[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Getting a Droid today

whomper

I am not changing my mind so please dont say "get the iphone etc. The reason for posting this is I am looking for droid tid bits. Droid users, let me know some features you like and apps etc. Just any general helpful info and downsides would be appreciated.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what happened? Why did you switch?

Couldn't get my corporate e-mail account to work on the Droid II Global. I went to Verizon, had our IT team try, for weeks and weeks and for some reason it just would not work. I could receive e-mail, just couldn't send. Mind you, it worked fine on the original Droid. My attraction to the Droid was always the full "real" keyboard as opposed to the touch screen on most other phones. However, because of the e-mail issue, I decided to get the iPhone. I went into the parking lot, and within 2 minutes had my corporate e-mail working, and very quickly got used to the touch screen keyboard I thought I wouldn't like. I am NOT and Apple guy, but I love my iPhone.

I still have the Droid II and use it when I travel internationally because the iPhone isn't global yet. That would be my one major issue with the iPhone.

Couldn't get my corporate e-mail account to work on the Droid II Global. I went to Verizon, had our IT team try, for weeks and weeks and for some reason it just would not work. I could receive e-mail, just couldn't send. Mind you, it worked fine on the original Droid. My attraction to the Droid was always the full "real" keyboard as opposed to the touch screen on most other phones. However, because of the e-mail issue, I decided to get the iPhone. I went into the parking lot, and within 2 minutes had my corporate e-mail working, and very quickly got used to the touch screen keyboard I thought I wouldn't like. I am NOT and Apple guy, but I love my iPhone.

I still have the Droid II and use it when I travel internationally because the iPhone isn't global yet. That would be my one major issue with the iPhone.

I am actually calling our work email host today to be sure they can sync me up to the droid. If they cant, it is a deal breaker

One way Droid is better than iPhone: You can tether your Droid to your laptop, so wherever you get phone signal, you have internet access. No more paying hotels for internet. Your phone becomes a WiFi hot spot. I've heard the iPhone 4 will have this app, but if you have an older one you can't do this unless you're a pro hacker.

One way Droid is better than iPhone: You can tether your Droid to your laptop, so wherever you get phone signal, you have internet access. No more paying hotels for internet. Your phone becomes a WiFi hot spot. I've heard the iPhone 4 will have this app, but if you have an older one you can't do this unless you're a pro hacker.

That's not entirely true. It's dependent on what provider your use. AT&T charges you up the yin-yang to do this. So unless you want to "jailbreak" or "root" the phone, this isn't exactly the best feature.

I've had my Droid since late July and I'm lukewarm. Sure, it's more gadgety than the Blackberry, but the email setup is clunky at best. You'd think a phone with software developed by Google would have email setup down pat. I am still muddling through with my three email accounts with it not working as it should.

Battery life is a huge issue. It never lasts an entire day. I recommend picking up a second battery.

Facebook and your browser will be awesome as heck, and there are a million apps you can fiddle with. That is, until your battery dies.

Still have my blackberry but considering the iPhone and Droid options. Main thing for me now is the ability to setup a WiFi hotspot that the iPad can piggy back on. While I got the 3G iPad fro my birthday, would prefer to use WiFi as much as possible, and Blackberry just does not allow you to create a wifi hotspot. I can tether to my laptop no problem, but can't tether the iPad. Wife has a droid that she likes, but I also know a ton of people that swear by the iPhone.

That's not entirely true. It's dependent on what provider your use. AT&T charges you up the yin-yang to do this. So unless you want to "jailbreak" or "root" the phone, this isn't exactly the best feature.

I've had my Droid since late July and I'm lukewarm. Sure, it's more gadgety than the Blackberry, but the email setup is clunky at best. You'd think a phone with software developed by Google would have email setup down pat. I am still muddling through with my three email accounts with it not working as it should.

Battery life is a huge issue. It never lasts an entire day. I recommend picking up a second battery.

Facebook and your browser will be awesome as heck, and there are a million apps you can fiddle with. That is, until your battery dies.

Biggest complaint I have with the iPhone is you can't replace the battery. I'm guessing battery life is an issue with any smartphone simply because all the added functionality uses a lot of power, but at least with a droid you can whip out a spare charged battery whenever you need. If I'm out all day without access to a power outlet, I have to be very careful about how much I use my phone because once it dies, it dies.

I rooted my Evo and haven't looked back. Had to try several ROMs and kernals but finally got decent battery life.

Yeah, big plus.

Unless you jailbreak your iphone - then you get tethered WiFi for free. :wacko:

sounds like user error. :wacko:

I'm a tech dumbass these days. A buddy of mine who's in IT said he did the jailbreak on his wife's iPhone but doesn't dare try it on his Droid. :wacko:

I know nothing about iPhones. Didn't even know you could root them.

Rooting the droid is very simple. If you do your research and back everything up before attempting it's pretty much foolproof.

I'm a tech dumbass these days. A buddy of mine who's in IT said he did the jailbreak on his wife's iPhone but doesn't dare try it on his Droid. :wacko:

BUddy of mine bricks his Droid weekly. Always trying new things and ends up screwing things up. :tup:

I've bricked my iphone once. Took almost a full day to get everything back on there.

I got the droid 3. I am a fossil so I got the one with the pull out keyboard. I dont really need 4g and I heard that drains battery even worse than others. As far as internet speed , I am coming from a blackberry so the guy at verizon said ill be blown away by 3g compared to the BB. anyway, I am starting to dive in to it now. Just downloaded my first app :tear

I am not changing my mind so please dont say "get the iphone etc. The reason for posting this is I am looking for droid tid bits. Droid users, let me know some features you like and apps etc. Just any general helpful info and downsides would be appreciated.

Advanced Task Killer - helps control the apps running in the back ground, improves battery life

Shop Savvy - UPC/barcode scanner checks prices in local shopping markets and online - great for comparing prices

Shazam - music database, Like a song? don't know the artist/title/album? hit the button the app listens and spits back the info

Amazon marketplace - Amazon's android market - they offer one regularly pay app for free everyday

Kindle app

Google +

Facebook

Toddler Lock - Have a young one? - this will lock your phone and provide hours of entertainment for little ones( as long as your battery lasts)

The Huddle

CBSSportsline Fantasy football app

Games:

Plants vs Zombies

Angry Birds

Cut the Rope

I'll write more later. Have to go back to work