[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

December 7th, 1941

Chief Dick

There was an old guy that would get his hair cut at the same place I did and one day we got to talking. He was a Pearl Harbor survivor. I would spend hours in the Barber shop just listening to him recount that day. I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to speak with one of the survivors and will never forget his stories.

After watching HBO's 'Pacific', I wanted to read the two books it was based on. I just finished Lechie's book. Started on Sledge's book. I know one cannot call war anywhere "civilized", but if I were one of America's greatest generation, I would not have wanted to serve in the Pacific. I'd rather freeze at Bastogne than have dealt with malaria, dehydration, 115 degree heat with 100% humidity, skin diseases, always being wet and covered with mud and surrou[nded by bloated decaying bodies. Going into caves to root out fanataical Japanese soldiers who tortured and defiled Marines and their dead bodies when they could, and left them behind for the US Marines to find them with their genitals stuffed into their mouths.

I don't know how the Marines did it. Incomprehensable. Not to take anything away from the men who fought the Germans, but that was a different kind of combat. War in the pacific, even for the Navy was hell on earth.

I read these accounts and am almost ashamed to call myself a veteran. I never came close to suffering the way those men did. In fact my hitch was an absolute gravy train compared to these heroes, and that is what they are, each and every one of them.

:wacko:

After watching HBO's 'Pacific', I wanted to read the two books it was based on. I just finished Lechie's book. Started on Sledge's book. I know one cannot call war anywhere "civilized", but if I were one of America's greatest generation, I would not have wanted to serve in the Pacific. I'd rather freeze at Bastogne than have dealt with malaria, dehydration, 115 degree heat with 100% humidity, skin diseases, always being wet and covered with mud and surrou[nded by bloated decaying bodies. Going into caves to root out fanataical Japanese soldiers who tortured and defiled Marines and their dead bodies when they could, and left them behind for the US Marines to find them with their genitals stuffed into their mouths.

I don't know how the Marines did it. Incomprehensable. Not to take anything away from the men who fought the Germans, but that was a different kind of combat. War in the pacific, even for the Navy was hell on earth.

I read these accounts and am almost ashamed to call myself a veteran. I never came close to suffering the way those men did. In fact my hitch was an absolute gravy train compared to these heroes, and that is what they are, each and every one of them.

Hear - hear!

To add, you should never be ashamed to be called a veteran. WWII was a different kind of warfare that we may never see again in the civilized world. Technology has removed the need for large masses of infantry invading a piece of land. Even Nam and Korea, while heavy on infantry, were different than WWI and WWII. The people who served during WWII, IMHO, were the apex of US Military Infantrymen and Armor. Even then, the differences between the Pacific & European Theater (not to mention Africa) was dramatically different.

As selfish as it may sound (hindsight being 20/20) I am glad I wasn't born during that period. Even with the training I received in the Army I wouldn't last 5 minutes on those islands or in Europe.

Missing gramps today - he served in the Pacific in WWII. Man did he get mad when he talked about Pearl.

I've mentioned it before, but one ofthe most touching and beautiful things I've seen in my life was when his Navy buddies helped lay him to rest in full dress - Taps and rifle salute. Some of those old guys were pushing 80 and could not have been more dignified.

Very well said. I always think of what my dad went through on Iwo and Okinawa when a day like today comes around.

To all those that served throughout that struggle, I salute you. :tup:

The greatness of that generation is only magnified by the disasters of the generation that followed.

I don't want to denigrate this post, but your obsession w/ MY generation's "Lack of excellence" is uncalled for in this post. Ever hear of the Vietnam war? Google it if you forgot about it. Shame on you.

Gob Bless all of our servicemen/women...then and since. :wacko: