[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Finally ready

alexgaddis

Now for a side note, I am trying to sell my SDTV that I replaced on craigslist...had a person ask about it and I said it was still available...then I got this email...

Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay by money order as its the only way i can pay you at the moment.I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment have been received by you. I dont mind adding an extra twenty dollars so you can keep it in my favor.Reply with your full name,cell phone number,and address where payment should be sent.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me. Expecting to hear from you soon.

Regards

:wacko: why does this make me uneasy...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now for a side note, I am trying to sell my SDTV that I replaced on craigslist...had a person ask about it and I said it was still available...then I got this email...

Thanks for the response.I am willing to pay your asking price.I will pay by money order as its the only way i can pay you at the moment.I will make arrangement for the pick-up after payment have been received by you. I dont mind adding an extra twenty dollars so you can keep it in my favor.Reply with your full name,cell phone number,and address where payment should be sent.Please take the posting off craigslist today and consider it sold to me. Expecting to hear from you soon.

Regards

Straight cash homey!

ok, a week or so into the LCD HDTV and I have some issues...

1. Viewing angle: If I am not sitting directly in front of the television I notice the picture isn't ideal. The blacks get grayer and the picture looks "lighter"...

okay, thats really the only issue but its a big one for me...I went back to look at a comparable plasma but the picture wasn't as "crisp". It almost looked grainy from up close...

so now I am actually considering spending the extra $200 or so for an LED tv...

thoughts?

1. Viewing angle: If I am not sitting directly in front of the television I notice the picture isn't ideal. The blacks get grayer and the picture looks "lighter"...

okay, thats really the only issue but its a big one for me...I went back to look at a comparable plasma but the picture wasn't as "crisp". It almost looked grainy from up close...

thoughts?

I have an LED & love it. Between LCD, Plasma & LED...It was the only option I considered.

thoughts?

LCD has ALWAYS suffered from bad viewing angles. Plasma is much superior in this regards. I don't think the LEDs are going to give you any better angels because they are still an LCD TV.

I can sit damn near 180 degrees and still see a crisp picture with my plamsa. I think it's just one of the trade-offs between LCD and Plasma.

Edited by tosberg34

Regards

I got the same thing when I sold an air hockey table on Craigslist. F'ing scammers.

Thanks for the prompt response and Am ok with the last price of the 7-foot air hockey table i will love to make an instant purchase, also pls do

withdraw the advert from Craigslist,i don't mind adding an extra $20 for you to take the advert down so that i can be rest assured that am in hand of the 7-foot air hockey table. I will also like you to know that i will be paying via Money Order, and it will be over night payment due to the distance.You don't need to

bother your self with the shipment ok,i will take care of that..So i will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of the payment.

1: Your full name

2: Your mailing address be it residential address

3: Your State

4: City

5: Your Zip code

6: Your phone number.

I will be looking forward to hear back from you back

Thanks

LCD has ALWAYS suffered from bad viewing angles. Plasma is much superior in this regards. I don't think the LEDs are going to give you any better angels because they are still an LCD TV.

I can sit damn near 180 degrees and still see a crisp picture with my plamsa. I think it's just one of the trade-offs between LCD and Plasma.

I concur with this, I don't even consider LED or LCD a buying option unless it's for a small television...

buying a Panasonic Plasma of a G series or better is the smart money right now...Samsung has issues still with sound along with the reds and greens in the picture quality....and LG/Zenith sets get much hotter than the other sets (you could fry an egg on an LG plasma)...

unless you can get a Pioneer Elite Kuro Plasma, you're better off getting a Panasonic...

LOL, LED are still LCD, they just use LED's instead of a backlight.

I have a toshiba Regza LCd, and I am stitting katty corner across the room from it and it looks superb.

yuup.....but LED's usually have a much higher contrast ratio as well....the LCD's usually have a contrast ratio of 100,000:1 or higher (but not by much) while LED's usually have 2,000,000:1 or higher....up to around 8,000,000:1 which could be extremely exaggerated anyways...

but the technology is the same and I spent about 20 mins trying to explain to someone yesterday that LED TV's are in fact LCD TV's with a different lighting source....

thoughts?

Some LCDs (both normal and LED LCD) are better at this than others, but all suffer viewing angle problems to some extent.

With those added dollars, you could probably swing the Vizio XVT423SV that I mentioned before. I've not noticed a significant viewing angle problem on mine and I regularly view from about 30 degrees off center. Walmart and Sams Club have them right now for about 1K.

• 4 months later...

Just brought my new baby home yesterday! woop woop!

Here she is!

Rule of thumb: Decide on the size you want for your place...and then go one size higher.

