[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Busted rib(s)

Rovers

As I have mentioned here recently, I busted up my ribs on a lawn water slide, happened July 3. Turns out my neighbor put it up on youtube, and claims it got thousands of hits before it got removed. I never saw it. In any case, on July 5th I needed help just to get out of bed. This thing hurts like a mutha.

No way I could do landscaping work. Doc told me rest for 6-8 weeks. I did 6-8 days. Poppin Alleve's 4 and 5 at a time to get started. Had to come home for more, 3 beers, and about to head out again. The longer I work, the worse the pain gets. I have no choice.... find a way to work thru it or lose my landscaping biz.

Any tips on how to get through the next few weeks? Ever busted a rib? :wacko:

As I have mentioned here recently, I busted up my ribs on a lawn water slide, happened July 3. Turns out my neighbor put it up on youtube, and claims it got thousands of hits before it got removed. I never saw it. In any case, on July 5th I needed help just to get out of bed. This thing hurts like a mutha.

No way I could do landscaping work. Doc told me rest for 6-8 weeks. I did 6-8 days. Poppin Alleve's 4 and 5 at a time to get started. Had to come home for more, 3 beers, and about to head out again. The longer I work, the worse the pain gets. I have no choice.... find a way to work thru it or lose my landscaping biz.

Any tips on how to get through the next few weeks? Ever busted a rib? :wacko:

Had 2 cracked at one time... Playing baseball when little and I nor a kid swinging a bat were paying attention, full swing into the ribs... Hurt like hell for about two to three weeks, when I moved wrong for a few months it would definitely get my attention.

Busted ribe several times. Are they broken or just cracked?

the big worry if they are actually broken is a punctured lung, if they are just cracked, they will tape you up and tell ya to stay off your feet. Unfortunately with your line of work, the pain will continue until you can rest, especially in the muscles betwen the ribs. It will hurt to breathe and move until then (of course, I am not a doctor, but i DID watch several years of ER , , ,)

best of luck Rovers . . . if all else fails you can rely on the best Iriah painkiller there is a solid Irish Whiskey . . .

Unfortunately I have busted my ribs, many times. They will stay with you forever, worse than a bad back. Best advice is to get a rib wrap to keep them in place so to speak while working. Try not to laugh or cough until they get better. Broke three whe Better yet have the Doc give you some Vicoden for the nights. Broke three when working for Redhook and had to fill in on the keg line for two weeks. Aleve or Ibuprofen(a lot) and the wrap helped to at least get through the day. Problem is the longer you prolong the healing process by working with them, the more you will get flareups down the line. I can be just sitting around and BANG it feels like someone stuck a knife in my side. Then goes away as fast as it came back.

Good luck Rover and find that wrap. Good ones go for around $30.

As John mentioned I cracked 2 ribs back in January w/ a cough/sneeze. ER doc said that's pretty common.

~5-6 weeks later I picked up a very heavy bag of groceries, heard a pop, went back to the ER 2 days later only to discover that now I broke them. To this day they still move around and make a clicking noise, but not much pain.

This is the second time I've done something like this. The last time I slipped on the stairs and cracked the back ribs. They sugg'd a wrap for daytime use only. This time they said absolutely not. Too great a risk of pneumonia.

Good luck my friend.

Anyway of explaining your exact situation to your doctor and see if there is anything that he can give you to help.

Also, consider using ibuprofen and Tylenol concurrently.**

**I am not a doctor, so if this kills you, it is not my fault.

Buy a mouth guard to bite down on.

Really, there's nothing they can do for you. Anything that will have a real impact on the pain the doctors will be reluctant to give to you just so you can work as they are addictive and if they allow you to work, that'll only slow the healing process. The pain is a sign that what you are doing is not good on the ribs.

I had two cracked with a 2x4 as a teenager and they will occasionally ache from time to time still. Not only did it hurt like heck but my breathing was restricted - I just coudn't take in a full breath it felt like. That was almost worse than the pain. Almost being the key. Even when I was drunk enough to not hurt, I couldn't get enough air to smoke or score.

Be really careful, you think it's bad now, puncture a lung. Hope you get better soon.

Rib pain is one of the most frustrating sources of pain EVER. You can't put ribs in a cast and you can't stop breathing or moving so every time you move or breathe you get sharp, stabbing, incapacitating pain.

Only time, rest and pain meds help. I'm really sorry you have to go through this. :wacko:

Edited by Chargerz

Thanks for the replies. The doc never actually said if they were cracked or broken. He didn't have to reset anything. Most of the pain seems to be coming from the intecostal cartilage on both sides of my lower ribs. There has been slow but steady improvement when I get up every morning. Weird, there is less pain if I push my stomache out when I roll over in bed, that sort of thing.

My body also doesn't want to wake up in the morning. I guess it's telling me to rest. So, I'm off to a late start today. I'll probably work until 7:30 pm again today, and I should be nearly caught up work-wise.

I stopped taking Alleve at night. I pop so many just to get thru the day, I figure I need to lay off at night. I once had a script for naproxen sodium, and was surprised to see that one pill in terms of milligrams was equal to five regular Alleve pills. I take 4 in the morning, and another 4 about 8 hours later. That with 2 beers seems to work pretty well in terms of pain relief. I would not try anything stronger given the machines I have to operate all day. I know I am abusing my body, but I have to get through this somehow.

