[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Head coaching candidates...

keggerz

Arians would be a good hire. Playing with emotion only gets you so far. He did a great job with the Colts this year.

However, I don't see him giving up playcalling. He's an offensive coordinator. That's what he does.

Doesn't that go for every OC that becomes a HC? The question is will he be allowed to that when he is hired? It seems that more and more owners/GMs are controlling what the coaches do, instead of just hiring a HC and letting them do what they want (hiring assistants, calling off/def plays, etc.).

Arians would be a good hire. Playing with emotion only gets you so far. He did a great job with the Colts this year.

However, I don't see him giving up playcalling. He's an offensive coordinator. That's what he does.

Who called the plays while he was filling in for Pagano?

Apparently Montreal Alouettes head coach Marc Trestman is heading to Chicago to be the Bears new head coach. This is according to a tweet from Jimmy Johnson at Fox but I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.

It's being rebuffed by all the Bears beat writers and Chicago itself.

In related news, the Chargers are interviewing Lovie Smith today. :scared: I believe Telesco is complying with the Rooney rule here. We don't want Lovie in San Diego.

I'm glad to hear that. I can put the Valium away. :lol:

In related news, the Chargers are interviewing Lovie Smith today. :scared: I believe Telesco is complying with the Rooney rule here. We don't want Lovie in San Diego.

:lol:

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Interesting, most teams take care of the Rooney rule early on, often interviewing somebody that has no shot at actually getting the job. Every year there are 2-3 guys like that, Ray Horton (ARZ DC) was one this year. They may have some real interest in Lovie. You and some other fans may not want him, but you know the owner/GM really don't care about that. (People in CLE were not dancing in the streets for Chudzinski, but what are we going to do.)

Interesting, most teams take care of the Rooney rule early on, often interviewing somebody that has no shot at actually getting the job. Every year there are 2-3 guys like that, Ray Horton (ARZ DC) was one this year. They may have some real interest in Lovie. You and some other fans may not want him, but you know the owner/GM really don't care about that. (People in CLE were not dancing in the streets for Chudzinski, but what are we going to do.)

Well considering Telesco was just hired, they have not really interviewed anybody except Seahawks DC Albert Breer on Thursday with Lovie interviewing today.

Other names on the Chargers list include:

Ken Whisenhunt

Greg Norman

Mike Zimmer

and of course Bruce Arians

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with Chud to be honest.

I'm not saying he cannot succeed, I just think we were hoping for an established head coach, not another former assistant from various teams that was never the top man. But then as others have pointed out to me, Tomlin, McCarthy and Payton were are in similar situations. I'm just tired of the constant change, and really hope the team gives him time to succeed, not another fire and hire in 2 years, its been a ridiculous 14 years since their return in 1999. Our 6th full time HC in that short time, with only 8 prior to that (covering 40+ years). Hitting the reset button every few years is no way to succeed in the NFL.

He's the defensive version of Andy Reid. Poor in game management.

Pretty much. Might as well have a cardboard cut-out standing on the sidelines.

As for Trestman, I'm on board. The guy's had some ringing endoresements from folks that know what the f is up.

Edited by darin3

Doesn't that go for every OC that becomes a HC? The question is will he be allowed to that when he is hired? It seems that more and more owners/GMs are controlling what the coaches do, instead of just hiring a HC and letting them do what they want (hiring assistants, calling off/def plays, etc.).

I'm just saying that I don't see Arians giving it up, since he has done it for so long.

I just have this weird feeling Arians is going to be a bust of a head coach. He did a good job this year, but not sure he's really HC material.

Wishful thinking CD? :wink:

Chargers are expected to interview both Mike McCoy and Jay Gruden. I'd actually be happy with both if we cannot get Arians.

Jay Gruden has a connection with Telesco. He was a top candidate for the HC job last year in Indy.

Edited by tazinib1