[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

how would you interpret this word

muck

What do you think?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. If one house is "catty-corner" (or "kitty-corner" depending on your preference) from another house, would you consider them to be adjacent?

• No -- adjacent houses would be next door to one another
    • Yes -- adjacent means 'near' and these two houses are near to one another

My understanding of kitty-corner is that no, they would not be adjacent.

Kitty-Corner Definition - In a diagonal position.

If something is kitty-corner, it is basically across the street diagonally at a four-corner intersection. At least, that would be my interpretation.

Now, Adjacent is defined as "being near or close, esp having a common boundary; adjoining; contiguous" . The sample given for close to is adjacent cities. The sample for next to is garden plots. IMO, when looking at home boundaries, we're looking at a smaller picture meaning you go more towards the next to definition, ala garden plots.

So, by definition, I suppose kitty-corner could be adjacent, but I would not define them as such.

Without having any idea what the purpose of the question is, can I guess?

There was a necessary public hearing for some purpose and the initial landowner was required to notify the "adjacent" property owners of this hearing. A "kitty corner" owner was not notified and is now claiming that they are in fact an "adjacent" landowner.

Or something along those lines. Am I even close?

Without having any idea what the purpose of the question is, can I guess?

There was a necessary public hearing for some purpose and the initial landowner was required to notify the "adjacent" property owners of this hearing. A "kitty corner" owner was not notified and is now claiming that they are in fact an "adjacent" landowner.

Or something along those lines. Am I even close?

No, just trying to describe multiple similar properties with the same language (i.e., "the properties in _________, _________, __________, _________ and _________ are all adjacent to recently built Home Depot's") ... I was hoping to not have to describe them all separately as some are adjoining/contiguous, some are 'across the street from', some are kitty-corner and some are a combination of these things (i.e., multiple lots covered under one 'umbrella transaction').

If something is kitty-corner, it is basically across the street diagonally at a four-corner intersection. At least, that would be my interpretation.

That is what catty-corner has always meant to me.

When two properties touch they are referred to as be adjacent. Another term for this situation is to considers the properties "adjoiners". While the properties can be adjacent that's rarely a term used to describe houses though I do suppose it is accurate.

No, just trying to describe multiple similar properties with the same language (i.e., "the properties in _________, _________, __________, _________ and _________ are all adjacent to recently built Home Depot's") ... I was hoping to not have to describe them all separately as some are adjoining/contiguous, some are 'across the street from', some are kitty-corner and some are a combination of these things (i.e., multiple lots covered under one 'umbrella transaction').

How about "in close proximity to"? :wacko: