[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Glee

SLAYER

At least 5 times a week I get told "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DON'T WATCH (insert current TV show here)!!!!"

Truth is, I tivo Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, PTI, and a few woodworking shows. Other than that, I don't turn on the TV anymore. I don't even check out SportsCenter in the mornings. It's a happy combination of being too busy and assuming most shows are crap.

At least 5 times a week I get told "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DON'T WATCH (insert current TV show here)!!!!"

Truth is, I tivo Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, PTI, and a few woodworking shows. Other than that, I don't turn on the TV anymore. I don't even check out SportsCenter in the mornings. It's a happy combination of being too busy and assuming most shows are crap.

I'm intrigued. What are some good ones?

Its one of the few true family shows on TV these days, so our family of six has it tuned in every week. It ain't as bad as you'd think , and the cast can really sing some tuneage.

Oh, and Dianna Argon might be one of the sexiest ladies on TV, which helps.

Your definition of true family show and mine are waaaay different.

My wife watched the first season, in that we had an engaged lady that was constantly trying to get with some dude not her husband. A woman faking her pregnancy and wanting to adopt the child of the pregnant teenage girl who was carrying a baby that was not her boyfriend's but had her boyfriend convinced it was his. You had another part where they brought in some girl who dropped out of HS 12 years prior who was a drunkard and harlot that liked to break into other people's homes. I honestly, can not think of one non-dysfunctional person/family on that show.

ETA: I would argue that "Modern Family" is more of a "family show" than is Glee.

Edited by SEC=UGA

Its one of the few true family shows on TV these days, so our family of six has it tuned in every week. It ain't as bad as you'd think , and the cast can really sing some tuneage.

I have watched parts of it once and found the subject matter completely inappropriate for kids. No way is my family watching this thing.

That said, everyone is very talented and the show is pulled off beautifully. I just cringe at the subject matter and the way they deal with it...

Edited by muck

My wife loves the show. A lot of it is nails-on-the-chalkboard material for me, especially Lea Michelle's character and the gay kid. Last night I stayed in the room while it was on, read magazines and half-watched it. It was a more tolerable episode. The lesbian gym teacher and the dumb cheerleader get some hilarious lines.

I'm intrigued. What are some good ones?

My 2 faves are

New Yankee Workshop - It stopped production in 2009, but with 20 years of episodes it's never a problem seeing new material. Norm's a straight up beast.

Woodsmith Shop - It's a little ghey in the presentation (you're constantly wondering if the hosts are diddling each other after the camera is turned off), but they go over techniques in a way that's good for beginners.

My 2 faves are

New Yankee Workshop - It stopped production in 2009, but with 20 years of episodes it's never a problem seeing new material. Norm's a straight up beast.

Woodsmith Shop - It's a little ghey in the presentation (you're constantly wondering if the hosts are diddling each other after the camera is turned off), but they go over techniques in a way that's good for beginners.

+1 for Norm. I've loved that show since the beginning and I never even owned a circular saw until about 3 years ago. It's just a blast to watch him create something great in 30 minutes.

I've always loved This Old House too.

I have watched parts of it once and found the subject matter completely inappropriate for kids. No way is my family watching this thing.

That said, everyone is very talented and the show is pulled off beautifully. I just cringe at the subject matter and the way they deal with it...

Points taken, but know that my 4 and 7 year-old kids are not interested in it...they just play or read while my 11 and 9 year-olds enjoy the show. And to be honest, while there are some questionable and uncomfortable story lines, they are certainly no worse than some other 8:00 viewing-time shows. Do they bring up some topics that need explanation? Yep, and I am happy to have those chats with my kids...better me than then exploring for answers on their own. Last nights show was about teen drinking...I was happy to tell my kids about the perils of overindulging, but the show did a solid job of it (first showing the cast getting hammered at a party and having a blast, then some of them screwing up a performance because they were buzzed and vomiting, then finishing with them all admitting overindulging is wrong).

80-90% of the show is innocent fun, singing, and dancing. I find it tough to find another show in that range.

