[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Strategy-Winning a fantasy football championship

Undefeated72

I have been playing fantasy football since the 80's and I have only one one championship. I have made it to the Superbowl twice and lost also.

I make the playoffs about 90 percent of the time but I seem to always win allot of games early and then the second half of the season I am below 500 and make the playoffs because I am usualy like 5-1 early but struggle late in the season.

There are other guys who are the exact opposite and they struggle early and win late WHEN IT COUNTS!

For those of you who win late what are you doing that I'm not?

I can win in other leagues but the league I run I have really good players. One who won ESPN's tournament with over 10,000 entries. We also have a very high entry fee and I'm tired of losing.

Any help or ideas is appreciated.

Wish I could say its that easy. The guys I draft are usually in the top 15. I think my main problem is I am great at drafting players especially in the late rounds. We do an auction so its not really rounds but you know what I mean.

I struggle with knowing the right matchups but only late in the season and I cant figure out why. Its been bothering me for years.

Are you looking at the week 12-16 schedules for players? I put a heavy emphasis on ease of schedule and while it's not entirely accurate in the pre-season, it at least gets you in the ballpark. I also try to see which of defenses upgraded or downgraded during the offseason to have a better EOS tool going into the draft. Also, throughout the season, I'm always thinking long-term by picking up FAs who have easy schedules at the end of the year or trading for under-performers who might get an easier stretch at the end. While the draft is important, it's just as important to maintain and improve your team throughout the year, trying to stay ahead of the curve when other owners are only worried about the now.

Making moves during the season

Waiver wire and trades

unloading guys who start hot and fade, picking up guys who start slow

and of course starting the players that score the most points. You remind me of my friend Kyle :wacko:

Making moves during the season

Waiver wire and trades

unloading guys who start hot and fade, picking up guys who start slow

and of course starting the players that score the most points. You remind me of my friend Kyle :wacko:

Yep

yep.

and you gotta be lucky...

& big yep.

Step 1: Don't play in leages with Willy. Willy is USDA's Champion of Champions (4 titles in 12 years). Every league has a Willy. Be the Willy, don't play with your, err a Willy.

Step 2: Looks like you've read Dorey's Rule: Article 1 on how to compete for the first 6 weeks. Stop re-reading the same article. Read parts 2 (mid-season) and part 3 (play-offs).

Step 3: Don't fall in love with your team just because they start 5-1. You can sell off a player or two that has a harder late-season schedule to get guys that have great play-off schedules. By week 6, you can usually see who the bad NFL defenses are.

Step 4: Have strong depth early, trade depth for strong play-off starters.

Step 5: To win championships, sometimes you need to step down in competition. Join free leagues and Yahoo leagues where half the owners quit the league half way through the season. Half the owners improves your odds of getting lucky.

Step 6: Even if you don't win a championship.... lie. Say that you won six figures in earnings. Nobody fact checks crap on the internet. Your self-esteem will soar.

Step 4: Have strong depth early, trade depth for strong play-off starters.

This (one of Dorey's strategies right?) has helped me greatly. Though you don't want to sell off your depth completely, there becomes that point when you've gotten past rough bye weeks and seen who the proven commodites are, when you should turn that depth into improvements to your lineup to help ensure you have the strongest lineup possible for when you make your run.

I'd take it even further to a discussion we had here a while back about having TOO MUCH depth. Since the OP said you struggle with lineup decisions late in the season, this is even more reason not to keep too strong of depth to where you're constantly second-guessing your decisions.

Rather than have 5+ WRs that I have to go back and forth on which 2-3 I want to start, I prefer to trade that for clear-cut starters and guys who are just solid enough to back them up. Why drive yourself crazy when you can likely deal some of that bench-strength for an upgrade?

Finally, I don't know if you are one of these people, but I notice questions like these far too often: "Should I start Andre Johnson or Pierre Garcon, who could have a huge week with Collie and Clark out?" If a guy is an unproven #3-4 on a depth chart, why in the world do people jump to start him over guys who've earned their place atop the depth chart? Just because he has the "opportunity" to start because of injuries to the normal starter? Don't fall into that trap unless you have extremely compelling reasons and some evidence that player Y is set to bust loose over reliable player X.

Here's a few things to consider. Are you one of those guys that starts out the season strong with a good draft and good preseason prep, but when you start getting half way through the season, you've let off the gas on how much time you're putting into FF? Paying attention to what’s actually happening during the season, and not what should be happening based on your preseason prep could be blinding you.

Second, if you've been playing with the same guys for a few years you should be recognizing certain trends in your league. Are there guys that are always at the top or bottom? Are there guys that always make trades/never make trades? Do certain guys always have lots of good WRs but not many good RBs? You could take advantage of these trends to improve your roster midseason and pump up your playoff roster with good matchups.

You said that you are good at picking guys in the late rounds (cheaper auction picks). By the time the midseason gets around you should see which of your late/cheap picks are panning out. Look to trade away your early round guys if your late round guys can pull just as many points. Guys picked early/high price typically have name recognition attached to them even if they're not performing as well. i.e. you drafted Ray Rice and also have a guy like Peyton Hillis on your team. Midseason in 2010, Rice still had the name recognition to trade him a lot higher than his value, even though he's not performing as well.

Also, if you're good at picking one position i.e. WRs or RBs, hold off getting that position until later in the draft since your experience tells you that you are good at picking that position. Look to spend your money on the positions you aren't good at picking and grab a guy that is consistently good from year to year.

Just some things to think about. Hope it helps.

If you are drafting and maintaining a good team during the bulk of the regular season, and having bad luck in the playoffs or superbowl I'm not sure there is a lot you can do about it but pray for better luck. I've had many a mediocre team win a superbowl and many an awesome team eliminated before the superbowl.

If you are drafting and maintaining a good team during the bulk of the regular season, and having bad luck in the playoffs or superbowl I'm not sure there is a lot you can do about it but pray for better luck. I've had many a mediocre team win a superbowl and many an awesome team eliminated before the superbowl.

There's certainly this. I've snuck in as the last seed and caught fire, had amazing teams hit the skids in the end, and had amazing teams that didn't hit the skids and just happened to run into a guy who's average team went bat poopy against me in the play-offs.

However, there are certainly some nuggets in here, namely, to keep an eye out for the play-offs all season long. If you're good to consistently make the play-offs, you should be able to make it to the post-season without putting cashing in all your chips.

That means not drafting a starting line-up (and by that I mean not using your first 5 picks to get you 1 QB, 2 RBs, and 2 WRs), just drafting dudes you think are going to be solid at some point. You've got enough confidence that you'll be able to find a WW replacement for a position you may have neglected in the draft but it was worth it because you grabbed a young RB who turns into a full-time stud by mid-season. Something like that.

I've heard about this strategy about drafting the players that score the most points. :tup:

Actually, I see this problem presented quite a bit. A FF team does well in the beginning of the season and then tails off.

The only way to solve that is to have the ability/luck to grab the proper free agent players during the season that will help your team. Some players perform for a period of time and then all of a sudden don't do so well. One of my teams did that last year.

Another team sucked from the beginning and then tailed off. :wacko:

Edited by MikesVikes