[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Solar Storm to knock us off the grid?

Avernus

http://welcometoafreeworld.blogspot.com/20...headed-for.html

there is a video embedded in the article that explains this rather well....

On Sunday, NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory detected a complex magnetic eruption on the sun. The NASA Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) also spotted a large coronal mass ejection (CME) The eruption happened around (3:50 am EST), the SDO detected a C3 class solar flare originating from a group of sunspots (called sunspot 1092). The flare itself was not that large, but the filament located about 70,000 miles away erupted at the same time.

A filament is a large, bright feature extending outward from the Sun's surface, often in a loop shape. Filament is anchored to the Sun's surface in the photosphere, and extends outward into the Sun's corona. It is a long magnetic structure rising above the surface of the sun, filled with cool plasma. The flare and filament erupted at the same time, this suggests they are connected by long-range magnetic field lines. Some believe the flare may have accelerated the eruption of the filament. Eventually, a giant magnetic bubble of plasma broke and blasted out into space.

The problem is, the eruption occurred on the side of the sun facing earth which means, the Coronal Mass Ejection is on its way to the planet earth. It's expected arrival is Aug. 3. This is known as a geomagnetic storm, and they have been known to cause electrical power outages and damage communications satellites. They drive shock waves which produce energetic particles that can be damaging to both electronic equipment and astronauts that venture outside the protection of the Earth's magnetic field.

Expect the government and all observatories to be on high alert.They know a CME is coming, they can probably prepare for its arrival. The reason I find this particular story interesting is because the event being discussed continues to happen more frequently, and on a larger scale than prior events of such a magnitude. Is our solar system going through a time of great change? Should we spend more time laying under the stars? We will see how this particular CME effects earth on August 3rd. It will effect the area of earth facing the sun.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had two episodes today where someone's cell phone was really, really choppy. Maybe this is the cause. Or they're on that cheap-ass Cricket business. :wacko:

cricket and PCS Metro offer crap quality....I don't think we were hit by this storm yet...so it's safe to say they have a crappy cell phone service..

regardless, it would only knock us off the grid for maybe a half hour tops....and I mean this would be the worst case scenario...

imagine how catastrophic things would be if everything shut down for several months?...

:wacko:

I work for metroPCS.

But I agree... the quality is very subpar.

I've already said that Cricket and Metro will take over cell phone services due to competitive pricing and then will one day offer...decent service...

America is going the "cheap route" in the future, even though everyone seems to be buying $300 cell phones...

supposedly, its going to create a spectacular light show for those in northern latitudes.

For Minnesotans (?), they are saying it will be like Northern Lights on acid.

mmmmmmmmmm acid

keep hard copies of all your finances

should we buy gold???? i here you can make a nice stew with gold :wacko:

You say this based on what?

Read up on 2012 and you will learn. Everyone makes it out to be this end of the world, Armageddon type deal. The earth's life is a cycle.

The sun has everything to do with it and causes all kinds of problems with volcanic activity, earthquake activity, flooding, storms, sinkholes, etc.

Read up on 2012 and you will learn. Everyone makes it out to be this end of the world, Armageddon type deal. The earth's life is a cycle.

The sun has everything to do with it and causes all kinds of problems with volcanic activity, earthquake activity, flooding, storms, sinkholes, etc.

You'll have to be more precise. 2012 is a year, a film and a whole host of other things. What have you read that makes you say that?

They don't get to celebrate anything in Minnesota. This is like the fireworks display they never get to see.

Hey, they get to celebrate Tavaris Jackson being their starting QB this season.

The sun's activity usually ebbs and flows on a fairly predictable cycle. Typically, a cycle lasts about 11 years, taking roughly 5.5 years to move from a solar minimum, a period of time when there are few sunspots, to peak at the solar maximum, during which sunspot activity is amplified.

The last solar maximum occurred in 2001. The latest minimum was particularly weak and long- lasting.

The most recent solar eruption is one of the first signs that the sun is waking up -- and heading toward another maximum.