[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

STL Receivers

michaelman

Nothing would shock me, but if I had to guess, I'd say there's a 98% chance Gilyard is not on the 53.

Per Rotoworld yesterday:

"Rams WR/KR Mardy Gilyard has "dramatically improved" in his second training camp.

Gilyard got off to slow start, struggling with mental lapses, but he's been coming on stronger and stronger over the past two weeks. Beat writer Jim Thomas has moved Gilyard ahead of third-rounder Austin Pettis on his own projected depth chart. Gilyard may need to nail down kickoff and punt returns to solidify the sixth receiver spot. Aug 24 - 12:26 AM

Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch"

Before reading this yesterday I would have totally agreed with STL Fan, but now I'm lost.

:wacko:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per Rotoworld yesterday:

"Rams WR/KR Mardy Gilyard has "dramatically improved" in his second training camp.

Gilyard got off to slow start, struggling with mental lapses, but he's been coming on stronger and stronger over the past two weeks. Beat writer Jim Thomas has moved Gilyard ahead of third-rounder Austin Pettis on his own projected depth chart. Gilyard may need to nail down kickoff and punt returns to solidify the sixth receiver spot. Aug 24 - 12:26 AM

Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch"

Before reading this yesterday I would have totally agreed with STL Fan, but now I'm lost.

:wacko:

Preseason diatribe. Don't read allot of what they tell the press. Could be sales pitch to get some value on a trade, potentially. Or, maybe they are telling the truth. Nothing what I've seen would coincide with what their saying, but hey, they are a hell of allot more intimate than I am with them!

From Jim Thomas, STL Post-Dispatch Rams beat writer, posted early this morning:

Wide receivers

Currently on roster: 12

Likely to make final roster: 6 or 7

Safe and sound: Danny Amendola, Donnie Avery, Brandon Gibson, Mike Sims-Walker

On the bubble: Danario Alexander, Mardy Gilyard, Austin Pettis, Greg Salas

Probably not: Dominique Curry, Jared Jenkins, Greg Mathews, Joe West

This is becoming like the Saints offense 2 years ago where you had a different WR making the big play each week. One week it was Devery, then another Colston, then another Lance Moore - I see this similarity in STL this year with Gibson, MSW and Avery all rotating big plays on a weekly basis.

What happened to MSW? Why has he fallen so far?

I think he was hurt early in the pre-season. He did score a TD in the Thursday game. I'm starting to lean his way as my favorite to be 'the guy'. However, I won't draft any of them with confidence. Not saying I won't take a flyer in the late rounds (I already drafted Gibson in a league) but I won't be drafting any of them thinking they will be starters. Just flyers this year until someone emerges.

Edited by Brentastic

depends on your league mostly...my local is 10 teams with 16 roster spots. 6 taken up by QB, K & D.

I can't see anyone other than MSW being drafted in that league. And that's because folks know his name...

McDaniels has been able to turn his X receivers into fantasy beasts the last few years. What is the depth chart like for the Rams at that spot? Do they all play all the spots? I think Avery is a Y from what I've seen. Is the X Sims-Walker? Is Gibson his backup? One of these guys is going to pop this year. Bradford should throw for upwards of 3700, and somebody is going to be a monster.

Some people may remember how wildly inconsistent he was last year and now he's part of a gaggle of receiving options for the Lambs :wacko:

I think he's been inconsistant since he joined the league. Granted, that might have something to do with Garrad throwing the rock to you, but I think most of it was all his own!

But for only a 1 year contract. I think Clayton is only a stop gap.

He was the Rams leading receiver last year before he got hurt. As a fan, I'm excited about our WR corps, as a fantasy owner, you might as well try to pick a Denver RB. Good luck with that.

He was the Rams leading receiver last year before he got hurt. As a fan, I'm excited about our WR corps, as a fantasy owner, you might as well try to pick a Denver RB. Good luck with that.

lol I dropped Avery and up McGahee since I had Moreno. Was thinking about going back since I am a little thinner at WR.

