[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets/Colts

Chief Dick

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Credit to the Jets for the win. They played a good game and made the plays needed when they needed to make them.

That said, I'm frustrated with the Colts as a whole. Forever it seems this team has lacked an attitude of taking wins rather than just playing the scenarios hoping things will work out right for them.

The consistent lack of being able to convert short yardage situations, year after year, is inexcusable. IMO it cost the game tonight missing 3-4 third and 1 situations in the first half alone. If one of those drives gets sustained perhaps it turns into a FG at the minimum.

Coaching is too soft. Caldwell is a joke IMO, Dungy lite is my new name for him. He's done nothing of substance on his own to put his stamp on this team. He's riding Dungy's team and has even a smaller sack than Dungy has.

Defense cannot, regularly, stop the run at all. Sure on occasion they play well and have great games but they're not a unit that can be counted on consistently.

Special teams is, and has been, a COMPLETE joke for years. Yearly we search for a return guy, always failing to find one. ST kickoff defense sucks more often than not.

And some of this is slightly bitter for a loss where IMO they could have won had they not squandered opportunities. A lot of this comes from years of watching the Colts squander opportunities when it matters most. With all the success the Colts have had over the past 10 years, they should have more to show for it than they do.

Credit to the Jets for the win. They played a good game and made the plays needed when they needed to make them.

That said, I'm frustrated with the Colts as a whole. Forever it seems this team has lacked an attitude of taking wins rather than just playing the scenarios hoping things will work out right for them.

The consistent lack of being able to convert short yardage situations, year after year, is inexcusable. IMO it cost the game tonight missing 3-4 third and 1 situations in the first half alone. If one of those drives gets sustained perhaps it turns into a FG at the minimum.

Coaching is too soft. Caldwell is a joke IMO, Dungy lite is my new name for him. He's done nothing of substance on his own to put his stamp on this team. He's riding Dungy's team and has even a smaller sack than Dungy has.

Defense cannot, regularly, stop the run at all. Sure on occasion they play well and have great games but they're not a unit that can be counted on consistently.

Special teams is, and has been, a COMPLETE joke for years. Yearly we search for a return guy, always failing to find one. ST kickoff defense sucks more often than not.

And some of this is slightly bitter for a loss where IMO they could have won had they not squandered opportunities. A lot of this comes from years of watching the Colts squander opportunities when it matters most. With all the success the Colts have had over the past 10 years, they should have more to show for it than they do.

Well said..

Not really saying this cause I'm bitter, but the Colts have to let Caldwell go and bring in someone/ANYONE who has a sack and has that fire. You said it best - Caldwell is just riding Dungy's team. Also, here's to hoping that Bill Polian will focus on need next season and PLEASE draft a big ole fat boy and put him in the middle of the D-line. Who cares if he's slow. All he has to do is plug holes. They've needed one for 10 years now - had an ok guy in Booger McFarland but that was short lived. They need to get more physical on defense and stop trying to swarm to the ball when the opposing RB has already rushed for 7 or 8 yards on first down.. And one last thing.. LET ADDAI WALK!!!!!! You can spend money wiser in other places..

I was worried that the Jets would not be able to run against the Colts with 8 in the box. In the second half, they did it against not only 8 in the box, but sometimes 9 in the box. The Jets O line took the game over in the second half, good thing, because even against 8 in the box Sanchez was over throwing open recievers on every pass over ten yards.

I have to admit... I am chuckling that the "coltsfreaks" message board appears as though it blew a fuse. It's down.

I was worried that the Jets would not be able to run against the Colts with 8 in the box. In the second half, they did it against not only 8 in the box, but sometimes 9 in the box. The Jets O line took the game over in the second half, good thing, because even against 8 in the box Sanchez was over throwing open recievers on every pass over ten yards.

I have to admit... I am chuckling that the "coltsfreaks" message board appears as though it blew a fuse. It's down.

Congrats to your team Rovers. Enjoy this one! Gonna be a tough ride next weekend. Would love to see your Jets pull another upset - but it's gonna take Sanchez playing like an elite QB..

Congrats to your team Rovers. Enjoy this one! Gonna be a tough ride next weekend. Would love to see your Jets pull another upset - but it's gonna take Sanchez playing like an elite QB..

He isn't anywhere near that yet. And I agree with you. He sould have had two long TD passes today.

Belichick is our daddy. We know that. We beat them early in the year, but not late, and I doubt next week either. One can always hope, no matter how futile.

Congrats Jets and their fans.

This game boiled down to a few issues, all of which the Colts struggled with this year:

1. Stopping the run.

2. Converting on third and short.

3. Special Teams

It was amazing the Colts were able to win their division with these problems, but I knew a playoff run was unlikely. The Jets exposed all three tonight. The Colts offense has become more ball control, if you can be ball control without a running game, due to all the injuries. The defense has been gutted. They were down to their sixth or seventh safety tonight. But the defense is built to play with a lead, something the Colts offense has struggled providing this year.

Special teams are atrocious. I said all week that I thought the Colts would give up a big play in the return game, and they did. Running into the kicker didn't help either.

Third and short. Good god, it is time to invest in some offensive linemen. I hope.