Great info here. Was settled on the 46" class but bumped it up and once I set it up, I was glad I did.

As far as refresh rate, check out this site before you buy. Lot's of good stuff here on LCD's, LCD vs Plasma, reviews, etc...

Great site with tons of info. Plenty of time spent here during my week of research. :wacko:

Don't buy your HDMI cable at Best Buy. Go to monoprice.com

One of THE top pieces of advice I've ever gotten from someone online or in the "real world" . I spent 80 bucks on new cables and a wall mount and that is with shipping. If I had bought the same stuff at Best Buy, total cost would of been well over $300. Are you kidding me?? Thanks CD!

Just in case you need 30 opinions before you make a decision . . .

2) If you're purchasing the tv from Best Buy, follow this procedure: a) purchase tv; b ) purchase only tv; c) the second that someone mentions the word cable, or warranty or calibrate, forget that you know the english language; d) punch, in the face, anyone that questions your forgetfulness e) immediately take tv to vehicle.

LOL! Yup. I've been researching for a week prior to purchase. CNET, LCDTV, AVS ..... plus this thread. No cables, no mount, no calibrating and no friggin warranty! Good call Furd

3) Go to monoprice.com for the cables that you need. If you need help with this, there are 30 people that frequent this forum that can help you with this.

Again, great site. Anyone who buys this stuff from a retailer is a sucker.

some stores have warranty's that are worth the money - Best Buy is not one of them....

They really give you the hard sell but I was armed with my notes, a week of research and plenty of questions. You fail Best Buy.

If you get a Samsung that has Auto Motion Plus, turn it off. It makes the picture look like a freaking soap opera for everything. Drove me nuts until I figured it out. Sony has something similar but I forget what it's called. It's supposed to make the picture smoother but also ends up making everything look like it was shot live or something. You'll know what I mean when you see it. Soap opera is the best way to describe it.

Yup did this as well. Looked funny for normal viewing so I turned it off. Turned it on again for the race last night and it was insane! Wow, I might never leave the house again.

Question: Should I leave it on or off when I'm playing Call of Duty?

and its really only $3 instead of the $50 at Ultimate Electronics?

LOL! Yeah, I couldn't believe it either.

Thanks to everyone who provided knowledge in this thread. It really helped a ton :tup:

The TV size you want really depends on the size of the room and your preference for viewing distance. A 42 may be just right. That is your call. I recently purchased the Vizio XVT423SV for my smallish TV room. Anything more than a 42" would dominate the room. AVS forum link.

This is true. A 55 inch screen would look silly in my sun porch. If I replace my old Sony downstairs, It will probably need to be the 55.

How long does it take to get your cables at monoprice.com? I'm sure that Best Buy gets mucho profit on those things, but does anyone want to wait 3 days to se up their new tv? Maybe if you know that you're getting one, you should be geting the cables that you know you will need ahead of time.

For a replacement TV, is it worth it to buy a Costco membership to get a TV there?

what is the difference in price of particular models of sets?

otherwise, i have had good luck with amazon pricing and quality.

How long does it take to get your cables at monoprice.com? I'm sure that Best Buy gets mucho profit on those things, but does anyone want to wait 3 days to se up their new tv? Maybe if you know that you're getting one, you should be geting the cables that you know you will need ahead of time.

Depends where you live. Monoprice ships from the LA area, so I can get stuff the next day since I live in California. If you live farther away, faster shipping generally isn't much more expensive. And I always order a couple more cables than I need.

They offer a few different methods of delivery. Since I was saving so much on the cables, I got the 3 day delivery which cost 12 bucks. Still with the delivery my total was $40 for 2 6ft cables and it got here in 3 days as advertised. If like monster said they were in Cal. that's pretty fast shipping all the way across the country. Like you said, I knew I was getting a tv so I just ordered the cables and wall mount in advance.

• 2 months later...
then you'll have to wait at least until next year at the earliest to beat me

well, I think I lied

Saw that DirectTV was giving away the Sunday Ticket and switched. I'm getting free HD programming and my wife has been complaining that we need a new tv, so I think I am going to make the plunge in the next few days.

Now I just need to do all of the research involved. :wacko:

well, I think I lied

Saw that DirectTV was giving away the Sunday Ticket and switched. I'm getting free HD programming and my wife has been complaining that we need a new tv, so I think I am going to make the plunge in the next few days.

My God, the 5th sign of the apocalypse! Run, run for your lives! :tup:

well, I think I lied

research for a TV is over-rated....what is the size and price range you're looking for...and is there a lot of lighting in your TV room or is it about average light with the possibility of dimming when maybe watching a movie?....this will determine whether you should get Plasma or LCD/LED...and that is half the battle...