[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

St. Louis Rams

MTSuper7

Rams 3-3

Lions 1-5

Sorry. Had to.

Rams have had 4 games at home, 2 on the road.

Lions have had 2 games at home and 4 on the road.

Rams have played Arizona, Oakland, Washington, Seattle, Detroit and San Diego - combined record 14-20

Detroit has played Chicago, Philadelphia, Minnesota, Green Bay, St. Louis, and New York Giants - combined record 20-15

Half of the Rams games (3) have been against teams with losing records.

Lions have played 1 team with a losing record.

Head-to-head, just 2 weeks ago, the Lions, with their back-up quarterback, embarassed the Rams 44-6 (or doesn't head-to-head count any more

Factor in the Calvin Johnson play at Chicago, and the Rams have 1 more victory than Detroit.

The Lions are the better team. Of course, that's like winning a tallest midget contest. But it isn't very often that I can defend the Lions, so I'm going to take the opportunity.

Factor in the Calvin Johnson play at Chicago, and the Rams have 1 more victory than Detroit.

OK. "Factor in" the Cliff Ryan fumble at the 1 returning a Def TD vs ARI in week 1, and Brown missing a gimme figgie vs OAK in week 2, and the Rams could be 5-1. And of course.... if a frog had wings, the Rams would have 3 more W's than DET, instead of just 1.

OK. "Factor in" the Cliff Ryan fumble at the 1 returning a Def TD vs ARI in week 1, and Brown missing a gimme figgie vs OAK in week 2, and the Rams could be 5-1. And of course.... if a frog had wings, the Rams would have 3 more W's than DET, instead of just 1.

This ain't a "Detroit Lions" thread but the Lions are a much better team than their record would indicate. They should have a nice second half of the season in all honesty.

Rams have played Arizona, Oakland, Washington, Seattle, Detroit and San Diego - combined record 14-20

Detroit has played Chicago, Philadelphia, Minnesota, Green Bay, St. Louis, and New York Giants - combined record 20-15

Head-to-head, just 2 weeks ago, the Lions, with their back-up quarterback, embarassed the Rams 44-6 (or doesn't head-to-head count any more

The Lions are the better team. Of course, that's like winning a tallest midget contest. But it isn't very often that I can defend the Lions, so I'm going to take the opportunity.

And the Lions thread is?????? :wacko:

Ryan fumbled the ball in the third quarter. I don't think that there is any doubt that he fumbled it. One cannot say with any certainty that the outcome would have been any different had he scored - there was more than 1 quarter of football to be played. The league is not going to review any rule associated with that play.

Brown missed his field goal in the first quarter. I don't think that there is any doubt that he missed it. One cannot say with any certainty that the outcome would have been any different had he made it - there were more that 3 quarters of football to be played. The league is not going to review any rule associated with that play.

Calvin Johnson caught a touchdown pass with 25 seconds on the clock. (ask j2v) The league rule said otherwise. The league is going to review the rule. While one cannot be absolutely certain that the outcome of the game would have been different had the touchdown stood (its possible that Chicago a) could go about 50 yards or so in about 15 seconds, kick a game tying field goal and win it in overtime or; b ) score a TD in regulation), I think that its fairly safe to say that it would have.

So, if you want to set aside the head-to-head matchup (which STL fans have to do), you have to consider the frog's wings, unless of course you're going to be completely facile and consider records only.

Edited by Furd

Ryan fumbled the ball in the third quarter. I don't think that there is any doubt that he fumbled it. One cannot say with any certainty that the outcome would have been any different had he scored - there was more than 1 quarter of football to be played. The league is not going to review any rule associated with that play.

Brown missed his field goal in the first quarter. I don't think that there is any doubt that he missed it. One cannot say with any certainty that the outcome would have been any different had he made it - there were more that 3 quarters of football to be played. The league is not going to review any rule associated with that play.

Calvin Johnson caught a touchdown pass with 25 seconds on the clock. (ask j2v) The league rule said otherwise. The league is going to review the rule. While one cannot be absolutely certain that the outcome of the game would have been different had the touchdown stood (its possible that Chicago a) could go about 50 yards or so in about 15 seconds, kick a game tying field goal and win it in overtime or; b ) score a TD in regulation), I think that its fairly safe to say that it would have.

So, if you want to set aside the head-to-head matchup (which STL fans have to do), you have to consider the frog's wings, unless of course you're going to be completely facile and consider records only.

WADR... I'd counter with the notion that, the way the Rams defense has played so far this year, the extra quarter, or 3 quarters, would not make a difference... why not "factor in" momentum in something like this too? If the early FG is made or TD scored, maybe the alternate/parallel universe has the Rams intercepting OAK and ARI 3 more times.

"if... if... if..."

As for the statement "Calvin Johnson caught a touchdown pass...", according to the stats my league uses (along with a group known as the "NFL"), he did not catch a TD pass - according to the league rules, VERY well known since Bert Emanual "dropped" that pass here in the 99/00 NFC championship game - so the whole idea, IMHO, of coulda, shoulda, woulda, is a fruitless endeavor. And as much respect I have for the site admins and prognosticators, they don't control the scoring for the NFL, nor the league I am in. If Johnson really did catch it, then we need to change my week 1 win to a loss. Which brings me back to the point of "fruitless endeavor".

As for the H-t-H matchup, I don't throw that out at all. The league counts the game, so why should I not count it? I guess the Rams were also winless last year... as long as we don't count the win vs. the Cowboys? I comprehend your side of view is dependent on time left on the clock, my point is, the games are over, refs made their call(s), and that's it. We could be, we should be.... none of that matters because the records are what they are. Right now, the Rams are a .500 team. DET is a sub-.500 team. IMHO, saying "if we count this or don't count that", is the same logic used when a team says "DET beat STL, and STL beat SD, so that means DET will beat SD".

Just my :wacko: .

Edited by lennykravitz2004

Everything I've read said that they have no plans to review the rule. It's black and white, and was changed specifically to take out the subjectivity. The fact that a guy was trying to start his chest-thumping before he finished the play isn't going to carry much water in the league office IMHO.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bump to say that, despite the Rams being in their division race through the end of the season, they still only beat the Lions by that one Calvin Johnson catch. Promising seasons from both... :wacko:

Edited by MTSuper7