[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your draft grade for your team

BeeR

Colts: A. Happy Costanzo fell to us and they actually took him. 2d rounder is hopefully also good insurance/depth. The DT Nevis I'm not holding my breath about, but was good value for where he was taken (just a little leery of short DTs ever since they took Triplett back when) ...also should provide depth and possibly even a replacement for Moaoaola if he doesn't get it together. The latter picks I admit I'm not familiar with but near as I can tell were reasonable at least, and Polian is at his best in the mid to latter rounds.

I'll get back to you in three years. I'm not going to try to act like I've heard of anybody outside of the first round or two.

I know this is true for me as well, but I cannot help but feel letdown by A.J.

I know this is true for me as well, but I cannot help but feel letdown by A.J.

I'm curious why you feel that way. I know there were no glamour picks on offense, but the needs of the team were on defense and special teams. I thought his picks addressed those areas.

Steelers A: Perhaps the best D lineman in the draft and cretainly the best DE picked near the last of the first round. They added both D and O lineman, two cbs, and one of my sleepers Baron Batch. This draft is a good example of why the Steelers play D, run the ball, and win super bowls.

I'm curious why you feel that way. I know there were no glamour picks on offense, but the needs of the team were on defense and special teams. I thought his picks addressed those areas.

The Mouton & Brown picks mostly. Add to that the no splash factor and all I can muster up for you is a below volume "meh". We'll see...Once again we have to wait out the picks of AJ Smith. I think the ship has sailed on without him. Larry English has helped trim the sails.

Edited by boltnlava

Based on managing value and the understanding that "C" means you neither gained or lost ground to the competition as a whole: C- for the Niners.

The first 6 picks went chalk so they missed out on the truly elite talent and were stuck picking the first among a batch of guys, none of whom were really rated any higher than the next. Considering the action for QBs, I think they could have traded back, gotten some picks, and ultimately paid less $$ for a player of the same caliber they got at 7. On the other hand, assuming they truly liked Kaepernick, I'm glad they went that way as opposed to taking Gabbart.

CB in the 3rd seems both big and fast, which is nice, but was regarded as a reach by most. RB out of OSU in the 4th and OLman out of App St later on garnered some praised from the talking heads, so I'll have to take their word for it.

Falcons - :wacko:

Julio better be one bad ass mother fu(ker when he gets on the field.

Good grab with taking Jacquizz Rodgers in the fif. This guy should be solid and will offer a good option to spell Turner and hopefully replace him in a few years.

It's always exciting to get a UGA alum on your NFL team, I'm not sure Akeem Dent was the right guy, but we'll see. He's a little bit slow but has decent size and plays smart. The LB corp does need a solid ILB.

I'd much rather the Falcons have sat at 27 taken a solid DE and kept the rest of their draft in tact. Take a receiver in the 2nd round, Cleveland got a solid one in Greg Little out of UNC in our spot. This is a guy I think will make an impact in the NFL ( 6'3", 230 and runs in the mid 4.4... Good hands and can run routes pretty well. What's not to like?) They also could have kept their 4th rounder and taken a CB to try and groom for a couple of years, further addressed the LB, DB or DL/DE issues.

I'm thinking they'll look back in a few years and give this one a C/C- especially considering what they gave up next year.

Browns A :wacko:

I liked them trading down and getting extra picks. They addressed their needs in the D line and WR. I also liked their pick up of the FB (I can't remember his name) to replace Vickers who is reportedly not coming back. I like where the team is heading.

I'm thinking they'll look back in a few years and give this one a C/C- especially considering what they gave up next year.

That last part is why IMO it's a borderline D. Jones is a real nice addition but giving up an extra #1 pick for a WR (not to mention everything else) was stupid. Course if he helps them get to the big dance it'll look brilliant but on paper at least IMO they will regret this.

That last part is why IMO it's a borderline D. Jones is a real nice addition but giving up an extra #1 pick for a WR (not to mention everything else) was stupid. Course if he helps them get to the big dance it'll look brilliant but on paper at least IMO they will regret this.

