[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Replacement officials

STL Fan

Almost more important than learning the rules these officials need to call a few penalties on the bench and toss players for pushing the refs around piles. They have no control. I've seen coaches yards out onto the field following half the plays. I've seen players bump and pull at officials around piles and after calls. I've seen 30 players from a team on the field at a time during disputes.

It is going to suck for the team that gets made an example of, but it is coming or things are going to get bad.

You are being silly. Nobody is changing the channel because of the officiating. If anything it is keeping them tuned in so they can monitor the controversy - we all love a controversy.

that is a good point, and delimiting the data to prove my rant is more effort than I'm willing to exude. But would you as a rabid fan agree the viewing experience has been noticeably different this year? And if so what would you attribute that to; the announcers making note of the replacement officials, or your observation of such?

I was in the "hey, it's not like the regular guys are perfect either" camp and just figured we were trying too hard to find fault with the replacements. But not any more. Last night was horrible and Sunday night was no better.

Mind you, like Steve Young says, the demand is inelastic and they know it's going to have to get much, much worse to actually cost them eyeballs and dollars.

I thought Steve Young was dead-on. About the NFL not really caring about safety, and about the fact that the NFL doesn't care about the quality of the game because they know we'll watch anyway. Smart dude.

I thought Steve Young was dead-on. About the NFL not really caring about safety, and about the fact that the NFL doesn't care about the quality of the game because they know we'll watch anyway. Smart dude.

He may be right but he was coming across like a dick, shouting others down repeatedly.

Like the other guy said (missed who he was, on the right end of the table set after game) this is a labor dispute, and many things are involved. People saying that the league doesn't care about safety, or isn't worried fans will turn the game off, what do they expect the NFL to do? Just cave to the demands of the NFLRA? Pay them anything they want because they are an irreplaceable part of the game?

I want the regular refs back, but I think a compromise is needed. Neither side seems willing to do that. Not sure that either has much incentive to at this point. Refs aren't exactly broke since most have real jobs. NFL isn't losing revenue or even ratings that I'm aware of.

Anybody interested in ratings can look here which is a thread on a broadcasting based forum, updated after ratings are known each week, and also has some historical info. Don't think you have to be a member to view the thread.

I hadn't done any reading into the actual owner requirements vs. the regular officials requests. I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere in these forums, but this article does a nice job of summing it all up: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-215_162-57502041/why-are-the-nfl-refs-locked-out-its-all-in-the-game/?pageNum=2&tag=contentMain;contentBody

NFL owners want them to stop being part-time labor and instead work full-time for the league. Sounds great, except they want the refs to eliminate their other sources of income while taking a 16 percent cut in salary. They also want to eliminate their pensions and replace them with 401k plans tied to the stock market. Put simply, the owners line is less pay, less benefits, and if you don't like it we're locking the doors.

First, jobs that are part time AND provide a pension besides maybe the military, and educators are extremely rare especially in the private sector. Well, and NFL players obviously have a pension, but that's different and more understandable for a lot of reasons. I've always heard that NFL official is NOT the regular refs' "real" job (and maybe I'm in the wrong with that statement since only "Hochuli's a lawyer! is all that comes to mind) ... .

I'm also confused at why exactly the owners want the guys to be full-time employees. That is totally a 180 from what is most preferred by employers nowadays, that of preferring contract labor to avoid paying benefits and allow for easier separation when necessary...

So I guess I can see both sides. The owners need to just pay the regular refs a little more and keep them part time. The refs should take the 401K like the other 99% of the world and use their other source of employment to firm up retirement.

That was bad sentence construction on my part. I started out by just putting educators (as they "only" work 9 months and are off 3, of course anyone married to a teacher would disagree) and then went back and added military as another example of pensioned workers. The part time certainly doesn't apply to the military unless you consider stuff like the national guard which is part time until they're called into service. And I'm not 100% sure they get a pension although I believe they do.

I need to stop posting to fantasy football forums during work hours.

So soldiers and teachers are part-time workers?!? ok :shrug:

I don't think that is what they meant. Let's not derail the thread into some political or union debate.

I guess I need to read up on this more as well. I had heard the whole full time refs part, and think it is a good idea. The pensions are a tricky thing, as that could be a large open ended expense for the league. Certainly when compared to contributing to a 401K or other retirement fund, with a small percentage of employee pay (a much more fixed expense).

Not sure I'm buying that the the NFL is asking them to take a 16% pay cut in what the NFL is paying them. Sure regular folks are taking pay cuts or not getting raises, but I doubt that is the case here.

