[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Whats going on in Chicago?

tazinib1

"What in the wide, wide world of sports is a-goin' on here?"

Seriously though, why is Knox being listed as the #4 WR behind Roy Williams (really? Roy Williams???),Hester and Earl Bennett???

Is he in the doghouse or something? Or is this just a ploy to give Williams some confidence during pre-season? I really find it hard to believe that Knox is not in the starting lineup come week 1. Any Bears homers got an inside on this?

Hester seems to be a smokescreen. The guy is an average WR at best. But becasue they have to respect his speed, he rarely gets press coverage and can catch DBs on their heels for a quick 5 yard stop route. Knox is best utilized in the slot, so no worries there in a Martz offense IF he can run better routes.

Roy will be the #1, and after that, who knows.

Knox ran TERRIBLE routes last year. Like letting the defender cut under him on quick slant routes, directly leading to more than a few Cutler INTs. Until Knox can capably run the precision routes that Martz requires, he will be limited to "go" routes out of the slot.

Hester seems to be a smokescreen. The guy is an average WR at best. But becasue they have to respect his speed, he rarely gets press coverage and can catch DBs on their heels for a quick 5 yard stop route. Knox is best utilized in the slot, so no worries there in a Martz offense IF he can run better routes.

Knox ran TERRIBLE routes last year. Like letting the defender cut under him on quick slant routes, directly leading to more than a few Cutler INTs. Until Knox can capably run the precision routes that Martz requires, he will be limited to "go" routes out of the slot.

This.

I agree here. His mechanics just warrant him to run slant routes. He's unable to get that needed separation. Granted, having Williams will force offenses to be a tad more honest but I still expect a heavy does of blitz packages with Knox getting plenty of work over the middle .... that, or Cutler looking at the stars from his backside.

Don't remember where I read it and too lazy to look it up, but I think there was a blurb about Knox leading the league in intercepted passes thrown towards him. Pretty sure they said 11. Some of it is Cutler being Cutler, but obviously not all.

Just curious, (not trying to bust on anyone) but when was the last time a Chicago WR finished anywhere near the top 20 for his position?

That's a lot more about the QB's though. Cutler is the first one that *might* be able to produce a viable fantasy WR.

That's a lot more about the QB's though. Cutler is the first one that *might* be able to produce a viable fantasy WR.

Personally, that's one situation I'm going to let someone else take a flyer on. I have nearly as much confidence in him being a viable QB as I do in his WRs to produce for a change & his OL to keep him off the turf.

Just curious, (not trying to bust on anyone) but when was the last time a Chicago WR finished anywhere near the top 20 for his position?

Last yr in Fusion & GMX scoring Knox ranked 23

Edited by keggerz

What's the deal with this rookie Sanzenbecher (sp?). I took a late rookie draft flyer on him as I heard he may beat out Bennett for the slot.

ageed. Seems this is the same thing with Martz. We are just gonna have to until we have to. It's a Martz offense....love and learn.

Personally, that's one situation I'm going to let someone else Keggerz take a flyer on. I have nearly as much confidence in him being a viable QB as I do in his WRs to produce for a change & his OL to keep him off the turf.

Fixed

Actually, this group should be a whole lot stronger with the addition of Williams, who I believe has something left in the tank. You can't ignore him, and if they drop Hester or Knox into the slot that's where the mismatches should happen. Personally, I think it makes sense for Hester to go there and be the Az Hakim role, in which he should flourish - but that depends on Knox running better routes.

Guys, Chicago media is saying Hester is looking amazing in camp. Whether that is actually true or not, in whatever definition, the Bears are going down in flames with this guy. They committed money to him and want to feature him and Cutler better get used to it.

Roy Williams came in to be the number one guy. What that says about the rest of the guys...well you tell me.

Martz says Knox not ready for starting job

Bears offensive coordinator urges wide receiver to work to earn playing time

12:21 a.m. CDT, August 11, 2011

BOURBONNAIS — Johnny Knox is confident when the preseason ends he will be back in the starting lineup for the Bears, but offensive coordinator Mike Martz says the speedster isn't ready.

