[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Man falls to his death catching a baseball at game

BeeR

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This story really upset me today. I read the article, and then I watched the video. Seeing a Dad there with his son enjoying a baseball game together, in my book, one of the best bonding experiences fathers and sons can have. Knowing that the little boy watched his father fall to his death. Then hearing that the Father's first words were to make sure his kid was taken care of, as he was up there alone, made me think that this is a good Dad that was lost. It brought tears to my eyes, and I went up and gave my son a big hug. So tragic, so sad.

perfectly said

This story really upset me today. I read the article, and then I watched the video. Seeing a Dad there with his son enjoying a baseball game together, in my book, one of the best bonding experiences fathers and sons can have. Knowing that the little boy watched his father fall to his death. Then hearing that the Father's first words were to make sure his kid was taken care of, as he was up there alone, made me think that this is a good Dad that was lost. It brought tears to my eyes, and I went up and gave my son a big hug. So tragic, so sad.

Well put Menudo. Exactly my thoughts.

in essence, he did "risk his life for a baseball". not sure you could even argue against that.

? Hardly. Based on that logic, if someone slips in the bathtub and breaks their neck and dies, they risked their life for a bath. I kinda doubt he went "hey if I lean over too far I could fall and die, but it's worth the risk for this baseball."

A buddy of mine from high school is the local weather forecaster for Fox 4 in Dallas. His Facebook page linked Fox 4's page which has a picture of the father/son together in fireman gear, and requests for donations to the family to help with expenses/education fund. The photo is a great one, but heartbreaking in hindsight.

Here is the link for those on FB:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/FOX-4-News/172530812092

A buddy of mine from high school is the local weather forecaster for Fox 4 in Dallas. His Facebook page linked Fox 4's page which has a picture of the father/son together in fireman gear, and requests for donations to the family to help with expenses/education fund. The photo is a great one, but heartbreaking in hindsight.

You went to high school with Dan Henry?

Man, that's a tough picture to look at.

? Hardly. Based on that logic, if someone slips in the bathtub and breaks their neck and dies, they risked their life for a bath. I kinda doubt he went "hey if I lean over too far I could fall and die, but it's worth the risk for this baseball."

Reaching over a railing when there is a 20 foot drop to cement is not the same as taking a bath. While a very tragic story, he was responsible for his own actions. At some point in his mind he decided to reach for that baseball so while the decision was made very quickly that was the decision that he made. This is not the same as a freak accident like slipping in the tub and breaking his neck or having a piano fall on his head as he was walking down the street.

Reaching over a railing when there is a 20 foot drop to cement is not the same as taking a bath.
Risk-wise, yeah it is.

This is not the same as a freak accident like slipping in the tub and breaking his neck
Yeah, it is.

I'm not necessarily the voice of reason around here, but here goes:

BB's comments were a knee jerk and I can live w/ that. We've all done it and lived w/ it. He's a well respected member here and I respect him and his thoughts.

The incident:

I have several times done some stoopid stuff. It's a reaction and can't be explained from the easy chair.

Case in point:

1) Went for a foul ball (White Sux Game). Dam thing hit me in the palm and bounced off my palm and hit a guy in the head in front of me (a friend). He was taken to e care. I got badly bruised. (2%???)

2) Was washing dishes and a very sharp knife was falling off the counter. Yup, I grabbed at it and sliced my hand open like a watermelon.

It's a freakin' reflex action!

3) Went to get a piece of wood in a saw. Almost cut my arm off. DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel very bad for the guy and his family. I am sure BB does also. But a roast of BB is not important here. THE FAMILY!!!!

Nuff said. BB is a respected member here and I take that as gold.

BB's comments were a knee jerk and I can live w/ that. We've all done it and lived w/ it. He's a well respected member here and I respect him and his thoughts.

The incident:

I have several times done some stoopid stuff. It's a reaction and can't be explained from the easy chair.

Case in point:

1) Went for a foul ball (White Sux Game). Dam thing hit me in the palm and bounced off my palm and hit a guy in the head in front of me (a friend). He was taken to e care. I got badly bruised. (2%???)

2) Was washing dishes and a very sharp knife was falling off the counter. Yup, I grabbed at it and sliced my hand open like a watermelon.

3) Went to get a piece of wood in a saw. Almost cut my arm off. DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel very bad for the guy and his family. I am sure BB does also. But a roast of BB is not important here. THE FAMILY!!!!

Well said.

The incident:

Case in point:

I'm down wit dat.

If that was a 39 year old, shirtless tattooed guy at the game with his buddies, I think that the analysis of the guy's actions would be a bit different.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that he'd get some nominations for a Darwin award.

I am impressed at how BeeR manages to troll both sides of the argument here.

I guess that was supposed to make sense to you in some odd way. Or just you doing the trolling. giggle.

Sorry, I don't troll.

The incident:

Case in point:

These comments are much appreciated and strike close to home.

About 1/3rd of my job is going into the field on construction sites to monitor quality control. I've watched guys intentionally take undue risks to do their jobs, and my response is always harsh and immediate: What you are doing is thoughtless, and nothing we are doing is so important that you risk not going home at the end of the day.

I've watched guys go on swing stages 42 stories in the air without lanyards attached, I've watched guys go into unshored vertically cut trenches 20 feet deep, I've watched guys operating $2M/20 ton pieces of machinery on slopes that will roll it, I've watched guys welding in confined spaces where the fumes could kill them in seconds, etc

Hell, I went past an accident just over a month ago a mile east of one of our sites where border patrol agents were chasing illegals and try to beat a train to a crossing and lost - 2 families lost their husbands/fathers that day.

Just last week a girl was killed here just outside Denver when she decided to go climbing outside clearly defined areas, and her boyfriend and other friends had to watch as she lost her grip and slid over the edge to fall 100 feet to her death.

We had a tragedy at Coors field last year - a guy was sliding down one of those guardrails on his butt and fell over the edge to his death in a very similar fashion to this death.

I just don't understand why people knowingly put themselves in such bad positions for something that is relatively so meaningless. Whether is chasing a baseball or placing gravel in a trench or trying to catch a few illegals or trying to reach just a little further to fasten that bolt - it doesn't make sense to me. So I have grown to respond harshly and sometimes in anger when I watch someone irrationally risk something as precious as their lives and all that they bring to their familes and their friends lives for something that has little value or could be done in a little more time safely. The lack of foresight for the consequences when doing this kind of stuff just dumbfounds me.

It also sets me off when people try to assign blame to other things/people/entities when these people take such overt risks at thier own discretion. Lose of life in these cases is always awful, and those loved ones left behind to try to understand it are well worth every bit of our sympathy. It is truly terrible when it is a situation that could have easily been prevented when just a lit common sense would have prevailed. Everyone dies - sometimes horribly, but deaths don't need to be senseless.

I regret that I've upset some people so badly here. It wasn't my intention.

Edited by Bronco Billy

If that was a 39 year old, shirtless tattooed guy at the game with his buddies, I think that the analysis of the guy's actions would be a bit different.

True. But, if a young man at a hip hop concert fell to his death over a raliing to catch bling, I'd like to think we could credit BeeR for starting that thread also.

Edited by bushwacked

I am morbidly curious to see this video but cant click it for the simple fact that I dont want to see for 1 second, the sons reaction when he realizes the Dad is falling

exactly the same reason why I did not click....I couldn't bring myself to do it...