[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Navy Seals / Green Berets

whomper

I have always respected those in the military but have never been a part of it. My dad and both Grandfathers were all in the Army. Navy Seals are obviosuly getting a ton of press lately with the killing of Osama. What kind of training and timing is involved in becoming a seal or Green beret etc ? Does every branch of the Military have an elite group like this ? I was just curious. Based on what we have heard on the raid of OBL it seems these guys were so bad ass. Clean, in and out, no casualties and this was supposed to be the most heavily guarded man in the world. Im obviously not asking for myself as I got winded playing wiffle ball with my 7 year old yesterday but just curious as to the backround of these groups and how people become one. I know I can google it but we have some military guys here so I figured I would throw it out there

Edited by whomper

I read yesterday that the Underwater Demolition phase of SEAL training requires that the candidates have only four hours sleep in a week during the final exercise, which involves sea swimming, crawling through mud, etc, etc. 80% don't make it. And the remainder get further winnowed down as it goes on so that less than 10% of the people who started finish the program.

Navy and Marines have the SEAL Teams, Air Force has the STS and the Army has the Rangers and the even more elite Delta. I have a good friend who has been in the teams for over 20 years. He was a very good athlete in highschool, which helps not only with the physical requirements but more importantly with the mental strength needed. Elite military service is not conducive to stable family lives. The divorce rate is much higher than the overall population. These guys can be here one day and literally halfway around the world the next with very little notice.

The double tap that OBL got is exactly what they are trained to do.

I read yesterday that the Underwater Demolition phase of SEAL training requires that the candidates have only four hours sleep in a week during the final exercise, which involves sea swimming, crawling through mud, etc, etc. 80% don't make it. And the remainder get further winnowed down as it goes on so that less than 10% of the people who started finish the program.

You should go watch the movie G I Jane.

Even bald, Demi Moore is hot as hell . .

Like others said...it's not so much the physical condition as it is the mental. Candidates have to perform a certain number of pushups, run a certain distance, swim, etc. All timed. But the sleep deprivation and exposure to frigid waters until hypothermia sets in is what separates the men from the boys. These guys are freakin' robots.

from what I saw on the military channel, they don't cut you, u just cut yourself if u cant hack it...there is also a group that trains in san antonio, some kind of special ops guys that have medical training and are dropped from helicopters in hostile territory to rescue injured soldiers, think navy seal medic. Very cool!!

Like others said...it's not so much the physical condition as it is the mental. Candidates have to perform a certain number of pushups, run a certain distance, swim, etc. All timed. But the sleep deprivation and exposure to frigid waters until hypothermia sets in is what separates the men from the boys. These guys are freakin' robots.

Let's not get crazy, while the mental aspect is important, so is the physical condition.

I had a few buddies that applied to go to SEAL training from my ship and they were turned down. Anyone could apply, but you went through an interview process, further background check, psych evals, etc. just to get in. Even the Marines didn't F with the SEALs...

I knew of an old man who survived the Bataan Death march, he told of horrific things like being happy to see a stray dog so they could eat it and his best buddy was decapitated right before his eyes. God bless the USA and our soldiers for all they endure!

I knew of an old man who survived the Bataan Death march, he told of horrific things like being happy to see a stray dog so they could eat it and his best buddy was decapitated right before his eyes. God bless the USA and our soldiers for all they endure!

I once saw Nukes Roster in AOTAOP. It haunts me until this very day

Navy and Marines have the SEAL Teams, Air Force has the STS and the Army has the Rangers and the even more elite Delta. I have a good friend who has been in the teams for over 20 years. He was a very good athlete in highschool, which helps not only with the physical requirements but more importantly with the mental strength needed. Elite military service is not conducive to stable family lives. The divorce rate is much higher than the overall population. These guys can be here one day and literally halfway around the world the next with very little notice.

The double tap that OBL got is exactly what they are trained to do.

I thought Marines also had Force Recon as a special unit.

Buddy of mine is special forces, did 3 tours in Iraq and is prepping up for an Afghanistan deployment shortly. The stories he shares shows to me what an incredibly different mindset it takes to be able to handle that stuff.

FWIW, I don't think the Marines are an elite unit like the SEALS/Delta Force.

To the best of my knowledge, they have higher admission standards and the training is a little tougher but to compare a regular Marine to a SEAL is apples to oranges.

I'd tell you more but then I'd have to kill you. :wacko:

And yes, I have been in a special ops unit, but by no means a special ops guy. I'd agree that the mental/emotional part does more winnowing than the physical part, but both are of course extremely demanding. I can tell you that almost all that I have met and got to know were very cool, very together or "normal" (at least on the surface) ie not all freaked out or psycho-looking/acting and in fact had no interest in trying to act bad ass or do that "tough guy" BS. I will also say that if one walked up and keyed my car for no reason at all I'd thank them for it and move on because I wouldn't wanna piss them off even a little.

FWIW, I don't think the Marines are an elite unit like the SEALS/Delta Force.

They're not. They're a branch of the armed forces. They had some special ops guys (just called "Recon" I think) but I think after some re-orgs that went away or was meshed with SEALs somehow. Not sure, frankly.

They're still bad ass though. :wacko:

Bad Asses one and all. Most all SF's have a 93% dropout rate. Of that 93% most all are top shelf before they take on the training. Of those, maybe 15-20% come back for more. The others very regretfully, yet happily ring that bell. Basically best of the best for sure.

Meateaters, to me are the best, but that is subjective for sure. They literally get drown in water training first week(which I actually passed). Mentally get totally F'd with and the physical part is mind numbing. Know a few and they will take most everything about any and all missions to their graves. Absolutely required.

ETA- You volunteer for this stuff, which makes you half crazed in the first place.

Edited by Hugh B Tool

I'd tell you more but then I'd have to kill you. :tup:

And yes, I have been in a special ops unit, but by no means a special ops guy. I'd agree that the mental/emotional part does more winnowing than the physical part, but both are of course extremely demanding. I can tell you that almost all that I have met and got to know were very cool, very together or "normal" (at least on the surface) ie not all freaked out or psycho-looking/acting and in fact had no interest in trying to act bad ass or do that "tough guy" BS. I will also say that if one walked up and keyed my car for no reason at all I'd thank them for it and move on because I wouldn't wanna piss them off even a little.

I didn't know special ops units had fluffers. :wacko:

Keep in mind that I say this is a raging hetero....

Viggo is hotter. :wacko:

I can tell you that almost all that I have met and got to know were very cool, very together or "normal" (at least on the surface) ie not all freaked out or psycho-looking/acting and in fact had no interest in trying to act bad ass or do that "tough guy" BS.

It probably goes back to the point of if you're really a bad mofo and you know it, you don't have to prove anything to anyone.

Kinda along the lines of martial arts black-belts - generally the nicest, most laid-back people you could ever meet.

They're not. They're a branch of the armed forces. They had some special ops guys (just called "Recon" I think) but I think after some re-orgs that went away or was meshed with SEALs somehow. Not sure, frankly.

They're still bad ass though. :wacko:

G'dam right we are. Marines still have Force Recon, though.

I didn't know special ops units had fluffers. :wacko:

I don't know what a fluffer is but I don't like the sounds of it! Yknow I can call in a favor - don't be surprised to see a SEAL to go all Charlie Sheen on your ass anytime soon.

It probably goes back to the point of if you're really a bad mofo and you know it, you don't have to prove anything to anyone.

Kinda along the lines of martial arts black-belts - generally the nicest, most laid-back people you could ever meet.

Yep exactly. Hell they're probably more afraid of themselves (what they could do if pushed) than anyone else.

+1

It was a better movie than it got credit for.