[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Basement flooded

matt770

Is the basement just a basement or was it turned into a den, playroom or something else. If its just a basement you may want to run up to Lowes and buy a pump and take care of it yourself.

:wacko: Sorry, he has a home theater and framed Rock art down there. :tup:

:wacko: Sorry, he has a home theater and framed Rock art down there. :tup:

I swear you must keep a spreadsheet. :tup:

It's about a 1/2 inch of water, mostly absorbed by the carpet, puddling in some areas. We've got a sectional sofa, 55 gallon aquarium and home theater like BJ said. I had this happen when I lived in GA (pipe broke) and I know it's going to start to reek down there pretty soon. I'll be spending the rest of the day moving everything upstairs. I guess tomorrow break down the tank and figure out what to do with all these fish temporarily, couple hundred dollars' worth.

I've got Servicemaster and ServPro calling me back, whoever can get here first wins. I may check some local places too. Obviously these companies are busy today.

Motherf*cker!!!!!!!!!

Anyone ever work with Servicemaster or ServPro, know if one is better than the other?

I worked for ServPro in the springs when I lived in Fargo, about 20 years ago for beer money. They are probably all about the same. I don't know if you have a finished basement or not but if it's a finsihed one, carpet pad is shot, carpet too probably unless it's just rain. The pad has to go. They should put them big industrial fans/ari movers in to dry it all out. They should spray some antimicrobial/bacterial stuff on the floor and walls. If there is any damage to to any sheet rock they should cut and remove that stuff too. If tehre's cabinets or any of that stuff they should remove the doors to let both the doors and the interior areas behind those doors dry out. They will both charge you a fee to rent the fans, set them up and come out and take them back unless your insurance is picking up the tab. That's all they do. No repair work.

If you have the time and gumption and there are fans to rent available, you can rent a Rug Doctor to suck up all the water and some fans from Home Depot and do it all yourself. You'll need to get the water out of the carpet even if it isn't salvagable just to move it out. If the carpet is salvagable, you'll want to give the fans a chance to dry it out so prope it up off teh floor in areas so the air can get under it. They have the spray stuff at Lowes and Home Depot too, don't forget that stuff.

That's what I recall we did. With the weather expect there to be a shorage of the fans you will need.

Good luck. Sorry.

Anyone ever work with Servicemaster or ServPro, know if one is better than the other?

A friend of mine who does clean-ups like this (He owns a cleaning comp.) hired ServPro when he had a major flood in his finished basement. He said they did a great job.

I swear you must keep a spreadsheet. :wacko:

It's about a 1/2 inch of water, mostly absorbed by the carpet, puddling in some areas. We've got a sectional sofa, 55 gallon aquarium and home theater like BJ said. I had this happen when I lived in GA (pipe broke) and I know it's going to start to reek down there pretty soon. I'll be spending the rest of the day moving everything upstairs. I guess tomorrow break down the tank and figure out what to do with all these fish temporarily, couple hundred dollars' worth.

I've got Servicemaster and ServPro calling me back, whoever can get here first wins. I may check some local places too. Obviously these companies are busy today.

Motherf*cker!!!!!!!!!

My house flooded years ago and it was a catastophe...I mean 6' of water in Queens NY there is a thread about it somewhere. My insurance company called Serv-Pro and I will never Penny Laneing use them ever ever again. They were horrible, charged WAY over what insurance was going to pay, I had to threaten them. They made empty promises....horrendous. They thrive on days like today,.

My house flooded years ago and it was a catastophe...I mean 6' of water in Queens NY there is a thread about it somewhere. My insurance company called Serv-Pro and I will never Penny Laneing use them ever ever again. They were horrible, charged WAY over what insurance was going to pay, I had to threaten them. They made empty promises....horrendous. They thrive on days like today,.

Very much depends on the franchise of course. Like someone else said, ServPro is a catchall name for a ton of franchisees.

We got all the carpet and padding out of the finished area, now running fans to dry it all out. Most of the water went out the door with the carpet and padding, the rest we got up with shop vacs and mops. Hoping the baseboards can just dry out and not have to be replaced, since they were not wet for that long.

From what State Farm is telling me, this likely isn't covered, so I'm doing as much of this myself as I can. Serv Pro wanted a $1500 deposit, they can jam it up their asses.

Will have someone come out in a couple weeks once it's completely dried out, to test for mold. Then assuming the cause has been determined and remedied, have new carpet put in.

Now would be a good time for all of you to make sure you have flood insurance. :wacko:

Might be a good time to consider tiling your basement floor and just using area rugs or bound remnants to warm it up. You'll never have to replace it if this happens again. Just have the rugs cleaned or do it yourself with a steam cleaner. No padding to worry about or replacement cost for a new rug installed. :wacko:

You really have to consider making some changes...

1. Regrade the soil around the house to make water drain away from the foundation. Even if you have to raise the soil level by 2 feet and build wells around the basement windows.

2. Run extensions off the down spouts from the gutters.

3. Regrade the property so the water ponds at least 30 feet away from the foundation.

4. Waterproof the walls. If the concrete has cracks in it, get them repaired before doing #1. Excavate if need be. This may involve digging a trench 8 feet deep around the entire foundation.

OR.... just band aid it, and forget about having a basement that won't flood again at some point. Sump pumps are a band aid.

I know a guy who had his entire foundation dug down to 8 feet.... had the foundation patched up to repair all the cracks, etc, got a gauarantee agaisst future floods, and it only ran 2 thousand. I know that's a lot.... but, that's probably the cost of two floods.

In the NYC area, the burbs, we get these torrential rainfalls nearly every othe year. I regraded and ran the extended down spouts and that fixed my flooding problem. This storm dropped 5 to 10 inches.... and that happens about every other year.