[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Appliance Repair

Footballjoe

My Amana Washer was leaking water whenever we did the wash. I had the day off so I figured I would take a couple of hours and check it out. Just as I expected the water pump was bad. No problem. There are three bolts holding it on and the pump is directly in front where I have an access panel. I call the dealer to ensure they have the pump in stock. They do at the cost of $49.95 plus tax. I check on line but would only save $5 so I head to the store. I only go there once a year at the most so sometimes I have a little trouble finding it since its out of the way. So I am driving up and down High Street for 15 minutes knowing good and well I must have past it a dozen times. I remember used my cell to call them so I call for directions. Well wouldn't you know it. They moved just before Thanksgiving and forgot to tell me. :wacko: So I head in the direction I came and 20 minutes later I get there. They have the part I needed and I am out the door. So now comes removing the bolts. They are recessed in such a way I cannot see what type of head they have. I try all my sockets but nothing works. I call Amana which was like talking to a brick wall. I search on line but find nothing. I make a phone call to a friend (not a close one but know him well enough to give him a call) who is an appliance guy but get his voice mail. Then I remember I have an inspection mirror that I picked up about a month ago. While I am getting that my friend calls and I tell him the problem. He said they are torx heads, probably T20's. I confirm the torx heads with my inspection mirror. Now the big problem. I cannot get a socket with a torx adapter where it needs to be to remove two of the bolts. The standard socket is to short and the deep well is to long. :tup::lol::rofl: I go to the hardware store twice trying to find something that works. After many hours of frustration I take my hacksaw and cut the old pump out. I cut through the pump and not the bolts so I was able to access the bolts to remove them. So now the big question. How do I install the new bolts since I do not have a tool to that works. Perhaps try to find bolts with a standard socket head. Right now I am frustrated and pissed so I don't care but just had to get this off my chest before the wife gets home. Thanks for listening. :bow:

So, how was your day? :rofl:

My Amana Washer was leaking water whenever we did the wash. I had the day off so I figured I would take a couple of hours and check it out. Just as I expected the water pump was bad. No problem. There are three bolts holding it on and the pump is directly in front where I have an access panel. I call the dealer to ensure they have the pump in stock. They do at the cost of $49.95 plus tax. I check on line but would only save $5 so I head to the store. I only go there once a year at the most so sometimes I have a little trouble finding it since its out of the way. So I am driving up and down High Street for 15 minutes knowing good and well I must have past it a dozen times. I remember used my cell to call them so I call for directions. Well wouldn't you know it. They moved just before Thanksgiving and forgot to tell me. :wacko: So I head in the direction I came and 20 minutes later I get there. They have the part I needed and I am out the door. So now comes removing the bolts. They are recessed in such a way I cannot see what type of head they have. I try all my sockets but nothing works. I call Amana which was like talking to a brick wall. I search on line but find nothing. I make a phone call to a friend (not a close one but know him well enough to give him a call) who is an appliance guy but get his voice mail. Then I remember I have an inspection mirror that I picked up about a month ago. While I am getting that my friend calls and I tell him the problem. He said they are torx heads, probably T20's. I confirm the torx heads with my inspection mirror. Now the big problem. I cannot get a socket with a torx adapter where it needs to be to remove two of the bolts. The standard socket is to short and the deep well is to long. :rofl::rofl::bow: I go to the hardware store twice trying to find something that works. After many hours of frustration I take my hacksaw and cut the old pump out. I cut through the pump and not the bolts so I was able to access the bolts to remove them. So now the big question. How do I install the new bolts since I do not have a tool to that works. Perhaps try to find bolts with a standard socket head. Right now I am frustrated and pissed so I don't care but just had to get this off my chest before the wife gets home. Thanks for listening. :brew:

So, how was your day? :yay:

:lol: a dryer kicked my ass once :tup:

Well I am the worlds worst fix it guy.....

Notice a small drip from my faucet so I thought I would try - Googled it and it looked easy so I take apart the faucet handle and bring the part to the hardware store - guy says where is it leaking - I say the faucet - he says not the handle? No not handle - well then you have the wrong piece.

