[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Head coaching candidates...

keggerz

If he was so much of a loss how come he hasn't landed another job already Andy Reid landed one almost straight away Lovie missed out in Buffalo not sure where else he has interviewed

May not be all that great with another team and its players....but with 10 wins it appears he knew how to run Chicago.

I was simply pointing out that noone jumped on him Buffalo had the chance and passed on him for Marrone, Lovie is a solid coach he just can't make any in game adjustments so if the original plan doesn't work then he is screwed.

Compare how long it took Andy Reid to get hired and he was basicaly run out of town in Philly yet everyone was crying abot Lovie getting fired and he is still looking I expect he will get another job but I just don't think we lost a great coach there, a great person maybe but not a great coach.

I heard the lead for the Chicago Coaching job was the Montreal Montreal Alouettes, Trestman is the lead for the job. Great Coach, but it would be sad to lose him in the CFL.

Browns are interviewing him today. I would have liked him years ago after he was our OC, and am intrigued now.

Seems like many teams are looking for new blood, younger assistants, the top college coaches. Not sure why, if they feel that guys like Lovie and Wisenhunt are not capable, or is it more about just doing something different?

Oh and Taz, if SD wants Arians they better get cracking, he is a top candidate and may not wait to interview with every team who is interested. I think him as HC in CLE, keep Jauron as DC would be great.

\

Oh and Taz, if SD wants Arians they better get cracking, he is a top candidate and may not wait to interview with every team who is interested. I think him as HC in CLE, keep Jauron as DC would be great.

we have to hire a GM first. but Arians is #1 on my list.

we have to hire a GM first. but Arians is #1 on my list.

Browns are doing it the other way, hire a HC first, then the GM. Since we already have new owner, new CEO in Banner and some other guy with a president or similar title. They've been saying they want to hire a GM that will fit well with the HC. I also think depending on how much power the new HC wants, they may be looking at totally diferent types of guys for the GM job.

If you don't get a GM soon you will miss out on Arians and some other top candidates. But then maybe you get the pick of the litter of the top coordinators from the playoff teams.

It's Telesco!! Slam dunk great hire!!!

:headbang:

I'm with you and would like to see Arians get the HC gig. They need to do it fast so he can put together his O-Staff before all the good assistants are picked over. It will be interesting to see who he brings in as his OC.

The one thing I heard in terms of a negative about Arians, is that the players were playing with a "lot of emotion" this year with the whole Chuckstrong motivation and that it wasn't as much him,

I can maybe buy into this the first few games, but at the pro level, it really comes downs to preparation and Xs & Os.

If we do get Arians, it will be a really neat match up with lots of storylines when the Bolts and the Colts meet each other this coming season! :celb:

The one thing I heard in terms of a negative about Arians, is that the players were playing with a "lot of emotion" this year with the whole Chuckstrong motivation and that it wasn't as much him,

I've heard this a few times myself. Then I ask them if they have ever looked at Bruce's resume. As soon as I show them, opinions change very quickly :lol:

Regardless, Telesco is probably the best guy we could have hoped for. He is a master talent evaluator and the years of AJ Smith playing hardball with potential FA's, suspending Pro Bowlers and whiffing in the draft the past few seasons is ... FINALLY...OVER!! It's a new era in Charger football!!!

Edited by tazinib1

I've heard this a few times myself. Then I ask them if they have ever looked at Bruce's resume. As soon as I show them, opinions change very quickly :lol:

Regardless, Telesco is probably the best guy we could have hoped for. He is a master talent evaluator and the years of AJ Smith playing hardball with potential FA's, suspending Pro Bowlers and whiffing in the draft the past few seasons is ... FINALLY...OVER!! It's a new era in Charger football!!!

There's a surprising amount of pessimism about him on the UT message boards (Arians). Apparently, some people are not impressed that he has been an assistant coach for so long and never been given the head coach gig. Also, there seems to be some grumbling about his record as a college coach. Any info you got on the actual record would be great. Thanks Taz.

