[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Santa Clara votes 3-2 to ban Happy Meals

Avernus

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a kid I hated it when my family would go to McDonalds, and I pretty much refused to eat there. I don't like pickles or ketchup, and this was the early 70's when you never really had the option of ordering a special order plain cheeseburger. So I was screwed. Then they invented the Chicken McNugget. I was hooked. Yep. It used to be about the food. Now I only go for the toys.

When I was a kid I hated it when my family would go to McDonalds, and I pretty much refused to eat there. I don't like pickles or ketchup, and this was the early 70's when you never really had the option of ordering a special order plain cheeseburger. So I was screwed. Then they invented the Chicken McNugget. I was hooked. Yep. It used to be about the food. Now I only go for the toys.

+1...my friend and I always got cheeseburger plain and dry and it was like teaching calculus to a drop out just to get it ordered right. thank goodness for the mcnugget :tup: nothing beats french fries with a milshake, though. :wacko:

I wouldn't say "without exception", but I would certainly draw the line a LOOOOOOOOONG way apart from being able to take a kid to mcdonalds for a happy meal.

And as I said, I don't think that should be illegal either.

Of course, it's matter of degrees.

On one side, you have freedoms that you'll take up a torch for. On the other side, you have "freedoms" that are sick and twisted and you're happy are not afforded to anyone under our laws.

Then there's all those in the middle. Close to the first side, you have those that you suppose you support but only because you believe in liberties in general. If you get a vote, you're going to vote for them on principle but it's not like you're going to go out and fight for. For me (and I would imagine many others, that's smoker's rights. Also for me, it's something like this, when a company that you feel is basically a parasite and scourge on the planet is told they can't do something that you think is sleazy as hell. To me, that's where you say, "Oh well. Sucks for them. I'm not going to go crying to the government to make them stop, but I'm sure as hell not going to cry on their behalf."

I usually go to Santa Clara at least once a year. Send me a tea bag and I'll perform a rape of freedom interpretive dance in front of every McDonald's I can find. :wacko:

if you're naked (as everyone knows this is how the "rape of freedom interpretive dance" is performed), then you shouldn't have to bring a tea bag with you.

Edited by millerx

• 4 months later...

you know, for my kid, by far the main draw of mcdonald's is the play gym thing. she cares about that infinitely more than the cheap toy, or the apparently grievously dangerous and unhealthy meal of chicken nuggets, apple slices and milk. so if the nannies want to ban something to make mcdonald's less of a draw for kids, that should be what they target next.

When I was a kid I went for the McDonald's glasses. I never did get the whole collector set though.

I got like 5 f'n Hamburgler glasses and never could get that final Ronald McDonald one. Thanks for bringing it up. The scars still run deep. I'm gonna be over in the corner whimpering for a few days now sucking my thumb. I hate The Ronald.