jobs out there, pensions undefunded, unions will strike, no police or fire service, society breaks down.

u have a chance to get prepared. do it.

There is a vicious circle here. Uncertainty breeds hoarding, hoarding breeds liquidity problems for manufacturers and small businesses, liquidity problems create unemployment problems, and unemployment hurts the broader market that banks operate in. If none of this changes, the Federal Reserve will likely keep interest rates effectively at zero, which in turn will incentivize banks to build their reserves. All of the above will likely induce the president and Congress to push for more of the unsound lending practices that helped inflate the housing bubble in the first place.

Scary if true.

i have said it before and will say it again, we are skrewed. its called reality. this country and world are in for major changes. life will not be the same. times will be tougher. dont look at the market as an indicator, its not anymore. no jobs out there, pensions undefunded, unions will strike, no police or fire service, society breaks down.

u have a chance to get prepared. do it.

You go militia man :wacko:

Who knows, but I think predicting we're on the verge of an economic version of "Terminator" might be just a bit over the top.

Or maybe all that 2012 stuff is already spinning its gears.....

Sorry, but the article is mostly a bunch of garbage.

Yes, I agree that the recovery is tenuous but that is because the financial system is still quite shaky. (And it is not shaky due to uncertainty about future regulations, it is shaky because it is still trying to recover from how badly it screwed itself up over the last decade.)

Additionally, the "jobless recovery" is NOT an anomaly--each of the last four recessions has seen the length of time it has taken for the percent losses in jobs to return to zero increase. ("Jobless recoveries" should probably be viewed as characteristic of modern recoveries.)

Edited by wiegie

Additionally, the "jobless recovery" is NOT an anomaly--each of the last four recessions has seen the length of time it has taken for the percent losses in jobs to return to zero increase. ("Jobless recoveries" should probably be viewed as characteristic of modern recoveries.)

Also see: "Impact of techology on improving operational efficiency" for additional details.

Y'know, if I didn't know better, I'd say you were actively hoping for this.

Maybe I don't know better.

when someone wants to warn people about something...they are often considered a doom n gloom type of person or maybe that you want a certain scenario to take place..

what we should be headed for in even the near future looks to be at least a little ugly...

when someone wants to warn people about something...they are often considered a doom n gloom type of person or maybe that you want a certain scenario to take place..

what we should be headed for in even the near future looks to be at least a little ugly...

Nothing a little cottage cheese and fish oil can't cure.

Yes, I agree that the recovery is tenuous but that is because the financial system is still quite shaky. (And it is not shaky due to uncertainty about future regulations, it is shaky because it is still trying to recover from how badly it screwed itself up over the last decade.)

1. the financial system isnt fixing any of its problems.

2. the jobs that are gone are never coming back.

3. states are bankrupt.

4. consumers will be further hurt by rising taxes.

You go militia man :wacko:

Who knows, but I think predicting we're on the verge of an economic version of "Terminator" might be just a bit over the top.

Or maybe all that 2012 stuff is already spinning its gears.....

trust me, i hope it doesnt happen. it wont be pretty.

I would imagine it has at least something to do with it. As I've said multiple times I know of several hospitals that would like to expand but are waiting to see what is going to happen with health care reform. In early January right after Scot Brown was sworn in and it looked like the health care bill was dead we were contracted about three large future projects that were about to come out. They even got to the point of asking for proposals, and then when health the health care reform bill got resurrected the project got put on hold indefinitely.

I've been preaching for about a year now that do the uncertainty in future taxes and regulation associated with the stimulus, the bank bail outs, the UAW bailout, cap & trade, and health care reform, many business owners who otherwise might putting more money into their businesses to expand production capabilities are sitting on the side lines. It is hard to plan for the future when you don't know how you are going to be taxed and regulated in that future. There is always uncertainty, and a certain amount of uncertainty about the future is just natural. For the most part sans government involvement you can predict with decent success what the short term future holds for your business, but when you have to now not only look at the market, but at new taxation and regulation that has yet to be defined It has a stifling affect on expansion and may even encourage contraction. Now I'm no banker, but I would think that the threat of increased regulation has the same effect on them as it does on the guys I go to lunch with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that is the only problem facing the banking system or even that it is the biggest problem facing the banking system. What I am saying that to discount the stifling effect of regulation on an industry (any industry) is either naive or disingenuous.