I'd have to agree. I initially typed C-/D+ but my homerism and trust in Dimitrof prevailed and I rounded it up one notch.

They have some real issue to address in FA with regard to their secondary and DL. Hell, their OL could use some work as well.

A

Round 1, Pick 24 (24) Cameron Jordan DE

Round 1, Pick 28 (28) Mark Ingram RB

Round 3, Pick 8 (72) Martez Wilson OLB

Round 3, Pick 24 (88) Johnny Patrick DB

Round 7, Pick 23 (226) Greg Romeus DL

Round 7, Pick 40 (243) Nate Bussey LB

Saints filled a very big need with Cameron Jordon, we've been sorely lacking on the defensive line and getting a player who can play both outside & inside, with Jordan's talent, will be big for us. I was also very happy with the move to get Mark Ingram. The Saints feel as if they are only a couple of pieces away from getting back to the Superbowl & I agree. The stability and consistency of the running game is a big part of that IMO. This team has really missed a 'closer' like Deuce McAllister a lot more than they would care to admit & Ingram absolutely fills that need. I was a little surprised that Martez Wilson fell all the way to our 3rd & wondered if we would get him at all. I've read that it may be due to his recognition skills, but given he'll likely be playing SLB for us and will have Vilma lining up next to him he should be able to rely on his play caller more and pin his ears back. In our attacking defense, somebody with his speed could be a monster. Johnny Patrick I'm not so sure about. I do think we could use the depth at CB, but I'm thinking this pick could be more a special teams move than anything. I'm betting the Saints would like to see what he can do in the return game. Greg Romeus in the 7th is an absolute steal IMO. Assuming he gets healthy for the season, he's a 1st round talent & as a rotational pass rusher he could be just what the Saints have been looking for all along. Will Smith on the blind side, Romeus opposite, Jordan sliding inside next to Big Sed, that sounds like a winning combination to me. Bussey, I honestly have no idea about. I'm guessing he is also working to be on special teams, but the Saints certainly have the need for another OLB. I just don't see him beating anyone else out for a position there.

On my wife, the Packers:

Love the draft. They went BPA the 1st two rounds and they responded to the Lions stockpiling of a studly D-line. I see Sherrod and Bulaga being bookends to protect Rodgers for the better part of the next decade - which in turn allows GB to focus on the rest of the team in future drafts. A lot of comfort in that Sherrod pick. Cobb had no business being on the board at the end of the 2nd round, and to pair him with Rodgers' ability to throw guys open and give them a spot to put up solid YAC makes Cobb a sure 1st round FF pick in dynasty leagues. Then ol' TT went to the whip and drafted guys specifically skilled to fit into what GB does. Green will be the ideal complimentary RB to either Grant or Starks, most probably Starks after this season - if they can get him to tighten up his ball carrying. House gives them immediate depth in hard corner CBs and should turn into a great nickel/spot starter in the GB secondary when Woodson is ready to retire. Williams is a poor man's Finley and help to give the O substantial flexibility to create nightmare matchup issues no matter what the opponent brings in on D.

Seriously, how does an opponent match up in the red zone when GB brings in a package of Jennings/another WR/Finley/Williams/Green? They can go power with Williams in the backfield, go double TE, go unbalanced TE, go double slot, or go trips all with the same personnel package, and then add Rodgers' ability to run. That's just unfair. The SB champs actually got quite a bit better with the injured starters coming back and then this draft class on top of it.

A- - Not sexy, but man-oh-man did this just become a tough team to beat.

