[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

marriage poll

dmarc117

whats ur situation  

61 members have voted

1. 1. are you and your spouse from the same general area?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. if not, where do you guys live?

• by your family
    • by the spouse's family
    • neither
  3. 3. is the mate that lives away from family happy?

• yes
    • no
    • n/a

Simply put, we used to live 1/2 hour from our families and realized that having them show up unannounced after and all night kegger just wasn't a good idea.

We grew up 3 miles apart and live 60+ miles from nearest relative. That might seem far to ya'll but hillbilly inbreeders consider that Amelia Earhardt type traveling.

i am from SF

wife is from littleton

live in the mountains about an hour from her parents. we are pretty happy. we go back to sf several times a year and could easily move back. strong attractions for each area for us.

There are many dynamics at hand here in my case. Hopefully my wife can finally come back to Seattle from the Philippines in about two months. We'll be pretty close to my family, couldn't get much further away from hers. Not sure how happy she is going to be. I'm anticipating a few months of terrible homesickness. After that, I think she'll be happy here. It isn't 95 degrees with 2000% humidity every day and the poverty rate is just a little higher. We'll see.

My wife and I grew up in the same town (Richmond,CA). I met her when I moved in across the street. Funny, I had known 2 of her older sisters for years before I met her. I left town at 18, and she married me a year later. That was 36 years ago this Sunday.

The closest we every managed to get was Victorville,CA. About 400 or so miles away. Both of our parents are gone, but we still have a brother and sister living around the Bay Area.

we live in the denver area, where I grew up and most of my family still lives. my dad and his wife live in texas. wife's folks live in the chicago area. they're a little high-maintenance, whereas my mom is one of the easiest people in the world to be around. so I think we're both pretty happy with the current arrangement. though her parents are batting around the idea of moving out here to be close to the grandkid.

Edited by Azazello1313

We recently moved away from all family and I don't hate it. My wife is still having kind of a hard time because so much if her life was left there and she is close to her sisters. Still she's making many friends here already and I'm sure she'll be quite happy in a few months.

I'm perfectly happy wherever I go as long as my wife and kids are with me. I'll miss being close to my mom and dad, siblings and nieces & nephews, but it's really nice to not have family obligations nearly every weekend.

Lived far far away from both our immediate family's for 5 years.....now we live about 2-3 hours away from our immediate family and it is convenient and inconvenient at the same time with a 5 year old son. Everyone in our family circle, in laws and what not, get along exceedingly well to very well. My wife's brother is also married and we do backpack trips and hit Hollywood and Vegas excursions routinely together.

Both families vacation together, we hit Maui at Christmas. Had the whole clan up at my house a few weeks ago. Boundary Bay Brewery at noon and my 80 year old dad was breaking my BBQ and falling off the deck by 3 in the afternoon. I expect nothing less.

I'm from SoCal, family still lives there (and some family in Chicago). Wife and her family from Baton Rouge area. We live in Austin. 8 hours from Baton Rouge. We used to go back to BR every few months but work limits that now. Used to go back to Cali quite a bit, but lack of work has all but stopped that.

The Sheikette and I had parallel lives before we met. She was born in Staten Island, I was born in Brooklyn. She grew up in Old Bridge, I grew up in Freehold. We met in Atlantic City.

As for parents, we live about 10 miles from her parents and about 1000 miles from my parents, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm from Cali, she from Cinci. We now live in NC with the closest of either of our families being her dad in Tampa. My parents divorced, both live in Oregon.

We moved east because I've never minded moving to new places and she wanted to move east. Both of us are happy here and it's good that we're relatively close to her dad (compared to my folks) because she's much closer to her family. In fact, when my folks come for a visit, I often jokingly explain that my wife's in-laws are coming to town.

There are many dynamics at hand here in my case. Hopefully my wife can finally come back to Seattle from the Philippines in about two months. We'll be pretty close to my family, couldn't get much further away from hers. Not sure how happy she is going to be. I'm anticipating a few months of terrible homesickness. After that, I think she'll be happy here. It isn't 95 degrees with 2000% humidity every day and the poverty rate is just a little higher. We'll see.

My little brother's wife is Korean. She now lives in Sherman, Texas which is about 20 minutes from our parents house out on the lake. There was a big effort on everyone's part when she got here to make he feel like part of the family. She's a nurse and went and got a job at the local hospital and made friends. He has a phone plan with excellent international rates. She's been here about three years and they've got my niece. Evertime they save money for a vacation to Korea she finds "better" things to spend the money on.

Now she's a tough one. She burnt some blackend trout once. We threw ours away. She plugged her nose and ate it all. Says a lot about that girl on many levels.

Good luck I hope everything works out for you.