[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Memorial Day memorial

wiegie

In honor of my great-uncle Oliver Weissert who was KIA in Germany in early 1945 not too long after fighting in the Battle of the Bulge.

(I don't want to hijack my own thread, but I am over in Europe right now and yesterday I was visiting a friend of mine in Germany. It came up in conversation that during WWII his grandfather was one of four brothers and was the only one of them who had any special skills (he was a welder). During the war, his grandfather was assigned to work in a Germany factory while the other three brothers were drafted and sent to the Russian front. His grandfather mostly came through the war unscathed, but two of the brothers were KIA and the third was held in Russia as a POW until the 1950s. What struck me was that even though my uncle died 25 years before I was born, I still get a sort of feeling of melancholy when I think of him dying. However, when my friend taiked about his family's experiences, it was completely without emotion -- it's just the way it was and there is no real reason to lament for someone who died fighting for Germany in WWII.)

In any case, God bless all of those who fought and died for our country. :wacko:

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protestor to burn the flag."

:wacko::tup::lol::rofl::rofl:

:tup:

In honor of my great-uncle Oliver Weissert who was KIA in Germany in early 1945 not too long after fighting in the Battle of the Bulge.

(I don't want to hijack my own thread, but I am over in Europe right now and yesterday I was visiting a friend of mine in Germany. It came up in conversation that during WWII his grandfather was one of four brothers and was the only one of them who had any special skills (he was a welder). During the war, his grandfather was assigned to work in a Germany factory while the other three brothers were drafted and sent to the Russian front. His grandfather mostly came through the war unscathed, but two of the brothers were KIA and the third was held in Russia as a POW until the 1950s. What struck me was that even though my uncle died 25 years before I was born, I still get a sort of feeling of melancholy when I think of him dying. However, when my friend taiked about his family's experiences, it was completely without emotion -- it's just the way it was and there is no real reason to lament for someone who died fighting for Germany in WWII.)

In any case, God bless all of those who fought and died for our country. :lol:

I wonder if that would have been the case if Germany had won the war? :wacko: Anyway, God Bless all our veteran's, past and present. :rofl:

To Billy.

A Grammar/HS friend who was killed in Vietnam. :wacko:

To my good buddy Wayne.

A HS friend who died from complications/effects of PTSD. :tup:

Spent the weekend with my mother and step father. He, a 30 year vet. I just kept asking the kind of questions that would inspire stories. And stories I got. Both flattering and not so. We talked about the purpose of war, the responsibilities of war. Everything one of the more illustrative weekends I've spent..

I live about two miles off of the end of the main runway at Buckley Air Force Base. They have been flying all day going fromone memorial to another for fly overs. I am getting quite a show today.

My flag is on display. I had to fix the pole mount, but it is up and flying in a mnoderate breeze on a blue sky Colorado day.

Huddle Vets- Anymore we should add Big John?

Active: Capt Skinman, Thunder Chicken, Swiss Cheezhead, Robash, kryptonite, Seahawk37, drafter

vets: Ursa Majoris (son serving in Iraq), clubfoothead, skylive5, Demon Knight, McNasty, I Like Soup, REZ, TheGrunt, Holy Roller, SuperBalla, Jackshi17, cliaz, Retrograde Assault, The Misfit, Skrappy1, DO Jaded, Voltaire, IrishPride, ghengis_chan, bigrocks, BeeR, CSEStreet, slambo, SuperCharger, Vatican Hitsquad, JoJoTheWebToedBoy, BearcatGreg, Hugh B Tool, nuke'em ttg, Rovers, Brentastic, Turf Smurf, fingfootball, skilly, taznib1, Kid Cid, riffraff, AF Retired

:wacko:

Huddle Vets- Anymore we should add Big John?

Active: Capt Skinman, Thunder Chicken, Swiss Cheezhead, Robash, kryptonite, Seahawk37, drafter

vets: Ursa Majoris (son serving in Iraq), clubfoothead, skylive5, Demon Knight, McNasty, I Like Soup, REZ, TheGrunt, Holy Roller, SuperBalla, Jackshi17, cliaz, Retrograde Assault, The Misfit, Skrappy1, DO Jaded, Voltaire, IrishPride, ghengis_chan, bigrocks, BeeR, CSEStreet, slambo, SuperCharger, Vatican Hitsquad, JoJoTheWebToedBoy, BearcatGreg, Hugh B Tool, nuke'em ttg, Rovers, Brentastic, Turf Smurf, fingfootball, skilly, taznib1, Kid Cid, riffraff, AF Retired

:tup:

Good stuff.Balla! :wacko:

John...update when you have time.

We have to keep this list active & known.

God Bless all service men/women...and thank you for a debt that can NEVER be repaid! :lol:

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protestor to burn the flag."

:wacko::tup:

Edited by BeeR

My wife's grandfather, who passed almost a year ago (time has flown), never really wanted to tell war stories to my wife and even her mom and aunt/uncle/cousins. Over Mother's Day of last year (or it may have been the Thanksgiving prior), we were sitting around his table and I had mentioned that my grandfather (also deceased) had served in WWII in the Army, fighting in Italy.

Wife's paw opened up more than he ever had previously because of what I shared about my grandfather. He was in the Navy, fighting in the Pacific. He had some crazy stories, as you could imagine.

I definitely want to honor both him and my grandpa here today. :wacko:

We're watching "Best years of our lives" right now. Great flick, for after WWII stuff. If you've never seen it...watch it. It says a lot.

Yesterday was watching "Battleground". Probably the best WWII war film ever!

We're watching "Best years of our lives" right now. Great flick, for after WWII stuff. If you've never seen it...watch it. It says a lot.

Yesterday was watching "Battleground". Probably the best WWII war film ever!

I watched it too last night RR! I can't believe I've never seen it all the way through......I'd keep catching it for the last 5 minutes....lol.

Thank you to all our service men and women. A special thank you to my two nephews and one cousin who are serving currently. :wacko: