[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Student peacefully requesting to burn the US flag

SuperBalla

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes his friend stole the LSU flag that flies on campus. He cut it down and burned it. He ran from the cops to New Orleans where he turned himself in. He was charged with arson and theft. The guy today was friend's with the thief arson and wanted to protest his friend's treatment. If they aren't dead, then they haven't been treated harsh enough IMO.

+1

I support the death penalty for speeding as well.

How much more impressive would it have been if absolutely no showed up for his protest?

This

Much like a baby in the terrible two's; he apparently got the attention he was craving.

And this

People get suckered by these publicity hounds all the time

This

And this

People get suckered by these publicity hounds all the time

When the KKK marched on the Austin Capitol in the early 90s, about 8000 people showed up to protest. 3000 turned their backs and walked away right as the KKK began their (shouted down by the other 5000) speech. I always kinda liked that: they went to another spot for their counter protest.

Distasteful, sure. But it's what sets us apart.

True. I don't think there's another country on the planet with less taste than the USA.

PS does that video ever get to a watchable point? I gave up about 20-30 secs in.

I understand those here that want to defend Ben Haas. Call those that oppose Zealots. Sure, "it is what makes America great!" If you think it is important that we Americans have the freedom to burn the US flag in protest, so be it. Respect me, for not getting it though. Not because of the "1st ammendment" I want to ask you though...just to understand where I come from.

Have you ever seen your fallen brethren return home, with that flag on their casket? Have you seen that same man's wife fall to her knees as they hand her that flag? Their 2 year old just blinking in confusion puckering their bottom lip? You should feel the same as I do if you ever have. Have you ever participated in a 21 gun salute? The life that has given itself and futures on hold, ALL OF which, are sewn in that flag...you wouldn't or shouldn't :wacko: . But, I respect your right to do it, I once swore to protect it.

I always thought flags were made of cotton or polyester, not little boy tears and patriotism. I empathize with the emotion of surviving family and feel the pride and respect for our soldiers, but symbols only have the power you give them. A crowd of angry shouting protesters protesting the flag burner is unimpressive to me. What a waste of time and energy.

Many thoughts run through my mind both before and after watching the video.

What makes this country great is freedom. If someone wants to burn a flag in protest, so be it. I don't agree with it and don't understand why it would be that important for someone to do that, but this is a free country thanks to those that fought and died for that right to be free. The flag is a representation of this country. This country, however, is more than just a flag and the people that defend it are also more than just a flag. That's what I believe.

Now having said that, it is someone's right to burn an American Flag, and that's what makes this country great. However, it is also our right to stand up and support what we believe our flag stands for. I was impressed that the youth of this country seem to feel so strongly about the representation of the flag that hundreds showed up to protest for it.

It warms my heart that todays youth feel as strongly for the flag as I did when I was that age some 20 something years ago. Not sure why, it just did.

Frack him and his right to burn the flag. I hope somebody exercises their right to bust his head open because he's a douschbag

IHave you ever seen your fallen brethren return home, with that flag on their casket? Have you seen that same man's wife fall to her knees as they hand her that flag? Their 2 year old just blinking in confusion puckering their bottom lip? You should feel the same as I do if you ever have. Have you ever participated in a 21 gun salute?
I'd say the answer is no all around for about oh about 99%ish of the people here, as I suspect you already knew.

But, I respect your right to do it, I once swore to protect it.
I can't imagine why. I don't, and I took the same oath. Such immature losers merit zero respect. Respect is earned. So is contempt.

I always thought flags were made of cotton or polyester, not little boy tears and patriotism.

A headstone is just made of stone. Does that make it OK for someone to go whiz on a loved one's headstone in the name of "freedom of expression?" Please..

This is what makes our country great. And whether you like what is happening or not, these people (other than the idiots who cut down the flag) are doing things in the proper way.

I hope that zealots don't f*ck this up.

Nor did anyone call Balla a zealot as far as I remember. Balla does a heckuva job starting posts.

Bushwacked...I made it easier for you to find.

I always thought flags were made of cotton or polyester

:tup::wacko:

I disagree...it is made out of blood, sweat, tears, and brilliant hard work. It is more than tangible material, to me atleast.

Bushwacked...I made it easier for you to find.

If you were one of the people who chased the guy or threatened him with violence, then you definitely are a zealot or maybe even an assh*le. (For hoping the guy was killed, probably the latter).

In any event, you need to grow up.

I understand those here that want to defend Ben Haas. Call those that oppose Zealots. Sure, "it is what makes America great!" If you think it is important that we Americans have the freedom to burn the US flag in protest, so be it. Respect me, for not getting it though. Not because of the "1st ammendment" I want to ask you though...just to understand where I come from.

Have you ever seen your fallen brethren return home, with that flag on their casket? Have you seen that same man's wife fall to her knees as they hand her that flag? Their 2 year old just blinking in confusion puckering their bottom lip? You should feel the same as I do if you ever have. Have you ever participated in a 21 gun salute? The life that has given itself and futures on hold, ALL OF which, are sewn in that flag...you wouldn't or shouldn't :wacko: . But, I respect your right to do it, I once swore to protect it.

Lighten up Francis.

As the grandson of two WWII veterans, the son of a Vietnam Vet and the big brother of an Iraqi Freedom vet, I support people's right to burn the flag in protest. I even support the right of pigs like the Swift Boat Traitors to lie about another man's service record.

+1

I support the death penalty for speeding as well.

I sense some sarcasm?

:lol::wacko:

I disagree...it is made out of blood, sweat, tears, and brilliant hard work. It is more than tangible material, to me atleast.

even the flags on lighters?

As the grandson of two WWII veterans, the son of a Vietnam Vet and the big brother of an Iraqi Freedom vet, I support people's right to burn the flag in protest. I even support the right of pigs like the Swift Boat Traitors to lie about another man's service record.

:tup:

I'll try to be there when you do, and protest you desecrating such a powerful symbol, in disgust. Piss on the President for all I care, just not the flag.

Look, I understand we have freedom. We are fortunate, we have earned it. However, we should not grant permits to burn the US flag. That is what is so silly to me. If people think they need to burn the flag because they have a message that is so worth while, then people would be listening to them and NOT meeting (in this case) a low-life by the thousands. The guy was burning the US flag to protest the arrest of a guy that was arrested for burning the school's US flag. Ultimately in support of Al queda.