The demotion of Knox behind newcomer Roy Williams creates an interesting situation. By no means does it remove Knox — who played on 88.2 percent of the snaps in 2010 — from the offense entirely. But it dramatically reduces his role at wide receiver.

If he can't displace Williams for the Sept. 11 opener against the Falcons, there's a better than fair chance he will push for a new home, according to a source.

This is a guy, after all, who thought he would be talking contract extension before the end of the season and now has to surpass a competitor coming off three mediocre seasons with the Cowboys.

"He just has to get better. He has to play better," Martz told the Tribune on Wednesday. "That's all. It's just like when Johnny came in, Earl (Bennett) was the starter. We pushed Earl aside for Johnny because of the speed. We kind of gave that job to Johnny. That wasn't really earned. And once you get in this league, you should earn.

"He just was not ready, not because he can't do it or he's not talented. The preparation, the consistency that's required … he does a lot of good things, but they have to be good all the time. That's what Roy is.

"You just don't get there in a year. Not at the 'X' (primary) receiver. That's the position. Not only does he have to prepare better. Just with everything, he has to be a perfectionist. And young players feel like it's given to them, when it's not. So he's learning that, just like everybody else."

Perhaps it's no coincidence NFL Network analyst Marshall Faulk criticized Knox shortly after last season, making you wonder if he was talking to his former coach with the Rams.

Maybe the Bears are trying to light a fire under Knox. That would be a best-case scenario for him, because to hear Martz tell it, the fifth-round pick from 2009 was thrust into a role because the team had no one else.

General manager Jerry Angelo told Knox at the start of camp he was expecting big things from him. Knox had 960 receiving yards last season, 40 shy of becoming the team's first receiver since Marty Booker in 2002 to have 1,000.

Knox, who got stronger in his upper body, has been slowed by a minor back injury but is back in the mix.

He was the big-play target for quarterback Jay Cutler last season when he averaged 18.8 yards per catch, fifth in the NFL. One-third of his catches went for 20 yards or more and you have to wonder if Williams, who played well for Martz on the Lions, can be that threat downfield.

"He made some really good plays, and he's going to be a heck of a player in the league," Martz said of Knox. "But there's a process that he has to go through yet."

Wow - that seems like it goes well beyond trying to light a fire under Knox and instead is a very public slap in the face. You don't handle a young player this way - thoroughly embarrassing him in the press - unless you are fully prepared to lose him.

Thank goodness I only have Knox in one league and also by happenstance own Williams also. It looks like Knox is headed to the bench in favor of Williams, and it looks like Knox is going to react by trying to force a trade.

It's also interesting watching Hester getting such praise. Hester is a guy who hates contact downfield and simply will not fight for a ball, and has allowed CBs to cross his face regularly. The guy has caused INTs simply by refusing to engage and even stick a hand in to bat a ball down.

Edited by Bronco Billy

It's also interesting watching Hester getting such praise. Hester is a guy who hates contact downfield and simply will not fight for a ball, and has allowed CBs to cross his face regularly. The guy has caused INTs simply by refusing to engage and even stick a hand in to bat a ball down.

Yeah, but how much of that is he going to see in practice?

This, especially.

If there is a player that seemed to be the one who tried the most, it was Knox. Granted, I'm not as intimate with the players as Martz is, but I just can't see how Hester has tried harder than Knox.

If I were Knox, I might singing the "trade" song as well. Maybe Jacksonville?

This, especially.

If there is a player that seemed to be the one who tried the most, it was Knox. Granted, I'm not as intimate with the players as Martz is, but I just can't see how Hester has tried harder than Knox.

If I were Knox, I might singing the "trade" song as well. Maybe Jacksonville?

Living in Chicago, there is no way that is true. Knox ran lazy routes all year, and was directly responsible for more than a few Cutler INTs. Hester has been trying to learn a new position that Knox has played for years. But subtle nuances of the game still escape Knox. Hester was much better as a WR last year than the year before, which shows inprovement. I really didnt see much difference between Knox's rookie year and last year. In fact, I think in some ways he regressed.

Knox shouldnt whine about having to work at being a better receiver. He could THRIVE in the 3rd WR role with the mismatches his speed will create. I would play my butt off, shut up, and play for a big contract after the rookie deal.