Now I go back home and unscrew the piece from the end of the faucet - bring to hardware store - he says no it is the stem piece from the bottom of the handle area and shows me. Head back home and get the stem piece - head back to store and I now have the right piece and he explains how to fix it and looks at the original piece I brought in and said I should throw away teh seal from that because it looks bad. He gives me packing tape for doing this.

Head back home and put stem back in and wrap packing tape around stem and put all back together - faucet does not drip - but now the handle does. Try a few things and now notice that it is also dripping from under the sink - so now I fixed original one drip but now have two NEW drips.

Fast forward to today - boss who is handy drives over to house and he looks at it - he looks at the original seal that looks like crap and say what's this? I say the original thing the hardware guy said was junk - he removes packing tape and puts that piece back in - ALL is fixed.

On the way out I say - hey do you know how to take that piece off of the light fixture? he says sure and tries unscrewing some plastic piece and it cracks in half - hardware store does not have anything to replace it.

So I go from one very small faucet drip to two other drips to getting that fixed to now not having my kitchen light work. SUCKS being an idiot!!

Well I am the worlds worst fix it guy.....

Notice a small drip from my faucet so I thought I would try - Googled it and it looked easy so I take apart the faucet handle and bring the part to the hardware store - guy says where is it leaking - I say the faucet - he says not the handle? No not handle - well then you have the wrong piece.

Now I go back home and unscrew the piece from the end of the faucet - bring to hardware store - he says no it is the stem piece from the bottom of the handle area and shows me. Head back home and get the stem piece - head back to store and I now have the right piece and he explains how to fix it and looks at the original piece I brought in and said I should throw away teh seal from that because it looks bad. He gives me packing tape for doing this.

Head back home and put stem back in and wrap packing tape around stem and put all back together - faucet does not drip - but now the handle does. Try a few things and now notice that it is also dripping from under the sink - so now I fixed original one drip but now have two NEW drips.

Fast forward to today - boss who is handy drives over to house and he looks at it - he looks at the original seal that looks like crap and say what's this? I say the original thing the hardware guy said was junk - he removes packing tape and puts that piece back in - ALL is fixed.

On the way out I say - hey do you know how to take that piece off of the light fixture? he says sure and tries unscrewing some plastic piece and it cracks in half - hardware store does not have anything to replace it.

So I go from one very small faucet drip to two other drips to getting that fixed to now not having my kitchen light work. SUCKS being an idiot!!

Call Puddy's guy next time.

So, the bathtub in my kids bathroom has been dripping since summer. Finally in November my wife's nagging gets to me enough that I figure I should try to fix it--I figure it's no big deal so I spend a few hours researching how to fix the thing on the internet before it finally dawns on me that my sister works for a plumbing supply store. So I call her up and she orders the replacement cartridge for me and has it already to go for me when I get down to St. Louis for Thanksgiving. So I get back up to Michigan with the part and go to remove the handle of the old faucet so that I can put the new cartridge in. And sure enough, I stripped the screw that holds the handle on (one of those stupid screws you use an allen wrench for).

Needless to say, my bathtub faucet still drips. Any advice?

(But I will say that I did disassemble, fix, and the reassemble my wife's Kitchen Aid mixer after it locked up and stopped working just as she was getting ready to start making Christmas cookies a few weeks ago--so I'm not completely a Puddy.)

So, the bathtub in my kids bathroom has been dripping since summer. Finally in November my wife's nagging gets to me enough that I figure I should try to fix it--I figure it's no big deal so I spend a few hours researching how to fix the thing on the internet before it finally dawns on me that my sister works for a plumbing supply store. So I call her up and she orders the replacement cartridge for me and has it already to go for me when I get down to St. Louis for Thanksgiving. So I get back up to Michigan with the part and go to remove the handle of the old faucet so that I can put the new cartridge in. And sure enough, I stripped the screw that holds the handle on (one of those stupid screws you use an allen wrench for).

