[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vancouver here I come!

tazinib1

Really? So you're going to tell them at the border you are going into the country to work for cash?

I don't believe you. Sorry. :wacko:

I don't work in production. Not really sure what my boss is going to say...never worked out of the country before. And thats ok if you don't believe me :tup: All I know is I, along with the rest of the G/E crew, were told to have passports ready. I'll be driving in with the Gaffer. Not really sure why you are always so down on me TBH. To each his own I guess.

Edited by tazinib1

I don't work in production. Not really sure what my boss is going to say...never worked out of the country before. And thats ok if you don't believe me :wacko: All I know is I, along with the rest of the G/E crew, were told to have passports ready. I'll be driving in with the Gaffer. Not really sure why you are always so down on me TBH. To each his own I guess.

Not down on you. I'll simply respectfully submit that you haven't been given all the info. Production or not, you won't be telling the guy at the border you're going into Canada to work for cash and avoid paying Canadian taxes - which is simply what you're describing. If I were you I'd ask questions, since you don't want to get pulled from the gaffer's car at the border. But really, this doesn't sound like permission - and I speak from experience (but not in Canada) where I wasn't 'coached' properly. Good luck.

I was a bit concerned when I read these "permission" posts so I emailed my Production Co-Ordinator and she sent me back this:

Michael,

I understand your concern. We have everything under control. To ease your concern, I will paste the following:

"An employee of a foreign news company does not need a work permit to report on events in Canada. This applies to:

News reporters and their crews,

Film or media crews who are not entering the Canadian Labour Market,

Journalists working for a print, broadcast, or internet news service provider (journals, newspapers, magazines, TV shows, etc.) if the company they work for is not Canadian,

Resident correspondents,

Managerial and clerical personnel provided the event is short-term (6 months or less)."

The rest of the email was lodging information and other stuff but it seems we do not need official permission? At any rate, I'm just following what production and the Gaffer are telling me to do.

Now you guys are making me nervous.

Not down on you. I'll simply respectfully submit that you haven't been given all the info. Production or not, you won't be telling the guy at the border you're going into Canada to work for cash and avoid paying Canadian taxes - which is simply what you're describing. If I were you I'd ask questions, since you don't want to get pulled from the gaffer's car at the border. But really, this doesn't sound like permission - and I speak from experience (but not in Canada) where I wasn't 'coached' properly. Good luck.

I will definitely get coached on what to say if indeed I'm questioned. But I will most definitely not say I'm working for cash. And thanks for the good luck..this is a pretty big gig for me. 50 shooting days....definitely my biggest shooting day movie to date.

Edited by tazinib1

I was a bit concerned when I read these "permission" posts so I emailed my Production Co-Ordinator and she sent me back this:

Michael,

I understand your concern. We have everything under control. To ease your concern, I will paste the following:

"An employee of a foreign news company does not need a work permit to report on events in Canada. This applies to:

News reporters and their crews,

Film or media crews who are not entering the Canadian Labour Market,

Journalists working for a print, broadcast, or internet news service provider (journals, newspapers, magazines, TV shows, etc.) if the company they work for is not Canadian,

Resident correspondents,

Managerial and clerical personnel provided the event is short-term (6 months or less)."

The rest of the email was lodging information and other stuff but it seems we do not need official permission? At any rate, I'm just following what production and the Gaffer are telling me to do.

Now you guys are making me nervous.

So you're part of a reporting crew? Much different from my experience, and makes sense. Now about that DUI... :wacko:

So you're part of a reporting crew? Much different from my experience, and makes sense. Now about that DUI... :wacko:

That has me worried as well. I've been told there is a waiver at the border that I can sign promising not to drive that will get me across if I'm pulled out. Other than that, I'll be swimming across the St.Clair River in Detroit.

Man I'm getting worried now instead of excited. Just got off the phone with my Gaffer and he gave me a run down on what and what not to do as we roll up. He has all the info needed for us to have a smooth crossing. I must admit, even though its been explained to me theie are avenues for me to cross even having a past DUI, the stories I'm reading on the internet about Canada crossing nightmares has me freaking out now.

I had a great bachelor party in Vancouver and remember seeing the Penthouse playmate of the year in one of those clubs.

Flew out for a buddies bachelor party a few years ago and it was one of the greatest weekends EVER! I fell in love 3-4 times at least that I can remember. Needless to say I am no longer allowed to go on out-of-state bachelor parties anymore. :wacko:

That has me worried as well. I've been told there is a waiver at the border that I can sign promising not to drive that will get me across if I'm pulled out. Other than that, I'll be swimming across the St.Clair River in Detroit.

Do NOT, do NOT tell them about a DUI!

Thier data base doesn't know. If you TELL them you had a DWI arrest in the states, they will bar you from entering the country.... but they cannot ascertain, nor do they have the data base that would tell them you had one in the US.

