[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Comfortable Winter Boots

Brentastic

I'm looking for suggestions for the most comfortable boot to wear during winter. I live in Chicago and I'd be wearing these to work. In non-winter months I wear sneakers to work. So I'm looking for comfort first and also a boot that has good traction on snowy and icey sidewalks. Warmth is not as much a consideration since I'm only outside for 10-15 minutes at a time but I will be walking a lot so comfort is a big factor.

Again, comfort, quality and great traction. If you got a good recommendation, please share.

I've spent the last several hours scouring the interwebs. Looking at Red Wings, Timberlands, Quoddy, Birkenstock Footprints, Blundstone, Merrel, Ecco and Vasque Sundowner. As of now, I'm going to focus on the Red Wings - the style, comfort and price most closely match what I'm looking for.

Didn't see the Irish Setters - will take a look.

Do you need boots if you are only outside for 10-15 minutes? I would think some good high tops with extra socks would work fine.

My best current boots are Rocky brand w/2000 gram Thinsultate - way too much for anything but ice fishing and deer stands.

Do you need boots if you are only outside for 10-15 minutes? I would think some good high tops with extra socks would work fine.

My best current boots are Rocky brand w/2000 gram Thinsultate - way too much for anything but ice fishing and deer stands.

Yes, because I'm outside several times a day, walking to and from the train, walking around downtown during lunch break etc... and sneakers are never good enough for traction.

I'm going to go check out some Irish Setters and Red Wings as those seem to match what I'm looking for.

In the past I've just bought some cheapy payless Rockies style mountain/snow boots but I think I've moved on from that and really just want a good solid boot that will last for 5 years or more.

Thanks people.

Yes, because I'm outside several times a day, walking to and from the train, walking around downtown during lunch break etc... and sneakers are never good enough for traction.

I'm going to go check out some Irish Setters and Red Wings as those seem to match what I'm looking for.

In the past I've just bought some cheapy payless Rockies style mountain/snow boots but I think I've moved on from that and really just want a good solid boot that will last for 5 years or more.

Thanks people.

If you like Red Wing you might as well check out the Carhartt boots as Red Wing manufactures them. Great timing as well as all of our boots are discounted in our "outlet" store online Link as we are moving away from Red Wing in February. I own one pair that I bought years ago and probably wear 15 days a year to shovel snow, etc...they've been great.

Edited by Puddy

Another vote for Danner. I've got a pair I've had for 20 years and they're still warm, dry, and comfy.

:wacko: I was a sales rep for Danner before I retired.

Why don't you just buy some Yaktrax and put them on your shoes when you go out?. I can run down the steepest of hills on sheer ice in those mo-fos and never slip. The other popular thing now is put screws on the bottom of your shoes and create studs on your soles. Yaktrax is more like adding tire chains to your soles, and can be taken on and off.

Why don't you just buy some Yaktrax and put them on your shoes when you go out?. I can run down the steepest of hills on sheer ice in those mo-fos and never slip. The other popular thing now is put screws on the bottom of your shoes and create studs on your soles. Yaktrax is more like adding tire chains to your soles, and can be taken on and off.

I use them ice fishen....

+1

These things are awesome for bad weather. Just dont wear them on wood or vinyl flooring.

I have a pair of vasque boots that I've had for at least 15 years and they are still maybe my favorite pair of shoes that I own. they're more of a "casual" style than a hardcore hiking boot, they don't seem to really make anything like it these days. but they look good enough I can wear to work whenever it's a little cold or icy without looking like I'm going on an artcic expedition. goretex inside, plus I rub the leather with mink oil once a year or so. I've worn these probably 50-ish days per year every year for 15+ years and walked a ton of miles in them, and though the vibram soles don't really grip like they used to, they are still the most comfortable, supportive shoes I own.

my current hiking boots are a pair of zamberlans, and while the red outer makes them a little loud for wearing to work, they are terrific in the snow and ice as well.

to sum up, I'm going to pull a furd here and say unless you want steel-toes or something, buy italian. when it comes to comfort and longevity, they are tops.

I have a pair of vasque boots that I've had for at least 15 years and they are still maybe my favorite pair of shoes that I own. they're more of a "casual" style than a hardcore hiking boot, they don't seem to really make anything like it these days. but they look good enough I can wear to work whenever it's a little cold or icy without looking like I'm going on an artcic expedition. goretex inside, plus I rub the leather with mink oil once a year or so. I've worn these probably 50-ish days per year every year for 15+ years and walked a ton of miles in them, and though the vibram soles don't really grip like they used to, they are still the most comfortable, supportive shoes I own.

my current hiking boots are a pair of zamberlans, and while the red outer makes them a little loud for wearing to work, they are terrific in the snow and ice as well.

to sum up, I'm going to pull a furd here and say unless you want steel-toes or something, buy italian. when it comes to comfort and longevity, they are tops.

Just a bit of advice... mink oil and bees wax are not recommended on modern leather boots anymore because boots are dry tanned now using chromium salts and sulfates. The mink oil can over soften the dry tanned leathers. Wax-based products like bees wax impregnates the leather making the outsoles difficult to replace, if needed, because the bees wax will not bond to the fresh adhesive. Stay away from petroleum based waterproofing like Tectron. It will actually delam your outsoles--happened to me and if I didn't have duct tape with me I would have been screwed in the backcountry, as both mine and hubby's boots' outsoles delaminated on both the right and left. Most boots have cemented outsoles these days and the petroleum eats the adhesive. You can be ultra careful and not get any of the product on the outsole but hard to do and still get the leather proofed down by the sole of the boot where most needed. More expensive boots will have stitched outsoles but still adhesives are used, but not as much. Also you don't want to be spraying that Chit in a closed room and breathing it--read the warnings on the label, it can cause lung damage.

The best products to use to recondition and re-waterproof your boots are Granger and Nikwax products because they are water based solvents. They are environmentally safe as well. These products are a must on G-tex boots because your mink oils and bees wax clog the pores of the leather, so you just spent extra bucks for breathable boots and you just clogged the pores of the membrane with the oil and or wax.