[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you give cash as a gift?

MojoMan

In your family/circle of friends, is giving money crass/unacceptable?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What about reciprocity?

• Tit for tat
    • As long as there is a token gift returned, that's good enough
    • All you need to do is acknowledge the gift
    • No gift needs to be returned; nor is an acknowledgement of that the gift was received
    • Puddy

This here article http://www.slate.com/articles/business/mon...ft_giving_.html

says that money is the most economically efficient gift.I think that for everyone but kids, cash is the best gift.

However, I know that some people consider money as a gift crass or thoughtless.

What say ye?

Also, this article says that gift giving opportunities are a good time to "redistribute" wealth in a family a little (example grandparents and parents giving more to the youger generations than they reciprocate). Fortunately for me, I am usually in the position of being the distributor, not the distributee. However, I think the distributee should return a token gift and acknowledge the gift.

What say ye?

ETA: Daggone, I thought I had a poll question that asked whether you think giving money is crass/thoughtless.

Edited by MojoMan

We have some teenagers in the family that flat out refuse to say what they want as a gift and only request cash. It sucks because its absolutely no fun to watch someone receive cash, but we do it. We don't get anything in return except for a thank you. If we didn't receive a thank you, I don't know if we would continue giving it or not to be honest with you. We would probably keep giving it, but would use passive aggressive shame techniques on their parents.

For teens or similar, sadly, this is where they are at and frankly I'm OK with it despite not liking the principle of such an impersonal gift. I'd rather that than trying to guess what they want (few ideas are ever given) and odds are whiffing. And it is what they want and then they can get whatever they really do want. Face it in this day and age the excited fun of opening presents (except for the very young) is waning. Sad but seems to be reality. I think part of it is many/most kids just have way too much damned stuff nowdays, even those who are middle or lower-middle class. It all becomes a blur and a big yawn. What's one more video game when you already have 20?

It's interesting and, frankly makes me wonder what the point is any more. It got to the point where family, like my step-mother, were so specific in what they wanted and wanted me to do the same that it stopped feeling like a gift any more. "Go get me this. Then ship it all the way across the country." I basically put a halt to it and said I really didn't want anything. If they wanted to donate some money to a charity in my name, I'd be happy to do the same, but I wasn't going to go to Amazon and buy them a toaster because that's what they wanted and then tell them to get me a coffee maker because I needed a new one. It seemed stupid. If I need a coffee maker, I'll go get myself a coffee maker.

Now, we don't have any kids or young relatives to shop for, so there's that. I could see giving people younger than you some cash, but I think if it got to the point where I was just exchanging cash with people, then I think the whole gift-giving charade is over.

Now that we've started canning as much as we do from our garden, that's basically what everyone gets. This year, my wife found a very interesting book and sent everyone a copy as well.

For employees, it's either a bottle of wine or cash.

Edited by detlef

detlef....agree with what is the point but, to my way of thinking....giving the gift at least shows that you thought of the person and, with my money needing relatives...is definitely appreciated.

I get it and would certainly hook up any nieces and nephews with cash if I had them. I've seen friends try to be the "cool" uncle and give the youngins' something that they think they would have dug at their age. Problem is, they're thinking about from the standpoint of a 40 something year old and if he was 17 knowing what he knows now sort of deal. Unless you're really close to the kid, you're probably going to swing and miss and may as well slide the kid some cash.

I lose this argument every year in my house, but I've come to resent the whole exchange of gifts tradition. In my mind, some toys for your own children, a thoughtful gift or two for your SO and adult kids, maybe one for immediate family or someone special (preferably crafted), and thats it. This idea of smothering kids with junk and exchanging gifts with other peoples kids, folks at work, etc - its stupid i tell ya. We invariably end up with a bunch of crap we don't want or need, and I know most people don't have the money to buy this stuff. I'll never understand the urge to exchange money with other's kids, family members, etc. If you want to give someone money, give it to those in need.

Each of our kids get three gifts each -- a need, a want and a 'good to have'. Christ got three (a need (myrrh, a burial resin), a want (frankensense, a good general purpose antiseptic) and a 'good to have' (gold)), our kids don't need more gifts than He received.

Each of our kids draw names for their cousins. We do one present for my parents and one for my wifes parents. None for our siblings. My wife and I will exchange one or two small gifts that are generally of the "need" variety that are pretty well advertised ahead of time (i.e., I'm getting a new pair of waterproof work boots and my wife is getting a longer winter coat that will keep her butt warm when walking around outside).

Each of our kids get three gifts each -- a need, a want and a 'good to have'. Christ got three (a need (myrrh, a burial resin), a want (frankensense, a good general purpose antiseptic) and a 'good to have' (gold)), our kids don't need more gifts than He received.

Neat way to look at it.

I always do a lot of baking around the holidays, and always give my employees, neighbors, and the kids teachers something.

Outside of wife, kids, and neices /nephews, it is something small and specific. I do not have teenage relatives to deal with yet . .

A lot of my family & kids teachers get the same. My wife spent two days this year baking various treats and packaging them up in nice containers. I almost never give cash, but I will give a gift card now and then.

Edited by rajncajn

cash never, but I dont mind gift cards, especially for clothes. now my brother is very lazy and he gives me and scooby amex cards, but that is ok b/c we use them on clothes.

Now, if you are my six yr old, he collects money and keeps it. He likes to have every denomination he can get, although he did not keep his Franklin very long

But probably far more common than any of us would care to think. As I say, kids simply get way too much stuff and it's all a yawn to them, many simply don't appreciate it. Not saying it's their fault per se. Most of us really are just way too steeped in or wrapped up in "stuff."

We give a lot of gift cards, but never actual cash.

This.

I love getting gift cards, they allow you to buy stuff you would maybe balk at with your own money but they aren't tacky like money is (perceived to be). Hugh variety, including restaurants, online like iTunes, Amazon and stuff, I think they are way cool.