[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Start Bench Tool Question

Patriots

Also appreciate the effort to bring us something new but I would really like if it went back to the way it was...if it ain't broke don't fix it!

That was the problem - according to everything we were told on the survey it was broken. We as a site was not helping people make a decision when we grouped all players into three generic buckets that had nothing to do with league size, league scoring, etc. So we increased the per player writeups, had one voice that people wanted to hear instead of conflicting advice, and went to more refined and helpful projections and rankings instead of the three bucket codes. The old way was considered a problem.

I still don't get why you call it a "Start Bench" tool when you are providing player projections and rankings.

I've wondered the same thing, this is essentially the player projections, with additional write-ups (player analysis) and a different way of presenting the data and selecting which players to show. (Player projections show all, with your tracked players highlighted, while start/bench tool allows you to show only the players you are tracking.) Both of them have the same data (projections) and

I think the problem some are having is they look at start bench tool as a replacement for the S/B list, and the primary thing they got from that was the S1/S2 rankings. Maybe the name alone (related to old S/B list) is misleading.

Yes I get that it helps us decide on start bench, but so does every other piece of information (projections, game predictions, ROS rankings, etc.). People see S/B tool, think S/B list, and it is totally different, and really not much different (aside from player analysis and filters and presentation) than the player projections.

I will continue to use the info and see how it works for me. Haven't done much this week to look at my roster and S/B options. I appreciate the effort of the staff to improve things based on user feedback. (I do wish I had seen and responded to the survey myself.) Change is always difficult, especially if things you like and used are changed/remove.

Also appreciate you being here to answer questions and explain why things were done.

Edited by stevegrab

Because it is to help you decide who to start and who to bench, particularly when it shows you only your own team (when set).

Well, virtually all of the content that you provide once the season starts helps the reader to decide who to start and who to bench.

I guess that one man's sortable player projections is another man's "start bench tool." You say tomato . .

My issue with this is that the ranking of the players is so dependent on who you give the touchdowns to, which is a difficult exercise to say the least. As has been discussed on this board many times before, when you have Rod Streater outscoring Vincent Jackson because Streater was given a TD and Jackson wasn't - are you really recommending benching Jackson for Streater? Not really sure, but I have always felt that the qualitative ranking of players into tiers like S1, S2, etc., made more sense (or perhaps, like other sites, awarding fractional TDs so that you don't create a 6-point swing between two players based solely on who you award the TDs to). Perhaps we just needed to add more tiers to improve the differentiation between players.

Having said that, I do appreciate the constant effort to refine and improve. And I must admit that I did not see or participate in the survey, and I do feel a bit sheepish being critical of the end product when I had every opportunity to be a part of the process and di not do so.

See here was the problem - guys like Streater and Jackson would probably both be S2 so that was not helpful to people. The player write-ups are bigger than the one-liners that used to exist. The confidence factor is something to consider as well. We are also making up a one sheet look which is effectively the old start bench by tiering out the various "codes" for players which will be up later today and gets you not only back to the groupings of players, but you still have the rankings, ability to view just your players, etc.

Starting decisions should always consider both the quantative projections and the qualitative writeups, the confidence factor, the game break down, the updates, etc. That is all there. And for those people who want to just log on and see just their players with projected fantasy points - that is there as well.

You need to take the time and enter your teams players...... Changes the whole aspect of reading the stats... Excellent job Dave... Keep up the great work. I am sure there will be some tweaking here and there. Overall it looks like another job well done. Here's to another great football season.

I noticed when player projectiong for FF pts are used using myhuddle to enter league scoring, it does not add the bonus for attaining 100 yards in the projections.

No biggie, just thought I'd point it out.

Edit: also (and I'm being a little picky here) I'd like it if on the player rankings page the rows were numbered.

Edited by DanTheMan_5

I noticed when player projectiong for FF pts are used using myhuddle to enter league scoring, it does not add the bonus for attaining 100 yards in the projections.

Its a subtle way to tell you that those type of bonuses are going the way of touchdown only leagues.

