[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

an 8.8 (!) magnitude earthquake has near Japan

wiegie

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just happened within last 30 minutes or so

This could be really really bad.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/...n.quake/?hpt=T2

okyo (CNN) -- An 8.8-magnitude earthquake hit Japan early Friday, triggering tsunami warnings and sending people fleeing out of buildings in the capital.

The quake rattled buildings and toppled cars off bridges and waters underneath. In Tokyo, crowds huddled together and tried to reach relatives via cell phone.

Its epicenter was 373 kilometers (231 miles) from Tokyo, the United States Geological Survey said.

It triggered a tsunami warning for various countries, including Japan and Russia, the National Weather Service said.

"Earthquakes of this size are known to generate tsunamis potentially dangerous to coasts outside the source region," it said.

Local news here is reporting a tsunami has actually hit Japan and there have been deaths. I'm seeing videos of buildings on fire and cars underwater. :wacko:

Edited by Chargerz

this is horrible--you can see people in cars trying to flee the tsunami and it does not seem like all of them have been succesful.

I was trying to imagine myself in a car watching a wall of water come toward me. I can't.

They're showing massive ocean waves headed toward shore. :wacko:

On CNN alone, I've seen at least 100 moving cars get engulfed, and I could even make out some people on the ground. The death toll is going to be staggering. It was so strange, I was watching these people get killed, and the announcers never said anything about it. This is bad, real bad. God have mercy on Japan.

The video of the tsunami sweeping across the Japanese towns, fields, and roads is some of the most riveting I've ever seen. The immense power of the water is incredible.

The video of the tsunami sweeping across the Japanese towns, fields, and roads is some of the most riveting I've ever seen. The immense power of the water is incredible.

I've never seen video like that either. Unbelievable amount of water. :wacko:

:wacko:

3x9.84=29.52'

My kid says i'm wrong....dangit i goggled it ta get the formula instead of askin :lol:

OK JOHN HOW TALL IS 3 METERS :tup:

About 9 feet. Actually 3.28084 feet in a meter. 3 feet in a yard.

I think your google might be broken.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

It was supposed to hit at 8:07 EST. I think they're OK so far.

The first waves were fairly light. The larger waves that are due anytime this hour may be a different story. :wacko:

CNN now reporting many US Naval ships are being put out to see from ports in California so as to not be damaged.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

On Wednesday I started to receive a bunch of earthquake alerts out that way and I requested to put our Tokyo facility on alert (business continuity wise). I had a bad feeling there was a bigger one coming but have no clue or forethought it would be something like this. I was worried about server racks falling over or something along those lines but not this.

2011-03-09 02:45:18 UPDATED: (M 7.2) NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN 38.5 142.8 (2b636)

2011-03-09 18:16:15 (Mw 6.0) NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN 38.3 142.7 (2b636)

2011-03-09 18:44:35 (M 6.3) OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN 38.5 143.2 (2b636)

2011-03-09 21:24:51 UPDATED: (M 6.6) NEW BRITAIN REGION, P.N.G. -6.0 149.7 (2b636)

2011-03-10 17:08:36 UPDATED: (M 6.2) BALI SEA -6.9 116.8 (2b636)

2011-03-11 05:46:23 (M 7.9) NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN 38.3 142.4 (2b636)

2011-03-11 05:46:23 UPDATED: (M 8.8) NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN 38.3 142.4 (2b636)

2011-03-11 06:15:45 (Mb 6.8) NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN 36.1 140.2 (2b636)

2011-03-11 06:25:51 (Mb 7.1) OFF EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN 38.1 144.6 (2b636)

2011-03-11 06:15:40 UPDATED: (Mb 6.8) NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN 36.2 141.2 (2b636)

now possibly fixing to hit the west coast :wacko:

I'm packing up the family and headed up to higher ground!

Not because of the tsunami, but because it's my wife's 40th b-day party tomorrow and we are heading over the mountain pass early afternoon.