[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carson Palmer to the Raiders

Grits and Shins

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this move by the Raiders.

I also think Palmer has been slightly underrated. Look how well Ocho and Housh did without him.

I'm also hoping this will boost the fabtasy value of DHB, and possibly even D. Moore.

Surely Palmer is a better option than Campbell.

I like this move by the Raiders.

I also think Palmer has been slightly underrated. Look how well Ocho and Housh did without him.

I'm also hoping this will boost the fabtasy value of DHB, and possibly even D. Moore.

Surely Palmer is a better option than Campbell.

Both those guys were also in their prime in Cincy. Housh was in Cincy until he was 32. Ocho is also old and simply can't find his niche in the Belichick system.

Raiders overestimate their "win-now" chances. If anything, they should have made a deal withthe Patriots for Ryan Mallet. Better long term prospect and would have cost less.

While there talking to NE might as well go after Tom Brady too. He's a good prospect as well. :wacko:

Jim Plunkett. I'm just saying...

Exactly, the Autumn wind is a Raider and this is what we do. We needed a Quarterback and who was the best available? When we need a kicker we draft Ray Guy, or Seabass. When we need a QB we get the best we can. We live and die by our choices. It may work out or it may not, but as a 35 year Raider fan, "Just win Baby." I like it!

Jim Plunkett. I'm just saying...

:tup:

To be honest, I really like the move.

This is an organization that has never believed in building through the draft, and they're showing that's something they're still committed to. Is two first round picks a little steep for a guy who hasn't played in awhile? Absolutely. But the risk is what makes this so intriguing as far as I'm concerned.

It's important to look at how this trade happened - because there is a series of "accidents" if you will, that actually make this a once in a lifetime trade that you really haven't seen before, and will probably never see again from a team.

Coaches want to win now, and a GM's job is to ensure success over a long period of time. It's very apparent that this is a Hue Jackson trade, but it's the implications of what that means that makes it so unique; we never see "win now" trades like this because GMs always veto - There's no safety net for long-term detriment to the team so they absolutely oppose. Well, with the passing of Al Davis a week ago, the Raiders don't have a GM. Amy Trask and Mark Davis don't have the football savvy that Al possessed - so there is really no presence in the front office that can keep perspective and argue against. So with no one to tell Hue "No, you can't trade away our draft picks for old people" - he hit the market a day after his starting QB went down.

Lastly, Jackson has a relationship with both Palmer and Brown. He knew what he would get with Palmer once he shakes the rust off (capabilities on the field, leadership and work ethic off the field) - so he was willing to take the risk. Would most coaches be willing to do that? No, not at all. But Jackson has been Palmer's coach at both the collegiate and professional level. Hue is also probably one of the few head coaches that could convince Brown to release him from exile. If other teams had known that Palmer was obtainable, regardless of the price, they would have come knocking as well (Miami?).

So really, it was only because Davis passed away, Campbell went down and the trade deadline approached all within the same week, and the fact that Hue was Palmer's coach throughout his career and came from the Bengals that this trade was able to fall into place.

"So what?" you're asking? So nothing. Just interesting to consider the circumstances for how this huge trade fell into place and why we probably won't see it again.

Will Palmer have some rust to shake off? Absolutely. Don't expect to see him until Week 9 at home against Denver. But he and Hue have a relationship - which will help the transition back into football and into the Raiders' offense. Does Palmer have the best deep arm in the league? No. But he showed in Cinncy he has great accuracy at the medium range, and isn't horrible at deep passes. With the Raiders' run game already in place and a very deep and talented receiving corps in DHB, Ford, Moore, Murphy and Schillens - I really do anticipate some success from Palmer. The AFC West comes down to Oakland and San Diego - and the two teams play in Week 10 and Week 17. If everyone stays healthy, we will be seeing some great AFC football.

The ultimate question is - can Carson win the Raiders a Superbowl? :wacko: I don't know.

It's going to be a tough road through the AFC in the playoffs this season. We barely beat Houston. We played well against the Pats until Campbell threw some picks - and then it fell apart. Could our O-Line and run defense handle Baltimore? Tough to say.

It took us a series of interesting events for Palmer to land on our roster, and I think it would take another series of fortunate events to land in the big dance. If the Raiders O-Line and DMC can stay healthy while other teams struggle with injuries late in the season, and Palmer is 3/4 of what he was in Cinncy, it could be a very interesting post-season for the Raiders. I don't think it's impossible.

Or he could come out and just plain suck.

Edited by kpholmes

Carson Palmer is TERRIBLE. He doesn't step into throws or play with any confidence whatsoever. At QB, that is more important than smarts or accuracy. I literally would not give a 4th rounder if it meant that Carson Palmer was my QB until 2014. Somebody with the Raiders made this trade based on name recognition and not from watching game tape.

all true.

:wacko:

this is a wonderful day to be a bengal fan!!!

Carson Palmer is TERRIBLE. He doesn't step into throws or play with any confidence whatsoever. At QB, that is more important than smarts or accuracy. I literally would not give a 4th rounder if it meant that Carson Palmer was my QB until 2014. Somebody with the Raiders made this trade based on name recognition and not from watching game tape.

ok, wait a minute. maybe not all true. if you are implying that palmer has any smarts, you are way off. he's dumb as a rock.

he's also not a leader. i don't think he's all that accurate either ...

this is a PHENOMENAL move by the bengals that will add to what is becoming a very nice foundation.

That is really FAST !!

Carson Palmer is expected to start Sunday's game against the Chiefs, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

So much for easing a guy in. The Raiders gave up a king's ransom for Palmer and understandably want him on the field immediately. Given Palmer's high football IQ, grasping the playbook shouldn't be a major stumbling block. He's on the radar as a QB2 and both Darrius Heyward-Bey/Denarius Moore are at least desperation options. They wouldn't have been if Kyle Boller had gotten the nod.

Edited by theeohiostate

I understand the issue of losing next year's 1st round pick and that conditional pick for 2013, but this would be a terrible move for a conventional team. The raiders have never been that keen on evaluating talent i.e. Jemarcus Russell, nuff said. Since the raiders typically are known to be a cemetary for vets, I don't see this as being out of the typical day to day for them. I do think it will help having Palmer though, they could do a lot worse.

Edited by Darkhorse1251

Wow, starting already this week, that is crazy. Is he in Oakland today and practicing? So that is what 3 days to prepare?

I think most people (including DMD) figured Boller gets the start and they wait to use Palmer until after the bye.

That is if Schefter's report turns out to be true.