On my mistress, the Broncos:

Contrary to most other local sports opinions - most notably the "knowledgeable" talking heads, I thought the Broncos were brilliant in their drafting. Everyone is pissed that they didn't pick up any DTs. Just can't figure it out. I think they saw this team as a multiple-year project and grabbed positions that require a bit more learning curve - LBs, OT, Ss, and TEs. Let those guys get their feet wet this year and learn the game. Both Miller and Irving figure to end up as starting LBs, Moore & Carter will be the starting FS/SS combo in 2 years, Franklin with Clady gives them bookend OTs with Franklin protecting Tebow's blindside, and one or both of Thomas and Green have great 2 year upside at TE, where there is currently no one credible. They can get their DTs in FA this year, with all the high draft picks there will be less of a market both in FA this year and in the draft next year, and any DTs coming in for FA this year know they'll be competing for starting jobs not just for next year but for the next 4/5 years. They can also get their starting RB and QB depth next year.

I thought the Broncos were incredibly pateint and far-sighted, and can pick up their DTs and a RB next year when they can step right in a start on what ought to be a much better team than last years'. Just eat this year as a learning year and try to gain incremental improvement/experience every week at QB, OT, TE, LB, and S. Very, very well done.

A - great game plan to get this franchise back on its feet, even though others can't seem to see it.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Browns A :wacko:

I liked them trading down and getting extra picks. They addressed their needs in the D line and WR. I also liked their pick up of the FB (I can't remember his name) to replace Vickers who is reportedly not coming back. I like where the team is heading.

I almost loved it. They gave up too much to move back to 21, especially since they didn't have to. I do like the names and the numbers though - netting three picks including a 1st next year is a big haul, and something they badly needed. They have a severe talent gap from their division opponents and you can't solve that with one pick no matter how good he is - they needed more quality bodies and got them. Now when they draft early again next season they will have some better support to put around Trent Richardson.

I almost loved it. They gave up too much to move back to 21, especially since they didn't have to. I do like the names and the numbers though - netting three picks including a 1st next year is a big haul, and something they badly needed. They have a severe talent gap from their division opponents and you can't solve that with one pick no matter how good he is - they needed more quality bodies and got them. Now when they draft early again next season they will have some better support to put around Trent Richardson.

The Browns actually netted 4 picks. They got the 1st 2nd and 4th rd this year and the 1st and 4th rd next year for their #6 overall pick. The Browns have made the right calls so far, I just hope it continues into the season

The Browns actually netted 4 picks. They got the 1st 2nd and 4th rd this year and the 1st and 4th rd next year for their #6 overall pick. The Browns have made the right calls so far, I just hope it continues into the season

I think by "netted 3 picks" he took into account whatever the Browns gave up to move back to 21.

Contrary to most other local sports opinions - most notably the "knowledgeable" talking heads, I thought the Broncos were brilliant in their drafting. Everyone is pissed that they didn't pick up any DTs. Just can't figure it out. I think they saw this team as a multiple-year project and grabbed positions that require a bit more learning curve - LBs, OT, Ss, and TEs. Let those guys get their feet wet this year and learn the game. Both Miller and Irving figure to end up as starting LBs, Moore & Carter will be the starting FS/SS combo in 2 years, Franklin with Clady gives them bookend OTs with Franklin protecting Tebow's blindside, and one or both of Thomas and Green have great 2 year upside at TE, where there is currently no one credible. They can get their DTs in FA this year, with all the high draft picks there will be less of a market both in FA this year and in the draft next year, and any DTs coming in for FA this year know they'll be competing for starting jobs not just for next year but for the next 4/5 years. They can also get their starting RB and QB depth next year.

I thought the Broncos were incredibly pateint and far-sighted, and can pick up their DTs and a RB next year when they can step right in a start on what ought to be a much better team than last years'. Just eat this year as a learning year and try to gain incremental improvement/experience every week at QB, OT, TE, LB, and S. Very, very well done.

A - great game plan to get this franchise back on its feet, even though others can't seem to see it.

So do you think Moreno is nothing more than a CoP back? Or do you think he needs another "starter" to put in the backfield with him? Or do you just think Moreno is not that good and can be let go when his contract is up? Just curious

So do you think Moreno is nothing more than a CoP back? Or do you think he needs another "starter" to put in the backfield with him? Or do you just think Moreno is not that good and can be let go when his contract is up? Just curious

Watch it.... this is very close to blasphemy!!