Caldwell is a moran. Second time this year he has called a timeout to aid the opposing team in a two minute drill. No excuse for it, and completely retarded. I really think the Jets were fine with kicking a long FG. But with the extra timeout, decided to run that play to Edwards.

Hats off to the Jets. They earned it. Have fun next week.

Congrats Jets and their fans.

Hats off to the Jets. They earned it. Have fun next week.

Glad to see you handle the loss with class, CH.

Adam Schefter said it best today... Peyton has 13 seasons under his belt, and will be 35 on opening day next year. The window is finally beginning to close.

Whoever is running this team has to stop assuming Peyton will carry the franchise on his back - it seems the attitude is "Oh we can plug and play whoever, Peyton will make it work."

Has he shown us he is one of the best quarterbacks of all time? Absolutely. But the Colts demonstrate to fans and other franchises time and time again - there are several sides to the game, over 33 starters playing all three facets - and Peyton, or any player for that matter, cannot make up for lackluster talent or performances from the other 32+

This organization needs to stop being cheap and pay to bring in the necessary pieces to get Peyton back to a Superbowl - on both sides of the ball. Why not make your first-ballot HOFer's job easier rather than continue to insist on making it harder?

What improvements have been made on the defensive side of the ball since Dungy left? Or since he was there for that matter? Freeney, Mathis, Brackett, Bethae and Sanders (when healthy) - all the defensive studs in '06, and still the only defensive studs now, except older. You don't need to get more receivers to make Peyton better, you need to get players who can stop the damn run so Peyton can get back on the field.

I for one, feel very privileged to have been able to watch all of Peyton's career; he's an incredible quarterback, a great leader and most importantly an upstanding person. He is the player on and off the field that kids dream of becoming and franchises dream of drafting.

Had/If the Colts organization put more effort into improving the team around him and getting him another ring or two, he would have/could go down as the greatest quarterback in NFL history (in my opinion). Is Peyton at fault in some of his career's shortcomings? Absolutely. Obviously he's made many mistakes over the past thirteen season, and will be the first to tell you. But we all know that ultimately Peyton Manning is not the reason that Peyton Manning can't seem to get another ring.

At the end of the day, I think you'd have a hard time finding anyone who plays the position of quarterback better than Peyton. He is the gold standard for how the position is meant to be played.

I for one respect the hell out of him and really hope this organization can find a way to end his career on a high note.

One thing I think the Colts fans are missing is that the game should not have been close if Sanchez was half the QB Manning still is.

You can lament over the bad time out call, the ST's play, but Sanchez was awful. He overthrew at least two TD passes. Once the Jets CS lost any confidence in him, they were able to run all over the Colts in the second half even with 8 and 9 in the box.

Now, that same run D had worked against CJ, MJD and McFadden, but I think it is more a statement about the Jets' O line than it is about the Colts' front seven. Keep in mind too, that the Jets run D is still amoung the best in the league.

Given the injuries the Colts had, and the bad throws by Sanchez, the Colts played a heck of a game. They really should not have even been in a position to win. I think the Colts played great, and it was the Jets shortcomings that helped keep it close.

Funny, it depends on what side of the fence one sits one.

I don't get the Addai hate. He did what he could and did protect Manning on his way to a 108 QB rating.

One thing I think the Colts fans are missing is that the game should not have been close if Sanchez was half the QB Manning still is.

You can lament over the bad time out call, the ST's play, but Sanchez was awful. He overthrew at least two TD passes. Once the Jets CS lost any confidence in him, they were able to run all over the Colts in the second half even with 8 and 9 in the box.

Now, that same run D had worked against CJ, MJD and McFadden, but I think it is more a statement about the Jets' O line than it is about the Colts' front seven. Keep in mind too, that the Jets run D is still amoung the best in the league.

Given the injuries the Colts had, and the bad throws by Sanchez, the Colts played a heck of a game. They really should not have even been in a position to win. I think the Colts played great, and it was the Jets shortcomings that helped keep it close.

Funny, it depends on what side of the fence one sits one.

I don't get the Addai hate. He did what he could and did protect Manning on his way to a 108 QB rating.

I personally have not liked Addai for a few years, although I'm not vocal about it on the boards. I think he tippy toes around too much. By the time he decides on a direction to run its too late, the holes closed or the defenders are on him. In 5 years in the NFL his career long run is only 46 yards, and that's an exception to his norm for sure. I will give him credit for pass blocking, he does a nice job there. What we need though is a back that is more than a solid pass blocker, we need someone that can make a decision and go when he gets the ball. A little break away speed would be nice too :wacko:

ETA: With only being able to listen to the game I'll admit that I focused on the Colts perspective mostly. Broadcasting didn't mention too much how badly Sanchez was playing so hard to know how much opportunity was missed for the Jets. I do know the frustrations I've had all year with short yardage conversions and I felt early in the first that it would bite them and it did.

In the end the game was played and the better team won. I certainly will be pulling for the Jets next week and hoping those Pansies have a little rust from their week off.

Edited by tonyr0802

I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank the Matador for his kickoff return putting the Jets in position to get the winning field goal. With the Jets winning, the Chargers get an extra second round pick in next year's draft.

