[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kudos to the Tea Party

CaP'N GRuNGe

this has become way too confusing ... All I know is that I am tired of the spending and fiscal immaturity that has taken over congress on both sides of the aisle. I think there is a new montra among the middle class, no re-election's for those who have supported this kind of spending. And if that means they all have to go then so be it. :wacko:

this has become way too confusing ... All I know is that I am tired of the spending and fiscal immaturity that has taken over congress on both sides of the aisle. I think there is a new montra among the middle class, no re-election's for those who have supported this kind of spending. And if that means they all have to go then so be it. :wacko:

I will guarantee that 90% of incumbents are returned in November. Why? Because they always are.

I will guarantee that 90% of incumbents are returned in November. Why? Because they always are.

Money and campaing fund raising. But this has been a weird year with the one guy who doesn't have a job and won a primary, then the Kennedy seat in Mass., the Gov. election in Cali. It is going to be fun to watch, at least. But elections have turned into almost high school like popularity contests. It is like we get to vote on the cheerleaders.

Money and campaing fund raising. But this has been a weird year with the one guy who doesn't have a job and won a primary, then the Kennedy seat in Mass., the Gov. election in Cali. It is going to be fun to watch, at least. But elections have turned into almost high school like popularity contests. It is like we get to vote on the cheerleaders.

This is the way it has always been.

Yep, the only way out of this mess is to drag them kicking and screaming nekkid out of Washington DC. I can't wait for that day. That's some real hope and change. I will put myself in charge as dictator for awhile. It'll be okay. The weak won't survive long enough to hear their screams.

The TEA Party is very disorganized, and that is one of the things that appeal to so many people. It doesn't have any real leaders, it is more of a movement than it is a political party. It stands for lower taxes and less government in general. Because it lacks real organization there will be many many divergent views through out the differing Tea Parties, most of which are local organizations not affiliated with any larger group. I think this is really what appeals to so many people about it. I doubt we will ever see a Tea Party candidate, though there will be many candidates that the Tea party will support, typically more conservative republicans and libertarians though I know our local Tea Party has supported a few Democrats in local races. I've been to a few TEA party events but do not consider myself a member of the Tea Party.

With regard to Michelle Bachmann, she is basically the right's version of Nancy Pelosi. She has some appeal, for what she does, but I don't think she is viewed by any (or at least many) as a viable candidate for any higher office. Just like Pelosi on the other end of the spectrum I think she is far too polarizing, and if we had a more balanced government I think she would be irrelevant.

Ursa normally I would agree with you regarding incumbents, but this year is going to be different, primarily because of the economy. Promises were made that were not kept. We have higher unemployment than what Obama and Dems in congress promised we would have if the Stimulus was passed. Congress passed a terrible health care bill against the will of the people strictly along party lines. I think 90% might be accurate with regards to Republicans but I think the Dems in congress are going to be hit a lot harder than that.

Yep. And they all seem to protect themselves no matter their party affiliation. I wonder how much of the voting population in the U.S. would be in favor of term limits for Senators and Congressmen? I would guess a majority of people would be in favor of limits (I don't know that though) and yet we will NEVER see that happen... probably never even the idea brought to the floor.

Yep. And they all seem to protect themselves no matter their party affiliation. I wonder how much of the voting population in the U.S. would be in favor of term limits for Senators and Congressmen? I would guess a majority of people would be in favor of limits (I don't know that though) and yet we will NEVER see that happen... probably never even the idea brought to the floor.

We've had discussions of term limits come up before here in the TG, and I've been against them every time. For exactly the same reason I was against the Legacy Amendment here in MN. That amendment constitutionally set up a fund dedicated to environmental projects and arts projects. Rather than the legislature doing their job and actually budgeting for those projects in responsible way, we'll just make up a fund for them and earmark a bunch of money to it each year. Budgeting by constitution, very poor idea. Same with term limits for reps and senators. If the voters are too damn lazy and indifferent to educate themselves about what candidate best represents their views, then term limits won't matter. I feel that a great majority of the American voters are lifelong party voters, not ones who actually look outside the box for a more viable candidate. All you accomplish with term limits is that once the term of one party toady expires, another steps in and picks up where they left off. The American voters are primarily sheep and only want a shepherd who is a donkey or an elephant. Just my opinion.