I made the mistake of being honest about a DWI that was almost 20 years previous, and to this day, I cannot enter Canada. If I had just lied.... no problem. I was detained and deported for a DWI I admitted to that happened almost 20 years previous to my "interview".

Since that episode, I have never purchased another Canadian produced product. I spit upon their doorstep. I urinate on their maple leaf. I hate Canada.

When they tossed me out of their little french country, I wasted two days at their NYC embassy trying to get my "undesirable staus" changed, and just sat in a waiting room, never got to see an "interviewer". Molson beer sucks anyway. Fork em.

Man I'm getting worried now instead of excited. Just got off the phone with my Gaffer and he gave me a run down on what and what not to do as we roll up. He has all the info needed for us to have a smooth crossing. I must admit, even though its been explained to me theie are avenues for me to cross even having a past DUI, the stories I'm reading on the internet about Canada crossing nightmares has me freaking out now.

I wouldn't chance it by going through a border checkpoint. There are vast areas of the border that are not heavily patrolled. I would just slip across that way and meet the rest of your coworkers at an agreed spot on the other side. If someone stops you, just say you and your buddies were playing a pickup game of baseball and you hit a home run and they made you go look for the ball.

I wouldn't chance it by going through a border checkpoint. There are vast areas of the border that are not heavily patrolled. I would just slip across that way and meet the rest of your coworkers at an agreed spot on the other side. If someone stops you, just say you and your buddies were playing a pickup game of baseball and you hit a home run and they made you go look for the ball.

Use a hockey reference instead of baseball and you're in.

You are screwed. One mounted border patrol agent on a power trip, and you will be off to Canadian prison where they like to hide back bacon in your tuque. Just keep your head down and if anyone asks, tell them you are a Mexican who got lost on a fishing trip.

Thier data base doesn't know. If you TELL them you had a DWI arrest in the states, they will bar you from entering the country.... but they cannot ascertain, nor do they have the data base that would tell them you had one in the US.

I'm not so sure about this.

+ a lot. And I deal with people going in to Kanaduh frequently. Not trying to be an alarmist, but I'd be sure to get some FACTS before you decide how you will handle the situation. It probably won't be found out/brought up, but if it does, it would behoove you to have a well-informed response.

I am.... at least as it was over a decade ago. Additionally, they don't run you through the computer system unless you answer a question wrong, like I did. They ask you questions.... if there are no red flags, you go through. You just say you have never been arrested for anything. I was stupidly honest, thinking a 20 year old DWI would not be an issue. It was. If I had lied.... never would have had a problem with the Canucks. They never would have known.

Taz... lie. Just lie. Yer good. Just lie.Even if you have to say those teeth are your own.

You people never drive into Canada do you?

They will ask you the purpose of your visit, they'll ask you where you're staying, how long you're staying for, and some other questions that take enough time to adequately suss out any potential of having guns, explosives, or drugs in your car. If you have a DUI, they will not know then and there, and they will not attempt to verify this information except in an extreme circumstance after you've been detained and your passports confiscated.

Answer the questions truthfully and to the best of your ability and you will be fine. There's no reason you need to bring up qualifications of employment or past legal issues with a Canadian customs official, who are generally friendly and personable, unlike their jackbooted counterparts coming back into the country who have a look about them like they're waiting for any excuse to bust open the bridge of your nose with the butt-end of their pistols.

Edited by godtomsatan

You people never drive into Canada do you?

They will ask you the purpose of your visit, they'll ask you where you're staying, how long you're staying for, and some other questions that take enough time to adequately suss out any potential of having guns, explosives, or drugs in your car. If you have a DUI, they will not know then and there, and they will not attempt to verify this information except in an extreme circumstance after you've been detained and your passports confiscated.

Answer the questions truthfully and to the best of your ability and you will be fine. There's no reason you need to bring up qualifications of employment or past legal issues with a Canadian customs official, who are generally friendly and personable, unlike their jackbooted counterparts coming back into the country who have a look about them like they're waiting for any excuse to bust open the bridge of your nose with the butt-end of their pistols.

Thats what everybody is telling me. Glad I'm not a profuse sweater :wacko:

BTW: Towards the end of the shoot, we will have a 3 day location at the Embarcadero in Seattle. Be the perfect time to get together with some Seattle Huddlers.

I made the mistake of being honest about a DWI that was almost 20 years previous, and to this day, I cannot enter Canada. If I had just lied.... no problem. I was detained and deported for a DWI I admitted to that happened almost 20 years previous to my "interview".

Since that episode, I have never purchased another Canadian produced product. I spit upon their doorstep. I urinate on their maple leaf. I hate Canada.

When they tossed me out of their little french country, I wasted two days at their NYC embassy trying to get my "undesirable staus" changed, and just sat in a waiting room, never got to see an "interviewer". Molson beer sucks anyway. Fork em.