Needless to say, my bathtub faucet still drips. Any advice?

(But I will say that I did disassemble, fix, and the reassemble my wife's Kitchen Aid mixer after it locked up and stopped working just as she was getting ready to start making Christmas cookies a few weeks ago--so I'm not completely a Puddy.)

You may need to drill out the screw in order to remove the handle.

P.S. If you get the handle off be sure to shut the water off BEFORE removing the locking nut holding the cartridge in. :wacko:

This reminded me of a story from a woman I used to work with. her husband wasn't handy at all, but he wanted to be so give him an A for effort. She wants him to hang a picture and he heads off to Home Depot to get the tools and everything else he needs to do the job right. He comes home and unpacks his handy-dandy new drill and gets ready to install the drywall anchor he was so proud of researching. He starts to drill and hits a water pipe. Not knowing what to do, he freaks out and calls her downstairs. Water is spewing out the bottom of the wall and drenching the carpet... neither of them know how to turn off the main. She calls a plumber and he eventually talks her through turning off the water, and once it was all said and odne the damage was over $1000. Needless to say he retired from the handyman role he clearly wasn't cut out for.

This reminded me of a story from a woman I used to work with. her husband wasn't handy at all, but he wanted to be so give him an A for effort. She wants him to hang a picture and he heads off to Home Depot to get the tools and everything else he needs to do the job right. He comes home and unpacks his handy-dandy new drill and gets ready to install the drywall anchor he was so proud of researching. He starts to drill and hits a water pipe. Not knowing what to do, he freaks out and calls her downstairs. Water is spewing out the bottom of the wall and drenching the carpet... neither of them know how to turn off the main. She calls a plumber and he eventually talks her through turning off the water, and once it was all said and odne the damage was over $1000. Needless to say he retired from the handyman role he clearly wasn't cut out for.

:wacko:

from the innernet/

Oil Change Instructions for Women:

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles

since the last oil change.

2) Drink a cup of coffee.

3) 15 minutes later write a check and leave with a properly

maintained vehicle. Money spent:

Oil Change $20.00

Coffee $ 1.00

Total $21.00

Oil Change Instructions for Men:

1) Go to auto parts store and write a check for $50.00 for

oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree.

2) Discover that the used oil container is full. Instead of

taking it back to O'Reilly to recycle, dump in hole in back yard.

3) Open a beer and drink it.

4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.

5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.

6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.

7) Place drain pan under engine.

8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.

9) Give up and use crescent wrench.

10) Unscrew drain plug.

11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: get hot oil

on you in process.

12) Clean up mess.

13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.

14) Look for oil filter wrench.

15) Give up; poke oil filter with screwdriver and twist off.

16) Beer.

17) Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him.

Finish oil change tomorrow.

18) Next day, drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car.

19) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18.

20) Beer. No, drank it all yesterday.

21) Walk to 7-11; buy beer.

22) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin

coat of oil to gasket surface.

23) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.

24) Remember drain plug from step 11.

25) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.

26) Discover that the used oil is buried in a hole in

the back yard, along with drain plug.

27) Drink beer.

28) Uncover hole and sift for drain plug.

29) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor.

30) Drink beer.

31) Slip with wrench tightening drain plug and bang

knuckles on frame.

32) Bang head on floorboards in reaction to step 31.

33) Begin cussing fit.

34) Throw wrench.

35) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit

Miss December (1992) in the left boob.

36) Beer.

37) Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as

required to stop blood flow.

38) Beer.

39) Beer.

40) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.

41) Beer.

42) Lower car from jack stands.

43) Accidentally crush one of the jack stands.

44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to

fresh oil spilled during step 23.

45) Beer.

46) Test drive car.

47) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.

48) Car gets impounded.

49) Make bail.

50) Get car from impound yard.

Money spent:

Parts $50.00

DUI $2500.00

Impound fee $75.00

Bail $1500.00

Beer $25.00

Total-- $4150.00

But you know the job was done right.

from the innernet/

Oil Change Instructions for Women:

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles

since the last oil change.