Ursa normally I would agree with you regarding incumbents, but this year is going to be different, primarily because of the economy.

I read something this weekend about that 90% thing and even in periods of "revolution" such as when Reagan came to powerr and the Gingrich revolution, it was still 90%. I don't believe it will be any different this year, one reason being that the turnout will not go above 50%. Yes, really - 50% even in times like these!

We get what we deserve.

werd

There have been several occasions when the American people have voted for smaller government; most notably in 1972, 1980 and 1994. But it really doesn’t matter. You can vote for limited government, but you can’t get it; the political class won’t let you.

. . .

It remains to be seen whether the American people can finally break the grip of a political class that remains determined to run their lives and misappropriate trillions of dollars of their wealth. It will be, I think, a close-run thing. In the meantime, there is no mystery as to why most Americans do not regard the federal government as legitimate in Jeffersonian terms.

We've had discussions of term limits come up before here in the TG, and I've been against them every time. For exactly the same reason I was against the Legacy Amendment here in MN. That amendment constitutionally set up a fund dedicated to environmental projects and arts projects. Rather than the legislature doing their job and actually budgeting for those projects in responsible way, we'll just make up a fund for them and earmark a bunch of money to it each year. Budgeting by constitution, very poor idea. Same with term limits for reps and senators. If the voters are too damn lazy and indifferent to educate themselves about what candidate best represents their views, then term limits won't matter. I feel that a great majority of the American voters are lifelong party voters, not ones who actually look outside the box for a more viable candidate. All you accomplish with term limits is that once the term of one party toady expires, another steps in and picks up where they left off. The American voters are primarily sheep and only want a shepherd who is a donkey or an elephant. Just my opinion.

I don't think its a fair assessment to say that because incumbents keep getting re-elected people are getting what they deserve for voting for them. The fact is that in many cases they are unopposed and generally when they are the opponent is vastly underfunded in comparison.

I just don't think that being a US Representative or Senator should be a lifelong occupation. Too many (ie ALL) focusing on getting re-elected and not on what's best for the country long term.

term limits would be nice, but so too would a different primary system.

I'd like to be able to rank five candidates 1-5 with like 5 points going to my first choice, four to my second - all the way down until one for my final choice. That would broaden the playing field and keep people from feeling like they were throwing their vote away on an unlikely candidate that they believe in.

Heck - it could even work with national elections. Let's say we open the playing field to like 10 major parties (random number) and have people vote on their best five candidates.

term limits would be nice, but so too would a different primary system.

I'd like to be able to rank five candidates 1-5 with like 5 points going to my first choice, four to my second - all the way down until one for my final choice. That would broaden the playing field and keep people from feeling like they were throwing their vote away on an unlikely candidate that they believe in.

Heck - it could even work with national elections. Let's say we open the playing field to like 10 major parties (random number) and have people vote on their best five candidates.

I like this idea. The only problem is there are sections of the country where huge chunks of the populace can't count that high. Otherwise, a solid solution I'd support! :wacko:

This is the way it has always been.

John Roberts (appointed by 43), Samuel Alito (appointed by 43), Antonin Scalia (appointed by Reagan), Anthony Kennedy (appointed by Reagan) and pubes (appointed by Daddy) all decided back in January that corporations AND unions should be able to use as much of their money as they want to support whoever they want in presidential elections. This changed law that had been established sine 1907 and reaffirmed by the Supreme Court decisions in 1990 and 2003. It decision also eliminated McCain-Feingold.

tea partiers are republicans with different packaging.