I think the primary reason they even resigned him was for the fact that he was their leading receiver. I think his continued injury bug is the reason why they only 1 upped him!

Salas looks safe, but Pettis could be in trouble

BY ROGER HENSLEY STLtoday.com | Posted: Thursday, September 1, 2011 1:39 pm | (12) Comments

Is rookie WR Austin Pettis on the chopping block? His performance tonight against Jacksonville may help make that determination. QUESTION: Do you think wide receivers Austin Pettis and Greg Salas, the Rams’ third- and fourth-round draft picks, respectively, are both going to make the final cut?

JIM THOMAS

Good question, tough call. Salas has shown enough on the practice field and in the past two preseason games that it looks like he should be safe. He has shown a knack for getting open on underneath routes, at times looking almost like a bigger Danny Amendola, and has shown some yards-after-catch skill. Pettis is a tougher call. He has looked good on the practice field, and in that sense you can say he’s had a good camp. But he has done very little on game day against Indy, Tennessee, and Kansas City. More precisely, one catch for six yards. A good showing tonight against Jacksonville seemingly would help his cause.

BILL COATS

Normally third- and fourth-round picks would be near-locks to make the final 53. But the Rams still have nine wide receivers vying for six or seven jobs, and all appear to be in the running. That said, I think Salas is in. Not so sure about Pettis, though. He really hasn’t showed much. He needs a solid outing tonight in Jacksonville.

BRYAN BURWELL

With the extremely crowded and very competitive race at wide receiver, right now it appears that Pettis is the one rookie draft pick who needs a big game to distinguish himself or face the waiver wire and a stint on the practice squad.

JEFF GORDON

Salas has looked great in preseason play, so it would be stunning to see him get cut. Pettis hasn’t shown much in those games to this point, so tonight is huge for him. Something has to give here, aside from Danario Alexander’s knee, unfortunately. A lot of draft experts regarded Salas as a better pick than Pettis and that has played out to this point of their development.

ROGER HENSLEY

It’s an odd situation, really, in the sense that normally third- and fourth-round picks are shoo-ins to make the 53-man roster. It’s odder yet, in this instance, when you look at the fact that both rookies are wide receivers seeking to find a spot on a team that isn’t exactly loaded with talent at the position. While Salas looks like a safe bet to make the team, if Pettis is unable to crack this corps of WRs it certainly will be a blemish on Billy Devaney’s selection of him so high in the draft.

Linkety link

FWIW from last night:

Pettis had one fair catch on a punt return in the 3rd quarter, 1 end around run for 0 yds on the last play of the 3rd quarter, and had 0 catches and 0 targets for the game.

On the radio in STL, they mentioned that Pettis is having a very, very hard time shaking press coverage and runs sloppy routes. He has few targets and few receptions because he doesn't deserve them. He's not getting open.

Pettis = Practice Squad

as much as I wanted to see Gilyard succeed, he's a goner...

I think MSW is the WR to get of this bunch...Amendola is a good PPR guy, but wont help much in standard or TD only leagues...

...and the real question is who is going to be the Eddie Royal of this bunch...Avery?...Royal went from high-upside to irrelevant in one year under McDoofus....

Funny that FFers as a whole saw Salas as a better prospect than STL management/coaching did. He was going earlier than Pettis in almost every FF dynasty draft I saw last May (I grabbed him in 2 of 3 leagues myself while Pettis was still on the board). Pettis went almost a full round later to other owners in both those drafts.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Pettis = Practice Squad

as much as I wanted to see Gilyard succeed, he's a goner...

I think MSW is the WR to get of this bunch...Amendola is a good PPR guy, but wont help much in standard or TD only leagues...

...and the real question is who is going to be the Eddie Royal of this bunch...Avery?...Royal went from high-upside to irrelevant in one year under McDoofus....

Avery is your wildcard, yes. He show that real burst a couple times last night.