[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you keep an emergency stash?

Kid Cid

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a stash of cash for emergencies?

• Yes
    • No
    • Puddy

Any time I run across an L note or a C note, I stick it someplace safe, this way I always have an emergency fund available. I always think of it as out of the income/bill stream so it isn't part of money I use to pay bills with. It has come in handy a couple of times and I was just wondering if anyone else does something like this.

I keep an ING orange account with about 3 months worth of expenses as a real rainy day fund. Along with that I usually have some kind of a cash stash to cover a repair bill or cash sale without running to the bank.

I usually have a couple hundred dollars in cash at any given time.

However, given that I'm getting something like .0000000000001% interest in my "emergency" money market account, it may make some sense to put a couple g in a coffee can and bury it in the backyard.

In addition to some larger bills kept in my safe at home, I started this a few years ago: I won't carry $1 bills. Any in my pocket when I make it home at the end of the day go into a drawer. When I hit $50, they get rubberbanded and stashed away. If you think about it, 40 years ago, people were dropping all their change into a drawer or jar. With inflation, I'm not doing much different and with the exception of times when I need a couple dollars to tip someone, I don't notice. But it definitely adds up. Each time I get up to a few hundred $s, I'll take them to the bank, chip up, and put the larger bills into the safe.

A number of people I've shared this with now do the same thing. The exception is my sister. She refuses to give up her "coffee" money.

I keep $1000 in 20 dollar bills at the house - $500 in the safe and $500 in the bug out bag

I also have gold and silver in the safe as well but nothing major.

When the zombies attack, paper money will be worthless so the gold and silver can be used for trading

I keep $1000 in 20 dollar bills at the house - $500 in the safe and $500 in the bug out bag

I also have gold and silver in the safe as well but nothing major.

When the zombies attack, paper money will be worthless so the gold and silver can be used for trading

remember to buy a flare gun and explosives for the zombies....they like noise and light so the flare gun will distract them....

and if all else fails, your silver stash will probably kill a zombie or cure it....use gold for trading...

shotgun shells and hatchets will have way more value. unless of course you have gold and silver shells and hatchets :wacko:

shotgun shells and hatchets will have way more value. unless of course you have gold and silver shells and hatchets :wacko:

oooh, we have a thinker over here - good stuff...again, use the silver for bullets and keep the gold for trading because zombies have a tenancy to decrease property value....

and if all else fails, you can loot vacant houses for food since people that are zombies obviously did not get a heads up so the food is still stored in their house....

and it all depends on if they are the fast moving zombies or if they are the slow ones....I can see if rabies spread quickly among the people, this would cause the fast moving zombies, but if they die and come back alive, it might hinder whatever pep they had in their step....

it will happen in this order

1) zombie apocalypse

2) collapse of society

3) aliens come to save the remaining population...or kill us...I'm not sure..

I usually have a couple hundred dollars in cash at any given time.

However, given that I'm getting something like .0000000000001% interest in my "emergency" money market account, it may make some sense to put a couple g in a coffee can and bury it in the backyard.

On a serious note, look at using the 5-year CD from Penfed credit union. They only have a 60-day interest penalty on them, are paying about 2.4% IIRC, so you only need to be in the account about 6-8 months (I forget the actual numbers right now) to be making more than most money market accounts and at about a year, you are making about 2% after the penalty if you were to pull it out for an emergency.

As to the orignal question, yes, I keep some on hand just in case and some at home.

Funny thing about preparing for the zombie apocalypse, Me, a theoretical physicist some different IT engineers and my biology professor sat down one semester at school a couple of years ago because we all had been talking about 28 days later and zombie movies in general. For poops and giggles we came up with what we would need to get out of DC and up into the mountains.

4-Wheel ATVs each with 2 backup gas cans per 2 people

2nd person sits behind the driver and is charged with cleaning the path

Driver - Police riot gear, 2x 45s and a backpack loaded with shotgun shells night vision

Person behind the driver - Police riot gear, 16 gauge shotgun (using the backpack loaded with shells on the drivers back for ammo), 2x 45s with 6 clips each, a chain saw, large machete night vision and flaregun

Funny thing about preparing for the zombie apocalypse, Me, a theoretical physicist some different IT engineers and my biology professor sat down one semester at school a couple of years ago because we all had been talking about 28 days later and zombie movies in general. For poops and giggles we came up with what we would need to get out of DC and up into the mountains.

4-Wheel ATVs each with 2 backup gas cans per 2 people

2nd person sits behind the driver and is charged with cleaning the path

Driver - Police riot gear, 2x 45s and a backpack loaded with shotgun shells night vision

Person behind the driver - Police riot gear, 16 gauge shotgun (using the backpack loaded with shells on the drivers back for ammo), 2x 45s with 6 clips each, a chain saw, large machete night vision and flaregun

:wacko:

Are we talking wad of cash under the mattress or emergency liquid account?

I'm talking cash under the mattress. I also have the emergency liquid account, but sometimes cash talks.

so we moved two months ago and my wife has no idea where my Josh Gordon is. Obviously I don't smoke that much any more if it's been two months, but I apparently need an emergency stash.

Narcs ain't suppose to be smoking. I think this is a smoke screen.

I usually have a stash but not always. I used to have a very fat stash hidden in a guitar case. A few 3 team teasers and parlays later..My bookie took possession of said stash