[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tae Kwon Do

millerx

Recently, My 9 yr old daughter took her first class in Tae Kwon Do. She is excited to go to class as much as she can now and seems to love it! We try to give as many experiences as she can get, but I've always thought about the more traditional outlets such as sports, girl scouts, etc. She's always been a little tentative when it comes to those other ventures even though she's still in them today. I'm hoping what she learns in Tae kwon Do will give her a little more confidence in herself and draw her out of her shell a little more. I've heard that the Martial Arts can have that effect, but would like to hear from any of you that have more experience with it in general and in kids specifically.

Also, what can I expect going forward? How involved does it get? I heard it can become expensive? Is that they case? Honestly, as I said before, I grew up in the more traditional outlets and would like to know more about the world by daughter finds so captivating.

Thanks.

Edited by millerx

I started a thread about which M.A. makes the most sense for kids (even parents) in a practical sense. Tae Kwon Do didn't get any love, as it doesn't from most M.A. students. However, I spoke with a family friend who has been doing M.A. for 40+ years and while he agreed that TKD may not make you the baddest ass initially, he did say it's great for kids because it is more fun. He then went on to say that guys who reach the black belt level in TKD can hold their own against all other trained M.A.s. Basically it seems like the intermediate belts might not provide the best use for real life self defense, but if you continue through you'll get there and it's still great for kids because they remain interested because it's more fun than a more serious M.A.

Take all of that fwiw.

Westerners = just getting a black belt is considered an accomplishment.

Easterners = higher degrees of black belt is an accomplishment.

Just getting a black belt is knowing and performing all the basic (and some advanced) moves on command. It's the degree of black belt that shows how well you understand the art behind the physical moves, both subtle and overt meanings.

It costs for the uniform, instruction fees, testing for belts, and protective gear as she grows into it.

Get your child in TKD even if they only need to know how to kick an attacker in the privates. It's worth some classes if they just learn how to fall/roll safely. They will learn discipline, compassion, self confidence, how to defend themselves, and increase social interaction. They can learn multiple sets of "forms" that can be used as part of any workout program during their lifetime. It's a fun, yet physical/mental/spiritual MA.

I'm pretty sure that most parents who put their young kids in martial arts aren't looking to teach them how to kick some ass, get a scholarship or become an Olympic athlete. Riff sounds like he has the right answer. At that age it's more about teaching them good values and the social interaction. If it's something your kid loves to do then it's perfect.

I thing people are very caught up in bone breaking MMA disciplines these days and I feel something has been lost in martial arts. Not talking about Polk or double agent or any MMA guys we have here but just in general Its all about choking out and submitting and all of that. As far as your daughter goes TKD seems just fine to me. It requires great flexibility and the kicks are pretty impressive when you get them down. I think it will be great exercise for her and she will learn to defend herself. She may not be arm barring any time soon but I dont think that will bother her, or you

edit to add: By no means am I am authority on any of this. i took TKD many years ago and only for a year or so. A guy like Grits can probably give you some good insight on this topic.

Edited by whomper

I think it is great for kids. My son who is 16 now has his black belt and started at 9 years old. He retired at 12 I think to focus on Baseball. He has several trophies from tournaments and the discipline he learned pays benefits today.

My younger son is a red belt now and still involved. His academy is not as serious and he is not the real athletic type like his older brother but loves it nonetheless without doing all the tournament action.

Both are very capable of defending themselves due to the sport.

While expensive, we felt it was worth the investment.

I'm pretty sure that most parents who put their young kids in martial arts aren't looking to teach them how to kick some ass, get a scholarship or become an Olympic athlete. Riff sounds like he has the right answer. At that age it's more about teaching them good values and the social interaction. If it's something your kid loves to do then it's perfect.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't want the added benefit of self defense. It makes no sense to me.

I think it is a great thing for younger kids in almost all aspects - exercise, social setting, discipline, confidence, etc. There are a lot of "belt mills" out there that cater to getting little Johnny into the program but for the most part a year or two of MA never hurts a kid IMO and pretty much is always a positive experience.

I think it is a great thing for younger kids in almost all aspects - exercise, social setting, discipline, confidence, etc. There are a lot of "belt mills" out there that cater to getting little Johnny into the program but for the most part a year or two of MA never hurts a kid IMO and pretty much is always a positive experience.