As far as hiring help... I signed an affadavit swearing no employees, no workman's comp insurance. If I hired someone, and they got hurt.... DEEEEP trouble. I've had kids help me lay sod, that sort of thing, but no machine operation. Can't take that risk. Talkin jail time, nevermind personal liability loss potential as a DBA, not a Corp or LLC.

So, I am stalling. Time to go to work. :wacko:

If your doc didn't say what was wrong,they may not be broken or cracked.They could just be separated(the cartilage you were talking about).Unfortunately,this hurts like Hell as well.

Separated mine twice.Once water skiing,the other time snow skiing (I was blind sided by an out of control skier).It felt like I had a knife stuck in me-twist the wrong way,or sniff,or sneeze,and WOW.

Unfortunately I have busted my ribs, many times. They will stay with you forever, worse than a bad back. Best advice is to get a rib wrap to keep them in place so to speak while working. Try not to laugh or cough until they get better. Broke three whe Better yet have the Doc give you some Vicoden for the nights. Broke three when working for Redhook and had to fill in on the keg line for two weeks. Aleve or Ibuprofen(a lot) and the wrap helped to at least get through the day. Problem is the longer you prolong the healing process by working with them, the more you will get flareups down the line. I can be just sitting around and BANG it feels like someone stuck a knife in my side. Then goes away as fast as it came back.

Good luck Rover and find that wrap. Good ones go for around $30.

+1 cracked a couple in a car accident about ten years ago. It was months before I didn't have to roll myself outta bed like a 70 year old man. And yes it still bothers me to this day at times. Rest is the only way to heal them up but for your situation it is understandable you have to make a living. So try not to get yourself into too many situations that are gonna set you back from healing. Good Luck it is one of the most painful and frusterating injuries I ever had. I've had quite a few with 30 + years of sports under the belt. As stubborn aand competetive as I am I'm still playing and dealing with all the pains from the various past injuries :wacko:

Cracked one in a car accident, couldn't sleep on my left side for months, and couldn't even sleep on my bed (too hard getting in/out due to the cracked rib and other injuries). I slept in an easy chair, much better. Good luck, R.

Cracked one in a car accident, couldn't sleep on my left side for months, and couldn't even sleep on my bed (too hard getting in/out due to the cracked rib and other injuries). I slept in an easy chair, much better. Good luck, R.

Word... it was the right side that hurt the most, but getting into my truck Friday evening I heard and flet a pop/gravel/crackle from the left side. Now the right isn't bad at all, but the left is forkin killin me. When I roll over in bed I scream/moan. Yes, getting up from bed is a mutha. I darn near cry like a baby.

Actually sleeping on the side wit da broken ribs is better for me. Rovers???

Tried the easy chair thing and my ankles swelled like crazy! :wacko:

Missed the last 3 games of my last football season with two broken ribs. Went up to catch a pass leaving my side exposed and a saftey put his helmet right in them. Hurt like no other.

Ouch!

At least one athletic rib injury. Sorry Rovers, "slip and slides" don't count. :tup:

Actually sleeping on the side wit da broken ribs is better for me. Rovers???

Tried the easy chair thing and my ankles swelled like crazy! :wacko:

Ouch!

At least one athletic rib injury. Sorry Rovers, "slip and slides" don't count. :tup:

But my dive was a thing of beauty. Big air, good speed, perfect form. All present agreed it was the best slide of the day. Never let 'em know I was hurt. Did a Charles Atlas pose, walked across the street to my house, went inside, went into a fetal position and cried.

Cracked 2 in a car accident 2 yrs ago. Sneezing & coughing sucked, but the worst was trying to get out of bed.

While I can't help you out landscaping-wise, I can offer to drive you to the VA Hosp.

Good Luck, Rovers.

p.s. - lots of anti-inflamatories!!!

Rovers, if it makes you feel any better, when my brother and I were about 10 and 11 we went camping and we were swinging on a vine that was kind of hanging out over a somewhat steep hill. It seems that my dad didn't think we were doing an acceptable job of swinging, so he came up and said "let me show you guys how to do it the right way." So he swings out impressively far enough, but apparently he hadn't given much thought to his return because on his way back to us he smashed into a tree (ala George of the Jungle style) and then just kind of fell/slid down the tree until he crumpled up at its base. He broke three ribs. We still make fun of him about it almost three decades later.

Edited by wiegie

Rovers, if it makes you feel any better, when my brother and I were about 10 and 11 we went camping and we were swinging on a vine that was kind of hanging out over a somewhat steep hill. It seems that my dad didn't think we were doing an acceptable job of swinging, so he came up and said "let me show you guys how to do it the right way." So he swings out impressively far enough, but apparently he hadn't given much thought to his return because on his way back to us he smashed into a tree (ala George of the Jungle style) and then just kind of fell/slid down the tree until he crumpled up at its base. He broke three ribs. We still make fun of him about it almost three decades later.

no, I don't feel any better. You made me laugh. That hurts. But thanks anyway.....