Congrats on the GM hiring guys. According to what I see, Arians only HC job was at Temple 83-88, his records those years

4-7, 6-5, 4-7, 6-5, 3-8, 4-7 with an * on the 2nd 6-5 where NCAA adjusted record to 0-11 (all 6 wins were forefeited)

http://www.sports-re...schools/temple/

I think Arians will be a good HC. I think the knock that a guy has been an assistant for a long time is kind of silly, as many assistants just don't get a chance due to retread HC candidates. And it isn't like he's been an OC in the NFL for 25-30 years, more like 10.

Edited by stevegrab

There's a surprising amount of pessimism about him on the UT message boards (Arians). Apparently, some people are not impressed that he has been an assistant coach for so long and never been given the head coach gig. Also, there seems to be some grumbling about his record as a college coach. Any info you got on the actual record would be great. Thanks Taz.

This is what I always point people too. His HC career is not desirable but that was 25 years ago. It's what he did after that which is impressive:

At the end of the college football season in 1988, Arians was hired in the NFL as a running backs coach for the Kansas City Chiefs. It was during this time with the Chiefs that he worked with the coach who brought him to the Pittsburgh Steelers, Bill Cowher. He also spent one season as the tight ends coach of the New Orleans Saints. Following this stint was when he made a name for himself when he got the job as the quarterbacks coach of the Indianapolis Colts. He was the first quarterback coach of Peyton Manning when he arrived in the NFL. Afterward, he was hired as offensive coordinator (2001-2003) for the Cleveland Browns under Butch Davis. In 2002 he helped the Browns finish 9-7 (2nd in the newly aligned AFC North) and to a wild card playoff berth where they lost to the Steelers (36-33) in the first round. It was during his tenure with the Browns that he first worked with Chuck Pagano who served as the Browns secondary coach from 2001 to 2004. After the 2003 season he was hired as the Steelers wide receivers coach and in 2007 was promoted to offensive coordinator of the Steelers, a position he held until his contract expired after the 2011 season.[3] On January 28, 2012, Arians agreed to become the offensive coordinator of the Indianapolis Colts, replacing Clyde Christensen.[4] On October 1, 2012, Arians was named the interim head coach of the Colts following coach Chuck Pagano's leukemia diagnosis.[5] Arians led the Colts to a 9-3 record, part of one of the biggest one-season turnarounds in NFL history. The nine wins are the most by an interim head coach in NFL history.[6] After winning only two games in 2011, the Colts returned to the playoffs. Pagano returned to the Colts as head coach on December 24, 2012, with Arians returning to his role as offensive coordinator.[7]

His also helps to point out that he served under Coach Paul "Bear" Brant as RB's coach for 2 seasons.

This is what I always point people too. His HC career is not desirable but that was 25 years ago. It's what he did after that which is impressive:

His also helps to point out that he served under Coach Paul "Bear" Brant as RB's coach for 2 seasons.

I hope this happens! I really don't want a change in the D staff! I also am AGAINST him calling his own plays! Norv's biggest problem was game management while trying to call plays and make adjustments while D was on the field.

AGAIN. It will be very interesting to see who he brings in as the OC.

Heard last night that Arians will be taking a day off to recoup at home (he had been back in the hospital again, I think on Tue/Wed). Then he will start having interviews (they are being scheduled now). First up is Bears, with PHI, SD and CLE also expected to be in the loop. And yes, SD is still the favorite.

Also some talk that Brad Childress (still Browns OC) was talking with Andy Reid about joining his staff, but not as OC, instead some special offensive advisor.

McBoog I agree with HC not also doing the OC duty and calling in plays. Not sure how many do that (Sean Payton is another), and why I was totally shocked that Shurmur (a rooke HC and relative newbie even as OC) did that his first year. IMHO a HC needs to be able to focus on any part of the game at any time, and not be so heavily involved in one side that he cannot manage the game properly. HC is like a CEO, delegate and manage, leave most of the coaching to your assistants.