In all seriousness, he's probably a number 2/CoP back. You have to remember he always had someone getting about 1/3 of the carries per game in college.

On my wife, the Packers:

Love the draft. They went BPA the 1st two rounds and they responded to the Lions stockpiling of a studly D-line. I see Sherrod and Bulaga being bookends to protect Rodgers for the better part of the next decade - which in turn allows GB to focus on the rest of the team in future drafts. A lot of comfort in that Sherrod pick. Cobb had no business being on the board at the end of the 2nd round, and to pair him with Rodgers' ability to throw guys open and give them a spot to put up solid YAC makes Cobb a sure 1st round FF pick in dynasty leagues. Then ol' TT went to the whip and drafted guys specifically skilled to fit into what GB does. Green will be the ideal complimentary RB to either Grant or Starks, most probably Starks after this season - if they can get him to tighten up his ball carrying. House gives them immediate depth in hard corner CBs and should turn into a great nickel/spot starter in the GB secondary when Woodson is ready to retire. Williams is a poor man's Finley and help to give the O substantial flexibility to create nightmare matchup issues no matter what the opponent brings in on D.

Seriously, how does an opponent match up in the red zone when GB brings in a package of Jennings/another WR/Finley/Williams/Green? They can go power with Williams in the backfield, go double TE, go unbalanced TE, go double slot, or go trips all with the same personnel package, and then add Rodgers' ability to run. That's just unfair. The SB champs actually got quite a bit better with the injured starters coming back and then this draft class on top of it.

A- - Not sexy, but man-oh-man did this just become a tough team to beat.

A fan of two teams is not a TRUE fan of any. :wacko:

Edited by Menudo

He is certainly not a bell cow. I don't like his running style - he's not physical by any means, and he has a strong proclivity to getting nicked up all the time.

Personally I have a tough time stomaching those guys. There are a lot of hungry young guys looking for a shot - I'd rather hang my hat on them. Hell, I'd rather see Lance Ball take over Moreno's carries. He isn't the most talented guy in the world but he runs with a decided mean streak and will get good lean that gets you that extra yard or two.

But I'm not the one making the decisions at Dove Valley. I can't quite figure out what they're thinking on this guy - but if anyone knows the value of having a dependable RB in the backfield is, it would be Elway.

Falcons - :wacko:

Julio better be one bad ass mother fu(ker when he gets on the field.

Good grab with taking Jacquizz Rodgers in the fif. This guy should be solid and will offer a good option to spell Turner and hopefully replace him in a few years.

It's always exciting to get a UGA alum on your NFL team, I'm not sure Akeem Dent was the right guy, but we'll see. He's a little bit slow but has decent size and plays smart. The LB corp does need a solid ILB.

I'd much rather the Falcons have sat at 27 taken a solid DE and kept the rest of their draft in tact. Take a receiver in the 2nd round, Cleveland got a solid one in Greg Little out of UNC in our spot. This is a guy I think will make an impact in the NFL ( 6'3", 230 and runs in the mid 4.4... Good hands and can run routes pretty well. What's not to like?) They also could have kept their 4th rounder and taken a CB to try and groom for a couple of years, further addressed the LB, DB or DL/DE issues.

I agree with everything until the "I'd much rather part". You gotta remember that the Falcons are a young team, so at this stage a bunch more developmental guys (some who you might end up having to cut) might not make the most sense.

You really can't evaluate this Falcons draft until they get through FA, but that's actually a good reason why the do-it-all kicker they got was a good pick. He can free up a roster-spot, and Blank has already indicated that's he's not going to be scared to open up his checkbook and make a splash in free-agency.

Dent's not my favorite bulldawg either, but a claer upgrade over Nicholas who could never get it done, and could probably start immediately at LB.

Grade: B - Depending on what they do in free-agency, I'll be fair and give them a B for a real steal with Quizz in the 5th, but downgrade them if they do nothing to address CB and DE.

Edited by delusions of granduer