So theoretically, you could be projecting a very negative outcome, like a subpar staring running back vs. a stud run defense, and because you are very confident in your projection, that RB (projection) is going to get 4 or 5 stars, correct?

:wacko:

So theoretically, you could be projecting a very negative outcome, like a subpar staring running back vs. a stud run defense, and because you are very confident in your projection, that RB (projection) is going to get 4 or 5 stars, correct?

Confidence factor is a measurement of the confidence you should have in it. 5 stats means there is a wealth of reasons and data why he should have that Projection, One star means it is pretty much purely speculative because there is no applicable past data to apply and the situation is largely unknown.

The Confidence Factor(Stars) has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the ranking of the player...it 100% deals with how strongly we feel about the projection...there are all sorts of reasons why you may feel stronger than not on certain projections...the ConFac helps to point out how we feel about the projection we just made...so yes, if a player looks like he is going to be running against a stone wall and he gets projected for 10 yrds rushing it wouldn't surprise me to see a 5 ConFac...now say another team has given up the following rushing yards each week: 30, 180, 42, 211, 194, 35, 51, 165, ...and say it has been an even mix of studs that did well and poor....and no names that did well and poor...that projection for the RB is probably not going to have a strong ConFac...and then there are times that you can actually look at a game and see it breaking one way or another....say you have to project a top WR against one of the worst pass Ds but his QB is questionable...and the backup doesn't have much experience...I'll bet the ConFac won't be very high for that WRs projection....those are just a few strong examples but there are many subtleties that go into things and can influence just how confident we are in particular projections...for the most part all of my IDP projections were 2 star ConFacs....I was actually asked if I understood how the ConFac was supposed to work, to which I replied yes...the thing is, in the first couple of weeks you really don't know what you are going to get on the defensive side of the ball...you can base things off historical info, but that doesn't mean things just repeat...after 2 weeks, I will have much stronger ConFacs

Confidence factor is a measurement of the confidence you should have in it. 5 stats means there is a wealth of reasons and data why he should have that Projection, One star means it is pretty much purely speculative because there is no applicable past data to apply and the situation is largely unknown.

said in 3 lines what I needed 75 to say it with. Edited by keggerz

This might help people to understand it a bit better too:

You are in a 1 week picks contest(straight up) and I tell you the game you have to pick is:

Carolina @ TB

You enter the same week's contest under a different user name and the game you get to pick the winner from is:

Miami @ Houston

If I asked you to rate each pick on how confident you were that you would be right my guess is that you would be much more confident on the Miami @ Houston game

i actually appreciated the longer explanation as i was having a hard time understanding that and it makes more sense to me now.

well then glad I posted it...I had it all typed and out and almost deleted it because I thought it was a bit to rambling.

I don't see what is wacko about that.

So that's a "yes"

I don't see what is wacko about that.

Then let me explain it to you...I'll type slowly..

The wacko is the apparent paradox that while the projection is getting 5 stars because of the confidence in it, the actual projection itself could be negative.

See... in most cases a 5 star projection represents a positive.....like a movie or a restaurant.

In this case a 5 star could represent a negative....but could represent a positive....it has nothing to do with the value of the projection, just the confidence in that projection...as I'm understanding it........never mind...

Then let me explain it to you...I'll type slowly..

The wacko is the apparent paradox that while the projection is getting 5 stars because of the confidence in it, the actual projection itself could be negative.

See... in most cases a 5 star projection represents a positive.....like a movie or a restaurant.

In this case a 5 star could represent a negative....but could represent a positive....it has nothing to do with the value of the projection, just the confidence in that projection...as I'm understanding it........never mind...

You should explain it even slower to yourself the next time because you clearly don't get it. There is no paradox in a 5-star confidence rating for a low projection, hell the two aren't even related. Why you would think that in the frst place is puzzling, but is probably explained by you inability to grasp it even after numerous in-depth explanations.

The confidence rating for a projection is a qualitative measure of the variance of said projection. You will have to decide your own personal trade off between the two, and then pick the player you prefer. Now go repeat that very slowly to yourself multiple times or just ignore the confidence rating all together. Call it a hunch but I guess you will pick the second option.