[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Egypt

SEC=UGA

We have a pretty good relationship with Mubarak and he has helped us out quite a bit in that region. His is somewhat of a dictator, but is a "moderate" voice in the Muslim community.

In the past, we have been all for promoting democracy, which is what the Egyptians are clamoring for due to current economic conditions that they are blaming on the current government. The current fear is that the Islamic Brotherhood in Egypt could surge to power and leave us with a less friendly country to deal with.

Should we tell Mubarak to pack his sh!t and bow to the will of the people or do we just let things go without taking a firm stance as we have done to this point?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should we tell Mubarak to pack his sh!t and bow to the will of the people or do we just let things go without taking a firm stance as we have done to this point?

As far as foreign policy goes, I don't care if a country has a democracy, theocracy, monarchy or whatever, as long as it acts reasonably with respect to the US and, to a much lesser extent, is not brutal toward its people.

Let Egypt sort itself out.

As far as foreign policy goes, I don't care if a country has a democracy, theocracy, monarchy or whatever, as long as it acts reasonably with respect to the US and, to a much lesser extent, is not brutal toward its people.

Let Egypt sort itself out.

This.

Egypt is a few steps short of a disaster. The corrupt, incompetent regime will not survive.

Most likely outcome--- the Generals take charge, announce a reform government, start the process of responding to the injustice and despair of the common citizen. Then the situation staggers along for some period.

Worst outcome the Generals stand with the same gang that has looted the nation--- probably minus Mubarak. Then there is a possible civil war with the soldiers in many cases siding with the people not their officers. The only organized opposition is the Muslim Brotherhood which could then possibly gain power.

Our central US foreign policy concern is the stability of the Peace Treaty with Israel. At the end of the day if required--- we would go to war to prevent the annihilation of the Israelis. This would be a terrible outcome for the entire region.

And--- oh by the way---there is the matter of the Suez Canal and the flow of oil to a Europe with an increasingly ant-Israeli political stance.

We have few good options. The President and Secretary Clinton are carefully walking the line. Oddly enough--- only the last Administration with President Bush and Secretary Condi Rice has ever taken a strong reform position with Mubarak.

This one is important. Egypt is central to peace in the region. Their people have been ill-used by the Mubarak Regime. Watch the enlisted soldiers of the Egyptian Army. If they go with the people--- there will be incredible bloodshed.

Barry McCaffrey, General Ret.

We have a pretty good relationship with Mubarak and he has helped us out quite a bit in that region. His is somewhat of a dictator, but is a "moderate" voice in the Muslim community.

In the past, we have been all for promoting democracy, which is what the Egyptians are clamoring for due to current economic conditions that they are blaming on the current government. The current fear is that the Islamic Brotherhood in Egypt could surge to power and leave us with a less friendly country to deal with.

We are all for promoting Democracy, when it suites our needs. When we dont have a direct self interest, we turn a blind eye and dont care. :wacko:

It's gonna be awesome paying $40 to fill my 11 gallon tank. . .can't wait for that.

Good. In the long run, our dependence on foreign oil is a bad thing. And the main reason we stay dependent on foreign oil is that it's cheap.

As far as the Egyptians go, good for them. I only wish it had happened in Iran. Perhaps oppressive regimes around the world will take note. Obviously there is tremendous risk in what will evolve to fill the void (assuming Mubarak is removed or steps down) but human beings deserve the freedom of self determination. That's something Americans should understand.

We are all for promoting Democracy, when it suites our needs. When we dont have a direct self interest, we turn a blind eye and dont care. :wacko:

Anyone else think what's going on over there is beautiful? I'm personally encouraged seeing the people rise against the government. Gives me hope.

Well and that is kind of the rub since I am selfish. I guess it would be beautiful if they all started growing pot and listening to Jenny and Johnny. If their goal is some kind of Islamic fundamental state then not so much.

Anyone else think what's going on over there is beautiful? I'm personally encouraged seeing the people rise against the government. Gives me hope.

I don't know if I would go so far as to call it beautiful, but I see nothing wrong with people rising up and throwing off the shackles of oppression. Liberty finds a way! I don't really share the fear-mongering that I've heard by some so far, that we need to be terrified that Muslims will be in control. Well, yeah... it's a Muslim country. Either way Muslims are going to be in control. It will be interesting to watch and see what kind of life they decide to choose for themselves.

I don't know if I would go so far as to call it beautiful, but I see nothing wrong with people rising up and throwing off the shackles of oppression. Liberty finds a way! I don't really share the fear-mongering that I've heard by some so far, that we need to be terrified that Muslims will be in control. Well, yeah... it's a Muslim country. Either way Muslims are going to be in control. It will be interesting to watch and see what kind of life they decide to choose for themselves.

M00slims run Saudi Arabia, their populace have no freedoms like in a democracy, they are run by sharia law, and we are best buddies with them. :wacko: But we dont want democracy there or regime change there because it suits our self-interest for oil.

Democracy is awesome . . . until it isnt in our national self interest.

Anyone else think what's going on over there is beautiful?

The death toll is over 100 and counting. Call me a pinko tree hugging hippie, but I don't think that's beautiful in any way, shape or form.