[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

a groupon question for detlef

wiegie

What would you do if you were the manager?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do if you were the manager?

• let me redeem the groupon a full-face value
    • let me redeem the groupon for the price I paid for it
    • tell me to bugger off and not let me use the groupon at all

So, a few hours ago I realized that I have a groupon for a local restaurant that expires today. I called them up a few hours ago to make a reservation and they told me that they were all booked up for reservations, but that I could come in early or late and get a table first-come, first-served. My wife and I planned to leave to go eat in a few minutes and I just looked at the groupon again noticed that it says "reservation required".

So, what would you do if you were the restaurant manager/owner when I show up there in a few minutes?

So, a few hours ago I realized that I have a groupon for a local restaurant that expires today. I called them up a few hours ago to make a reservation and they told me that they were all booked up for reservations, but that I could come in early or late and get a table first-come, first-served. My wife and I planned to leave to go eat in a few minutes and I just looked at the groupon again noticed that it says "reservation required".

So, what would you do if you were the restaurant manager/owner when I show up there in a few minutes?

I would just get you a high chair and let you chow down using the groupon

I say full value of coupon.

I would think that as a restaurant owner the whole reason for using GroupOn is to get people to try your place and not just hope a bunch of people buy coupons that they forget to use. He also runs the risk of pissing off a potential future customer.

+1...get them in the door, hope they order lots of drinks and tell their friends it was a good experience. Only a total ass would weasel out on a technicality like that.

When you show up, if they have an open table, BEFORE they seat you, whip out the Groupon. If they say, well this applies to reservations only, then you say:

"I'd like to make a reservation right now for that table over there."

Related to this, in college, the student paper would routinely run an ad for buy-one/get-one ice creams at The Marble Slab Creamery (YUMMY!).

One time, they ran it without any expiration date on the coupon.

When I noticed that, I snagged like 100 school papers and cut out all the coupons. I was still using those bad boys 5+ years later.

I miss The Marble Slab. :wacko:

It also depends on if you only plan on ordering toast and a "good" dirty martini while asking him if it is hot enough and only tip 10%.

wait . . . we still talkin about detlef here? :wacko:

Well, we went and there were no problems with the using the groupon at all. :tup:

Yeah, I mean, it's not like the waitstaff knows whether their customers had a reservation or not. :wacko:

I took a coupon into Famous Footwear that was good from 9/4 - 9/18 on 9/3 and it took a little wiggle, but I got them to honor it. I was prepared to just walk out and make the trek back the next day but the manager approved it.