[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I flew first class last week

frenzal rhomb

It's fairly over-rated unless you are flying international, and then it's a world above coach.

Domestic, even on cross country flights the airlines have scaled back so much on the service that the food/beverage selection and overall amenities are a fraction of what they were a decade ago.

International...bus class and first class seats have the deep recline (some laying back into full size beds), pretty good quality meals, usually much better entertainment options, ice cream sundaes, it's a world apart of the international coach experience

Did you sit next to Vanna White?

I miss the free bumps from when I was platinum. My wife and I got bumped on an 8:00 am flight to Vegas a couple of years ago. I must have had 5 bloody mary's on the way. And I agree...business class internationally is the bomb diggity. Blows away first class. But if you actually pay for the ticket it was like $8,000 versus $2,000 for coach. :wacko:

I typically flew first class on my monthly trips from Austin to Orange County, California. It was a pretty early-ish flight and first was usually pretty empty, so I either got a free bump or would pay like $50. It'd be totally worth it for the fatter seat, breakfast (which was usually a pretty darn good omelet) and the ability to nap if needed... especially since I was making out like a bandit on what I was making for a week's worth of work out there. Then I'd coach it back to Austin and try to sleep in a window seat.

I may be flying to Costa Rica in about a month and hoping I still have enough points for a bump if I am able to fly American. :wacko:

Edited by darin3

On an international flight first class really pays off when you have to visit the facilities. Nothing is more disgusting than going to the john after some third world peasant or New Yorker has dropped a deuce on the floor.

I've never flown 1st class & probably never will. :wacko:

I probably never will again either - just happened to be sitting in the right place at the right time and the airline personnel came up and bumped us - white trash that I am i had to brag aboout it

I can only hope to never fly first class again. If I do it's because I'm travelling to much for work which accumulates my miles for me. Haven't had to do that in a few years and no way am I paying the premium.

we used to use miles for upgrades when traveling to hawaii or europe (even got a few free business tix here and there). as we don't travel as much, not accumulating as many miles. was much easier when it was just the two of us... now with the third, much more $$ in general to travel

I get upgraded domestically quite often because of my frequent flyer status.

I flew to Germany in February and used miles to upgrade to Continental's Business First, that was awesome. Fully reclining chairs, top notch food, VIP treatment. :wacko:

I flew to Germany in February and used miles to upgrade to Continental's Business First, that was awesome. Fully reclining chairs, top notch food, VIP treatment. :wacko:

You got a private room, 4 strippers and a magnum of champagne... on plane flight?!?!?! Sweet!!!!

Did Whomper try to strangle you?

I flew to Germany in February and used miles to upgrade to Continental's Business First, that was awesome. Fully reclining chairs, top notch food, VIP treatment. :lol:

OK, wait... Just how many miles do you have to have to be considered a "frequent flyer" because that NEVER happens to me? :wacko:

When I get bumped from a flight, the best I usually get is a meal ticket & a worthless $150 travel voucher. I thought it would be kinda cool to have for my next trip so that I could upgrade my ticket to first class, but the friggin upgrade cost $300. :tup:

there are different levels/tiers of ff's.

I know, I was actually just being facetious. Most airlines have it set where you only acquire those type of free upgrades if you travel so many miles within a calendar year. I travel quite a bit & have over 40,000 miles combined with a couple of different airlines, but never quite enough to reach that status. It's the same way with car rentals. When we're traveling, I'll usually get up to executive status & get free upgrades, but then every time we hit a lull in our schedule I get knocked back down.

I know, I was actually just being facetious. Most airlines have it set where you only acquire those type of free upgrades if you travel so many miles within a calendar year. I travel quite a bit & have over 40,000 miles combined with a couple of different airlines, but never quite enough to reach that status. It's the same way with car rentals. When we're traveling, I'll usually get up to executive status & get free upgrades, but then every time we hit a lull in our schedule I get knocked back down.

nod. would be nice to remain in a certain status, even in down years.