The Matador looked as if he was going to be the piece that contributed greatly to a Jets loss yesterday, but FINALLY helped the Chargers in a playoff game, albeit with the Jets, not against them. :wacko:

At this point I am hoping for a Jets v Flacons SB. I would love to see LT get a ring before he retires.

I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank the Matador for his kickoff return putting the Jets in position to get the winning field goal. With the Jets winning, the Chargers get an extra second round pick in next year's draft.

The Matador looked as if he was going to be the piece that contributed greatly to a Jets loss yesterday, but FINALLY helped the Chargers in a playoff game, albeit with the Jets, not against them. :wacko:

At this point I am hoping for a Jets v Flacons SB. I would love to see LT get a ring before he retires.

:tup:

I had forgotten about this.

He isn't anywhere near that yet. And I agree with you. He sould have had two long TD passes today.

Belichick is our daddy. We know that. We beat them early in the year, but not late, and I doubt next week either. One can always hope, no matter how futile.

I can't wait to see thousands of big foam feet at the stadium next week. :wacko:

Damn is the Colts offense the whiniest bunch when they are losing? They act like they can perform magic and make ghost flags appear out of nowhere. If they don't want contact, they should be playing flag football.

This, I have to agree with.

Great challenge on the kick off caldwell! :wacko:

Playoffs every year since 2001? Payton 9 and 10 record in that span. Time to retire big boy, your 5 gallon bust is waiting in the HOF.

I was thinking the same thing. Sanchez thows that exact same ball to Holmes and it's not even close to a completion. Edwards being 6'3 and having an insane vertical saved his ass.

What a mistake it will be when the Jets extend Holmes and let Edwards walk this off season.

You guys are nuts. First off he was not throwing to Holmes so that has nothing to do with the play. He threw a bad pass earlier in the game that was intercepted when they were in FG range. They were already in FG range - yes I know a tough FG but the last they they could ever have in that situation was an INT. He threw that ball where nobody else but Edwards was making that catch. It was a great throw and was a bit high but that was just being extra cautious.

Manning or Brady makes that throw and everyone praises the throw - Sanchez does and people say he was bailed out - idiocy in my opinion.

Glad to see you handle the loss with class, CH.

Adam Schefter said it best today... Peyton has 13 seasons under his belt, and will be 35 on opening day next year. The window is finally beginning to close.

Whoever is running this team has to stop assuming Peyton will carry the franchise on his back - it seems the attitude is "Oh we can plug and play whoever, Peyton will make it work."

Has he shown us he is one of the best quarterbacks of all time? Absolutely. But the Colts demonstrate to fans and other franchises time and time again - there are several sides to the game, over 33 starters playing all three facets - and Peyton, or any player for that matter, cannot make up for lackluster talent or performances from the other 32+

This organization needs to stop being cheap and pay to bring in the necessary pieces to get Peyton back to a Superbowl - on both sides of the ball. Why not make your first-ballot HOFer's job easier rather than continue to insist on making it harder?

What improvements have been made on the defensive side of the ball since Dungy left? Or since he was there for that matter? Freeney, Mathis, Brackett, Bethae and Sanders (when healthy) - all the defensive studs in '06, and still the only defensive studs now, except older. You don't need to get more receivers to make Peyton better, you need to get players who can stop the damn run so Peyton can get back on the field.

What should they do? They lost Bob Sanders, Melvin Bullitt, Aaron Francisco, and three other guys at safety this year. They were down to Ken Hamlin, who they just signed, to play safety yesterday. They lost both starting cornerbacks to IR. They lost their best linebacker, Clint Session, for the season. Their starting middle linebacker missed portions of the season with injuries. Their best run stopping DT, Anthony Johnson, was hurt and missed several games, including yesterday. I don't know too many teams that would be very good, let alone win their division with those kind of injuries. And I haven't even touched the injuries on offense this year. Dallas Clark, Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon, Joseph Addai, and Donald Brown have all missed significant time this year. The offensive line is the one area I think the Colts should have addressed better in the draft. I think they will this year. They wiffed on a couple of picks over the last few years with Tony Ugoh and Mike Pollak. It's difficult to just pick guys up off the streets to make up for that. But they definitely can't do it when injuries decimate your team. Yesterday, RT Ryan Diem missed the game. I've never seen a rash of injuries like the Colts had this year. Next year, with a fully healthy roster, they will be closer to an elite team. Peyton has at least 3 more great years.

Edited by CaptainHook

At the end of the day, I think you'd have a hard time finding anyone who plays the position of quarterback better than Peyton. He is the gold standard for how the position is meant to be played.

I don't expect everyone to agree but IMO, the best ever.

You should look up how many injuries the Packers have had this year. 16 or 17 players on IR . . and that doesnt count the guys that were injured for only a few games and came back.

Just sayin'

I'm sorry, but the Colts injuries were worse.

The Colts have 18 guys on IR. Session should have been. He never made it back, so that's 19.

3/4 of their starting secondary on injured reserve. Half of their WR's and their starting TE too. Starting RB missed 8 games.

Edited by CaptainHook