:wacko:

Heather Morris

Points taken, but know that my 4 and 7 year-old kids are not interested in it...they just play or read while my 11 and 9 year-olds enjoy the show. And to be honest, while there are some questionable and uncomfortable story lines, they are certainly no worse than some other 8:00 viewing-time shows. Do they bring up some topics that need explanation? Yep, and I am happy to have those chats with my kids...better me than then exploring for answers on their own. Last nights show was about teen drinking...I was happy to tell my kids about the perils of overindulging, but the show did a solid job of it (first showing the cast getting hammered at a party and having a blast, then some of them screwing up a performance because they were buzzed and vomiting, then finishing with them all admitting overindulging is wrong).

80-90% of the show is innocent fun, singing, and dancing. I find it tough to find another show in that range.

Ill take the heat with you on this one. I agree it isnt always appropriate for kids but my kids watch it too. Like you said, there are uncomfortable story lines but we have had some pretty good discussions come out of it with the kids. Text book parenting would say my kids should not watch it but they do and like Swammi said , a majority is singing and dancing and its a lot of songs that they like .

IMO, there are other (and better) ways to bring up these sorts of topics in a real-world sort of way ...

I agree and i am not saying we watch Glee as a means to speak with our kids. It is just conversation that spawns from some of the things they see on Glee that is over their heads. My wife and I have very healthy dialogue with our kids

Ill take the heat with you on this one. I agree it isnt always appropriate for kids but my kids watch it too. Like you said, there are uncomfortable story lines but we have had some pretty good discussions come out of it with the kids. Text book parenting would say my kids should not watch it but they do and like Swammi said , a majority is singing and dancing and its a lot of songs that they like .

My kids are too young to be interested in Glee, but my wife does watch it. As shows go, it's okay. I tend to get into something on my laptop while she's watching it, but I'll find myself watching too at times. Some songs are good, some aren't. There are much worse shows out there. As a kid, I used to watch MTV all the time, and it was actually good in the 80s. The the success of Real World propelled MTV into a lot of garbage television. I couldn't imagine letting a teen or pre-teen watch MTV the way it is right now.

As channels go, MTV is the one I'm the most afraid of my kids stumbling upon one day and watching. Shows like Jersey Shore and Teen Mom do nothing but exploit and glamorize poor choices like promiscuity and overindulgence in alcohol / drugs. I have only read about Teen Mom, but the comparison I heard is that it's in the same light as the movie "Kids" which also shows / teaches things I wouldn't want my kids to learn. So as far as Glee is concerned, I can think of MUCH worse shows on TV that I'd steer my kids away from. In the end, what a kid watches on TV isn't as important as how the parent is involved. Most shows are okay to watch with your kids and explain with them (except shows in the mold of MTV's craptastic lineup). And if you instill in your kids the convictions by which you live (and which are the groundwork for the rules of your household), your kids will be better equipped to make the right decisions about things like TV when they are older.

I have only read about Teen Mom, but the comparison I heard is that it's in the same light as the movie "Kids" which also shows / teaches things I wouldn't want my kids to learn.

The Shiekette and my SIL have Teen Mom watching parties every Tuesday, so I've been subjected to a little bit of it. If I had a daughter I'd not only be OK with her watching it, I'd FORCE her to watch it. And at the end of every episode our discussion would begin with "So, would you like to live like that?" Seriously, it's enough to scare anyone with half a brain to be abstinent until they're 30 and fully employed with benefits.

ETA - and it really is horrible what's happened to MTV. It's gone from the hippest, most innovative channel on TV to an absolute garbage heap.

Edited by SheikYerbuti

We let our 12 year old daughter watch Glee, but we do not allow the 9 year old daughter to watch it. I think a lot of it depends on the age and maturity of the children. We've already had "the talk" with the 12 year old, but still haven't with the 9 year old. I feel my 12 year old knows enough to determine what is appropriate, and what isn't appropriate in the show, and knows when certain things can be talked about and when certain things should not be discussed. My 9 year old on the other hand is going to tell everyone everything she sees, and take into no consideration the setting that she is in. We will shield our children from some subject matter, and if it is a show that tends to push the envelope we will read the summary of that episode and determine if one or both of the girls should be allowed to watch it.