[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

car buffs here

Scooby

I hear it's good for lower mileage vehicles, but costs twice as much, but then again you can go longer between oil changes-a regular oil change woulda cost me $35 this one was $70. My friend has an oil change shop, he recommended I use it so I did. My car is a 2009 model has about 11K miles on it. I'm guessing its ok to switch from regular to synthetic without damaging something? Also a lease car, so I wont have it past 3 yrs or 30K miles.

My understanding is that once you go synthetic you can't go back.

Meh, kind of. The thing is this... Don't bounce back and forth between the 2.

To the original question. If you are good about changing your oil when it's supposed to be changed I would not bother with synthetic on a leased car. It is an expense you don't really need. I am a mechanic with an older, 99 Infinity Q45, high mileage car. I use conventional oil and change it regularly. I recently had the valve covers off because the gaskets were leaking and the valve train was spotless. No sludge, dirt, deposits, nothing!

If you are the type of person who see's that 3000 mile sticker and think that means 6000 miles then please switch to synthetic as it will not sludge up on you.

If you were not leasing then it is probably worth it down the line to pay the extra for the synthetic.

I run full synthetic in all my vehicles - two high-mileage jobs and my wife's newer Acura. Personally, I think it's a better product, but conventional oil works fine too if you are good on getting the oil changed regularly.

I would not use low-brow regular oil - my experience is that it is inferior to name brand stuff. I don't think that's the case with a lot of products, but oil is a different story.

some leasing companies want proof of maintenance and some don't care if it's synthetic, but do care about frequency. You might get a headache trying to convince them that the longer duration between changes doesn't matter and they might try to penalize you.

For a lease I wouldn't spend the extra $$, plus as LO said they are more concerned w/ frequency than quality. Check your contract....do the minimum w/ the Manuf's reccs.

Oh by the way, zero worries switching from conventional to synthetic.

This man speaks troof!

My understanding is that once you go synthetic you can't go back.

Years ago that was true. It doesn't matter anymore. Full synthetic doesn't break down as quickly as convential or synthetic blend oil. Plus it coats the engine parts better...making cold startups easier on the engine.

Scooby, I second what tbimm says. On a lease, it isn't worth the additional money.

I'm not sure it's worth it anyway. My F-150 has 185K on it. It's had oil changed every 5k miles with either Havoline or Castrol 10W40. I've never had a mechanical problem out of this truck - just an alternator and a sensor.

Oh, and IMO, I don't think it's worth changing the oil every 3k unless you are very slow in putting on the miles. If you put at least 10K/year on a vehicle, I think every 5k is just fine for an oil change.

Agree with wv. I change mine every 5k. I use regular oil on the truck. I've noticed nothing wrong with waiting.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic on the Vettes and never had any problems. It's what recommended by GM.

Edited by TimC

but costs twice as much
Walmart 5 qt jug is $21 bucks, at least around here. Previous vehicle I was paying ~$3/qt for Mobile Clean 5000 so for a few bucks more per oil change, I'm now full synthetic with my new to me truck.

Mobil 1 changed every 10-12k per mfg. recommendations. I have nearly 150k on the SUV without issue, I change myself since it takes 8.5 quarts, so is nearly $50/change with filter and me supplying labor. I also use syn blend duramax on my higher mileage honda (90k) and change every 5k. However, I wouldn't bother on a lease vehicle.

Edited by paulzale