[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Student peacefully requesting to burn the US flag

SuperBalla

If you were one of the people who chased the guy or threatened him with violence, then you definitely are a zealot or maybe even an assh*le. (For hoping the guy was killed, probably the latter).

In any event, you need to grow up.

Proally so bruh, a big a$$hole.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U were certainly a part of it, typikal. I'm glad you agree with US Flag burning. :wacko:

Yeah, what's typikal is someone turning a stance on freedom of speech (1st Amendment in case you forgot) and turn the words into what you just did.

U were certainly a part of it, typikal. I'm glad you agree with US Flag burning. :wacko:

There are many things I disagree with that I think people should have the choice to do. You don't come off very smart saying stuff like this.

This wasn't a wreck until you took it upon yourself to get outraged at everyone who wasn't as outraged as yourself. IMO, life is too short to get pissed off at idiots, you can wast a lot of time an energy doing that.

Like Furd said, grow up.

Edited by bushwacked

The 1st Amendment does not guarantee that there will be no consequences for exercising your right to freedom of speech. Any radio or tv personality that decided to go off on a rant about N-Words (we can't even type the word here without getting banned) would almost certainly be fired immediately. They are more than free to express themselves. And we are free to react... sometimes passionately. So what's the problem here?

I find it ironic that those that keep pounding the "freedom of speech" angle are those that are ripping on Balla for simply expressing his stance on the subject. In fact, I'd call it beyond ironic; I'd call it pure hypocrisy.

I find it ironic that those that keep pounding the "freedom of speech" angle are those that are ripping on Balla for simply expressing his stance on the subject. In fact, I'd call it beyond ironic; I'd call it pure hypocrisy.

this

One of the results of having this freedom is to let dumb people to dumb things and then state how dumb they are (and I'm talking more about the flag burner).

If Balla thinks the dude should die for burning the flag, then it doesn't make Furd a hypocrite for doing a rolling eyeball gramelin on Balla for that. If Balla can't differentiate between disagreeing with something and thinking it should be outlawed, that doesn't make me or Pope a hypocrite for pointing that out.

If one of us actually stated Balla should be kicked off the huddle forums then your analogy would be more succinct.

Edited by bushwacked

+3

I think the guy that burned the flag as a statement is a dope, and I think those that, in the spirit of what our flag stands for, say he should be flogged and punished for it are also missing the point.

Again, the definition of lose-lose. As someone mentioned earlier, the biggest statement that could have been made to this flag-burning was no one showing up to protest. He'd have looked the only fool...instead, everyone does.

:wacko:

Balla (and others) has advocated violence against a "peaceful" (his word) protester and Balla has even wished for his death.

He deserves to be ripped on in that respect.

It would be hypocritical only if I (or anyone else) supported a flag burner's statement that anyone who opposes flag burning should die, or at least get his/her ass beat.

As far as I'm concerned, Balla is "free" to express how he feels about the topic. (Which has nothing to do with the First Amendment, by the way.) But when he adopts a position that others think is unreasonable or outlandish or inexplicable, he should expect criticsim. (See Mendenhall, R.)

And as adults, we should be able to heatedly criticize expression, and accept heated criticism of ours, without resorting to violence, don't you think?

Balla (and others) has advocated violence against a "peaceful" (his word) protester and Balla has even wished for his death.

He deserves to be ripped on in that respect.

It would be hypocritical only if I (or anyone else) supported a flag burner's statement that anyone who opposes flag burning should die, or at least get his/her ass beat.

As far as I'm concerned, Balla is "free" to express how he feels about the topic. (Which has nothing to do with the First Amendment, by the way.) But when he adopts a position that others think is unreasonable or outlandish or inexplicable, he should expect criticsim. (See Mendenhall, R.)

And as adults, we should be able to heatedly criticize expression, and accept heated criticism of ours, without resorting to violence, don't you think?

Alright, let me pose the question: Balla, do you really think this dumasz should DIE for his actions? Get his asz beat?

I think I know the answer.

Shouldn't burning the flag fall under the definition of "hate speech"?

Some of the law types would have a better understanding of this, but it's my understanding that hate speech is specifically protected under the 1st amendment unless it meets some rather stringent criteria and most of the hate speech cases are overturned in court.

Alright, let me pose the question: Balla, do you really think this dumasz should DIE for his actions? Get his asz beat?

He really said it and based on the tone of his posts I have no reason to assume he was being sarcastic.

Sarcastic. I was suprised he didn't get his ar$$ beat. I would have been fine with that if he did. I certainly think that in this case, they should be investigated for possible terrorist ties. Again, I don't know what should be a suitable, legal punishment. Fines, small time? Maybe send them to wash clothes, clean latrines, dishes etc for our troops in Iraq?

I did say it, I said if they weren't dead they weren't treated harsh enough. Reality - in this case. Dude burning the flag in protest to the killing of Bin Laden....ehhh I don't know, deportation, guantanamo, jail time?

Not sure.

Shouldn't burning the flag fall under the definition of "hate speech"?

"Hate speech", in short, is certain speech directed against a person or group of persons based on a characteristic of that person, such as race or religion.

Who is burning the flag directed against? Who really knows, or cares? But in any event, its not hate speech..

And you should know that the First Amendment precludes the regulation of so-called hate speech, in and of itself.