2) Drink a cup of coffee.

3) 15 minutes later write a check and leave with a properly

maintained vehicle. Money spent:

Oil Change $20.00

Coffee $ 1.00

Total $21.00

Oil Change Instructions for Men:

1) Go to auto parts store and write a check for $50.00 for

oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree.

2) Discover that the used oil container is full. Instead of

taking it back to O'Reilly to recycle, dump in hole in back yard.

3) Open a beer and drink it.

4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.

5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.

6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.

7) Place drain pan under engine.

8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.

9) Give up and use crescent wrench.

10) Unscrew drain plug.

11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: get hot oil

on you in process.

12) Clean up mess.

13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.

14) Look for oil filter wrench.

15) Give up; poke oil filter with screwdriver and twist off.

16) Beer.

17) Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him.

Finish oil change tomorrow.

18) Next day, drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car.

19) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18.

20) Beer. No, drank it all yesterday.

21) Walk to 7-11; buy beer.

22) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin

coat of oil to gasket surface.

23) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.

24) Remember drain plug from step 11.

25) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.

26) Discover that the used oil is buried in a hole in

the back yard, along with drain plug.

27) Drink beer.

28) Uncover hole and sift for drain plug.

29) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor.

30) Drink beer.

31) Slip with wrench tightening drain plug and bang

knuckles on frame.

32) Bang head on floorboards in reaction to step 31.

33) Begin cussing fit.

34) Throw wrench.

35) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit

Miss December (1992) in the left boob.

36) Beer.

37) Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as

required to stop blood flow.

38) Beer.

39) Beer.

40) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.

41) Beer.

42) Lower car from jack stands.

43) Accidentally crush one of the jack stands.

44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to

fresh oil spilled during step 23.

45) Beer.

46) Test drive car.

47) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.

48) Car gets impounded.

49) Make bail.

50) Get car from impound yard.

Money spent:

Parts $50.00

DUI $2500.00

Impound fee $75.00

Bail $1500.00

Beer $25.00

Total-- $4150.00

But you know the job was done right.

:wacko:As in 5 years ago

:tup: I think it just beat me. About 2 hours ago I we were doing a load of laundry and all of a sudden a noise occurred like a freight train coming through the house. I pulled the panel and found the motor working fine and the new belt turning ok but the drum was barely turning. The noise was coming from under the drum. I think the transmission is shot. :lol: I can't frinkin win.BTW. I just left Sears and bought a new Kenmore for $399. It was a $675 on sale for $395. I asked about zero per cent financing and was told it has to be one item for $399 or more. I said ok I will pay $399 for the washer. I was told I could not do that. I said if you want the sale you will. After a phone call to the manager the deal was done. So now for the Amana. I will make a phone call tomorrow to check with my friend but I think its shot. I hope I can recoup my $75 I just paid in parts by selling the new pump, belt, motor and controls. :rofl: Sometimes life does this. :wacko::rofl:

A man must know his limitations. Buy the new washer and stop trying to save a buck tight ass :rofl:

:tup: I think it just beat me. About 2 hours ago I we were doing a load of laundry and all of a sudden a noise occurred like a freight train coming through the house. I pulled the panel and found the motor working fine and the new belt turning ok but the drum was barely turning. The noise was coming from under the drum. I think the transmission is shot. :lol: I can't frinkin win.BTW. I just left Sears and bought a new Kenmore for $399. It was a $675 on sale for $395. I asked about zero per cent financing and was told it has to be one item for $399 or more. I said ok I will pay $399 for the washer. I was told I could not do that. I said if you want the sale you will. After a phone call to the manager the deal was done. So now for the Amana. I will make a phone call tomorrow to check with my friend but I think its shot. I hope I can recoup my $75 I just paid in parts by selling the new pump, belt, motor and controls. :bow: Sometimes life does this. :wacko::rofl:

See my post above :yay:

Edited by T_bone65