FYI The link provided starts on page 2 of the story, the details of the offers is on page 1 . After reading the article it seems rather slanted with political undertones ("They comprise the right-wing edge of America's super-rich."). Will probably need to look for more balanced reporting or get an equally unbalanced perspective from the NFL/owners. Also this article is several weeks old now (Aug 28).

He may be right but he was coming across like a dick, shouting others down repeatedly.

Like the other guy said (missed who he was, on the right end of the table set after game) this is a labor dispute, and many things are involved. People saying that the league doesn't care about safety, or isn't worried fans will turn the game off, what do they expect the NFL to do? Just cave to the demands of the NFLRA? Pay them anything they want because they are an irreplaceable part of the game?

I want the regular refs back, but I think a compromise is needed. Neither side seems willing to do that. Not sure that either has much incentive to at this point. Refs aren't exactly broke since most have real jobs. NFL isn't losing revenue or even ratings that I'm aware of.

Anybody interested in ratings can look here which is a thread on a broadcasting based forum, updated after ratings are known each week, and also has some historical info. Don't think you have to be a member to view the thread.

I believe the "guy on the right" was Bill Polian, shocking to see him take the owners' side. (Almost as shocking as seeing Steve Young come down on the players' side with his concussion history, I know.)

In the Vikings / Colts game, Luck completed a 7 yard pass to the Vikings 33 with 15 seconds remaining. The Vikings were also offsides, which stopped the clock. The officials told Pagano that if he accepted the penalty, they would spot the ball and wind the clock, allowing the Colts to spike the ball with 4 seconds left and kick a FG as time expired. If he declined the penalty, the clock would not restart, and they would leave some time on the clock after the FG. Pagano gave up the two yards, accepted the penalty, and called the spike play. Except the refs (correctly) wouldn't wind the clock! :lol: The Colts spiked the ball with the clock stopped and then kicked the FG.

Edited by CaptainHook

There's no way this can be true, is there? Or is Shady being shady?

ETA: I never heard about the ref who was called out for being a 'Hawks homer. And my favorite part is the "Update". Oh, OK... as long as the NFL says they're not allowed to play FF, we know they aren't. Good enough for me!

http://profootballta...y-fantasy-team/

LeSean McCoy: Replacement ref said “I need you for my fantasy team”

Posted by Mike Florio on September 18, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT

As the storm rages regarding the replacement officials and the NFL wagons continue to circle tightly, Eagles running back LeSean McCoy has pried open the latest can of worms in this never ending conundrum.

McCoy told 94WIP in Philly that, during Sunday’s win over the Ravens, a replacement official told McCoy, “I need you for my fantasy team.”

While it’s possible that it was said in jest, it’s the latest stain on the overall credibility and integrity of the replacement officials. From the official who is a professional poker player to the official who was pulled from the Saints-Panthers game for being a rabid Saints fan (and posting about it on Facebook) to the official in the Seahawks-Cardinals game who had been getting paid by the Seahawks to officiate at practices, to the influence of fantasy football, the short-time replacements with no year-to-year interest in keeping their jobs are far more likely to be influenced by non-football factors than the locked-out officials.

That’s why the NFL should be concerned that one of the replacement officials (or maybe more) are working with organized crime. If the NFL’s vetting failed to catch fairly obvious issues, what about the problems that someone actually took the time and effort to conceal?

UPDATE 11:40 a.m. ET: NFL spokesman Greg Aiello tells PFT via email that officials are not permitted to play fantasy football.

Edited by lennykravitz2004

There's no way this can be true, is there? Or is Shady being shady?

http://profootballta...y-fantasy-team/

My first thoght was "the regular refs never said anything like that to a player?" Then I read that the NFL says they are not permitted to play fantasy football.

Of course this is Florio and PFT, the National Enquirer of NFL news...

As I've gotten older, the taste for the finer things in life has come along with it. Wine is not wine, beer is not beer, steak is not steak, a suit is not a suit.

This NFL is not the NFL I know. It is an inferior product now, and if this continues much longer, I will stop watching. I won't stop watching the Bears, but I will stop watching at the level I do. The tempo is all wrong in almost every game I've seen, and I feel as though it's semi-pro.

Three and half hour games lose my interest. They are just too slow. I start to channel surf or to walk away from the game to do small errands. I will continue to follow my team's games, but will be watching less of the rest of the games.

Yep, I've done this a few times already which is unusual for me.

Three and half hour games lose my interest. They are just too slow. I start to channel surf or to walk away from the game to do small errands. I will continue to follow my team's games, but will be watching less of the rest of the games.

+1