[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Blue Ray

BeeR

I'd recommend a PS3. In addition to being one of the top blu-ray players, you can stream Netflix and surf the web. Pandora runs on it too, which is really awesome. I rarely play games on it anymore but still use it all the time.

As others have said, if you have a 1080p big screen, you're not getting all you can out of it without blu-ray. Some movies, like the nature docs or big-budget action/adventure flicks, will blow you away if you have the right screen, player and sound system. You have to decide if that experience is important enough to you to spend the money, or if you're okay with being a lame ass with inferior gear.

If you have a 50" or larger 1080p HDTV, you will definitely want blu-ray, let alone if you have a home theater system that can deliver through PCM with the HD audio track...

the sound on a blu-ray is just as important as the picture which is phenomenal most of the time...

I'd recommend a PS3. In addition to being one of the top blu-ray players, you can stream Netflix and surf the web. Pandora runs on it too, which is really awesome. I rarely play games on it anymore but still use it all the time.

As others have said, if you have a 1080p big screen, you're not getting all you can out of it without blu-ray. Some movies, like the nature docs or big-budget action/adventure flicks, will blow you away if you have the right screen, player and sound system. You have to decide if that experience is important enough to you to spend the money, or if you're okay with being a lame ass with inferior gear.

You can also stream netflix, run pandora, and do other online stuff (not sure about web surfing) with alot of Blu Ray players now. The Samsung I just picked up for about $150 with tax can do those things, though I haven't set it up yet so I can't comment on the quality of those abilities. Can't play games on it though. :wacko:

1080 and 720 is REALLY only noticeable, IMO, on much larger TVs. On tvs under 50", IMO, its harder to tell a difference.

exactly.....on a 46 or smaller, 720p and 1080p are pretty much the same thing....

we're talking about the difference between 1080 lines of resolution and 720 lines on a 46" or smaller screen...

regardless, the 600hz on a plasma makes up for the TV being 720p and blu-ray is still worth the money spent...

I assumed this thread was a bump from 2008 :wacko:

I have a question as well...should I really ditch my 8-track player for these new fangled cassettes? I mean I really enjoy hearing the previous 10 seconds from a song again after the track changes. What say ye?

I agree here. Old movies are now even better to rewatch.

I don't have Blu-Ray and have never even watched a Blu-Ray movie. I don't know about watching old movies in HD is better. The HD made the bridge chairs in Star Trek from around 1980 look like a horrid mix of pink mixed with lavendar. It was brutal. :wacko:

I don't have Blu-Ray and have never even watched a Blu-Ray movie. I don't know about watching old movies in HD is better. The HD made the bridge chairs in Star Trek from around 1980 look like a horrid mix of pink mixed with lavendar. It was brutal. :wacko:

Santa should bring you a Blu Ray player with either Apocalypse Now or Full Metal Jacket.

I assumed this thread was a bump from 2008 :wacko:

I have a question as well...should I really ditch my 8-track player for these new fangled cassettes? I mean I really enjoy hearing the previous 10 seconds from a song again after the track changes. What say ye?

:tup:

If you care about quality then yes. Blu Ray is the best source for watching movies...period. The question varies individual to individual on how much you care on quality.

ETA: If you don't have a 1080p TV AND a surround sound system (this should be avanced as well) then it's not worth it. Blu Ray is the best because it outputs on 1080p and has lossless audio formats to go with that.

Edited by MrTed46

1080 and 720 is REALLY only noticeable, IMO, on much larger TVs. On tvs under 50", IMO, its harder to tell a difference.

exactly.....on a 46 or smaller, 720p and 1080p are pretty much the same thing....

we're talking about the difference between 1080 lines of resolution and 720 lines on a 46" or smaller screen...

regardless, the 600hz on a plasma makes up for the TV being 720p and blu-ray is still worth the money spent...

I posted the following in another thread and think it is well worth it to post it here too:

Great post about RESOLUTION LINK

With that in mind, that's why a set with a maximum 720 lines may be just as good as a set with a maximum of 1080 lines... Depending on it's size... Once the pixels get so small, it doesn't matter if the detail is lost anyway... Of course this varies based on your eyesight, and also the size of the screen vs your viewing distance. In fact, here's a really nice chart that demonstrates how resolution relates to viewing distance and tv size...

YOU WILL HAVE TO CLICK THE LINK TO SEE THE CHART

So as you can see, let's say your buying a 40" TV... The ONLY way you'll be able to tell the difference between a 1080 lines of resolution and 720 lines of resolution is if your sitting 5ft away or closer... If your buying a 50" TV, it's about 7 ft... 60" makes it about 7.5 to 8ft... So the honest truth is, in most peoples living rooms at normal viewing distances, you won't see the advantage of 1080 lines of resolution anyway.

seriously, click the link it is an unbelievably informative post

that has more to do with the transfer than anything....

I own the following Blu-ray's that are older and they look fan-frickin-tastic...

Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind

Enter the Dragon

2001: A Space Odyssey

2010: The Year We Made Contact

A Clockwork Orange

The Shining

..and a few others as well...

it all depends on how the transfer is done....some transfers get the booty..