We have a lot of kids leave our school because the promotions take so long. Yu literally can't be a black belt until you are 16 regardless of skill level. Our school has had several tkd black belts show up for a class or two but they can't handle getting beat down by a BJJ white belt. Its similar in adults as well. We've had several adults complain about it and I believe they were promoted to early. Asa white belt I made one blue belt soil himself and the other throw up in his mouth. Kids need to be taught that advancement in martial arts has really nothing to do with the color of their belt. It should be viewed as a war with yourself to improve.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't want the added benefit of self defense. It makes no sense to me.

I see it as just that, an added benefit. At that age I think the most important aspects are the one's that Riff, Whomper & I mentioned. Social interaction, discipline, responsibility, physical activity. There are many different activities your kids can get involved in & each one of them have many of those same benefits. Each one also teaches them a specific skill; dance, scouts, sports, gymnastics etc. Most parents don't put their kids in any of those expecting their child to master it, ie become a professional. I think what's most important is finding one that your child enjoys to help them develop into healthy well-adjusted adults. If it turns out that they like it enough and are good enough to develop that individualized skill into something more then that's great too. If not then they still got something great out of it.

Edited by rajncajn

TKD is great for kids. I won't go as far as Polk on the self-defense thing but we do have a lot of TKD black belts that come in and get destroyed by BJJ blue belts. But I do think TKD can be very beneficial for kids and is way less expensive than BJJ.

That being said...when old enough my kids will train BJJ and Muay Thai. But anything that keeps them active and adds discipline and confidence is a benefit. TKD does that from what I've seen.

Any style Martial Arts is good to learn. I didn't think this was a "which is best for whatever reason" session. The OP asked specifically about TKD.

For a future in Mixed Martial Arts, I would suggest plain old wrestling as the original base. From that move to some BJJ for the ground game, Muay Thai KB for the stand up, Aikido/Judo for center of balance/take them to the ground phase, and top it all off with jab lessons from a boxer.

TKD is great for kids. I won't go as far as Polk on the self-defense thing but we do have a lot of TKD black belts that come in and get destroyed by BJJ blue belts. But I do think TKD can be very beneficial for kids and is way less expensive than BJJ.

That being said...when old enough my kids will train BJJ and Muay Thai. But anything that keeps them active and adds discipline and confidence is a benefit. TKD does that from what I've seen.

My point is that within 3-6 months a 125 lb woman can be taught to break the arm of a 250lb man. Having my daughter being able to prevent a rape is worth infinitely more than being able to kick paper targets at various heights and get a slap on the back and a new belt.

I thought the reason was his 9 yo daughter? The age restriction on many techniques (eg. choke, joint manipulation) means that some arts are better for kids than others.

Since there are no age restrictions in BJJ I assume thats another plus? Ok we don't let them heel hook but everything else is fair game.

My point is that within 3-6 months a 125 lb woman can be taught to break the arm of a 250lb man. Having my daughter being able to prevent a rape is worth infinitely more than being able to kick paper targets at various heights and get a slap on the back and a new belt.

Agree completely.

Thanks everyone for all the insight. I'm still listening and taking notes. Originally I was looking more at the points that riff, whomp, and DD were giving, but I'm finding value in all of it. So please keep it up and anyone who has had their kids go through it, let me know your personal experiences.

Thanks everyone for all the insight. I'm still listening and taking notes. Originally I was looking more at the points that riff, whomp, and DD were giving, but I'm finding value in all of it. So please keep it up and anyone who has had their kids go through it, let me know your personal experiences.

It just depends on what you want. There is nothing wrong with Karate, TKD, or even Aikido. They keep your kid occupied and workin toward goals Through these goals your kid also develops discipline. However if she were to do some of the other arts she can develop self defense skills that might one day save her life. Another advantage of what people call "Combat Sports" is that they develop confidence. A friend once told me that when you can drag the bully around by his ear he is no longer the bully. Its easy to be confident in a world without bullies.

It just depends on what you want. There is nothing wrong with Karate, TKD, or even Aikido. They keep your kid occupied and workin toward goals Through these goals your kid also develops discipline. However if she were to do some of the other arts she can develop self defense skills that might one day save her life. Another advantage of what people call "Combat Sports" is that they develop confidence. A friend once told me that when you can drag the bully around by his ear he is no longer the bully. Its easy to be confident in a world without bullies.

To this point, how easy/ or hard is it to switch disciplines later in your development? Say she starts out in TKD for a few years, would it be easy to switch to something else or would it be best to keep with TKD because of the progress already made?