[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Trimming the Hedges

Caveman_Nick

The ones in your yard.

Since I can no longer pay Chavez to come and do it, I am looking to get a hedge trimmer.

What do you use? Do you like it? Have hedge trimmer envy over what your neighbor has? Gas, electric or battery powered?

I am leaning electric, but can be swayed. Although electric can be a pain, trimming the hedges is not a regular duty job. The ones in the yard, I mean.

Stihl has expensive electrics. Black and Decker has cheap ones. Are expensive ones worth their price?

How much yard do you have? Unless its the size of a postage stamp, I would buy a gas trimmer.

Cords get in the way, particularly with a hedge trimmer.

Back in the day, I had an Echo that worked just fine. Now that I have a house again, I'll probably buy another.

How much yard do you have? Unless its the size of a postage stamp, I would buy a gas trimmer.

Back in the day, I had an Echo that worked just fine. Now that I have a house again, I'll probably buy another.

I have a good amount of yard and a fair amount of Shrubbery!

I have a good amount of yard and a fair amount of Shrubbery!

I would agree with Furd that gas is the way to go. I dont think you want to deal with dragging a cord around (particularly if you have a lot of trimming to do).

Unless you have shrubbery with very thin branches do not waste your time and money on electric trimmers. I have 2 gas trimmers. One is standard double sided normal blade length RedMax. I also have a 42" single sided Shindawa. If you want your hedges to have a professionally landscaped look, get gas powered trimmers. Stihl makes very high quality products.

Edited by slambo

I'd suggest the Echo power head with interchangable attachments. You can get the Josh Gordon whacker (line trimmer), hedge trimmer, and pole pruner. Other attachments are available.

The Red Max multi tool is similar. Both are gas, two cycle power heads.

The nice thing with both units is they give you extended reach... so fewer ladder moves.

The other thing is once you buy 2 attachments, buying more saves a lot of money over dedicated machines without attachment interchangability.

Unless you have shrubbery with very thin branches do not waste your time and money on electric trimmers. I have 2 gas trimmers. One is standard double sided normal blade length RedMax. I also have a 42" single sided Shindawa. If you want your hedges to have a profesionally landscaped look, get gas powered trimmers. Stihl makes very high quality products.

Some electrics are good enough for some people, but each trimmer will have specs detailing what size branch tey can c. I have a heavy duty Husquavarna 36" that can cut up to 1 1/2 inches. Then I have a Red Max extended reach good for up to 1 inch cuts. There is a cheap B&D corded electric at Home depot that is fine for small properties. Do not even consider any battery operated machines.

Like others have said, it depends on the size of the shrubs branches and how many... I have a Ryobi Lithium battery-powered trimmer that does the job for my shrubs. No cord, and light enough that I can use one hand to reach those limbs in the back if necessary. The battery life fairly good unless I have to go into the thick bushes, then it has to work harder and drains the battery quicker. I still give it :wacko: for most jobs.

I'd suggest the Echo power head with interchangable attachments. You can get the Josh Gordon whacker (line trimmer), hedge trimmer, and pole pruner. Other attachments are available.

The Red Max multi tool is similar. Both are gas, two cycle power heads.

The nice thing with both units is they give you extended reach... so fewer ladder moves.

The other thing is once you buy 2 attachments, buying more saves a lot of money over dedicated machines without attachment interchangability.

One concern I have about the interchangeable units is how weildy the hedge trimmer is. Seems like it would be tougher to use than a dedicated model. Any thoughts on that?

Trimming the hedges is a lady's job. I would demand the wife to do it, and make her buy her own tool.

This! Unlike Spain's desire for bushes like Artis Gilmore's I prefer a more manageable patch, perhaps even shaved. She may use whatever tool she desires.

I would follow Rover's advice on the outdoor shubbery, however.

I have an electric black & decker, 21" I believe. It's always been fine for my use. The new house has a hell of a lot of stuff that needs trimming and I just planted 20 hollies, so I'm going to be busy. I would upgrade to a gas trimmer but I don't see the benefit. It's just time consuming regardless of the trimmer, IMO.

I have a sh*tload of small to medium sized trees and overgrown privets and whatnot that I need to take out, and for that I bought a Homelite electric chain saw, thinking I could save a few bucks. The thing literally fell apart in my hands after 5 minutes of using it. The chain flew off, along with the thing that sticks out that the chain rides on. That reminds me, I need to visit my neighbor in the hospital today.

Corded yard tools are for homos and Matt770. NTTAWWT.

I'd highly endorse the gas powered Stihl hedge trimmer. Things got a big set of balls and runs efficiently and reliably. I've had mine for almost 10 years and have never had a problem with it. It is a bit heavy, but for a bug guy like yourself you should have no problems.

Corded yard tools are for homos and Matt770. NTTAWWT.

I'd highly endorse the gas powered Stihl hedge trimmer. Things got a big set of balls and runs efficiently and reliably. I've had mine for almost 10 years and have never had a problem with it. It is a bit heavy, but for a bug guy like yourself you should have no problems.

Don't get me wrong, if i were single I'd be out there with the biggest gas trimmer they make, with no shirt on, shades, demin cutoffs and work boots. Then just watch the soccer moms crashing into each other as they go jogging by.

The Stihl Kombisystem is one of the things I am looking at, as well as the Echo PAS. If I were buying individual tools then I will be looking at those company's hedge trimmer and edger tools. Enough feedback here to sway me off of electric. It was a momentary weakness (although let me tell you....the Stihl electric hedge trimmers are beefy).

I just have to decide if it's worth the extra money to buy the multi-tool or not. Part of the decision is in the utility of the multi-tool hedge trimmer versus a traditional hedge trimmer (the traditional one seems like it would be easier to use), and also in that if I get the multi-tool I can get a pruner and an extension. And then I have to figure out what the costs are of each choice.

:wacko:

I made the mistake a few years back of buying an electric Josh Gordon whacker on sale. I don't have too many mean looking areas, so I thought the little guy would get me by. Three 100 foot extension cords and three month-long repairs later, I realized I should have bit the bullet and got the big, burly gas whacker. Not sure that it correlates exactly with a trimmer, but it is kinda in the ballpark.