[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Arthur Blank threatening to leave Atlanta

rajncajn

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2013/01/atlanta-falcons-owner-arthur-blank-is-trying-to-use-the-threat-of-los-angeles-to-get-his-new-stadium/

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank wants a new stadium for his team. Badly. Looking to build a stadium in the neighborhood of $1 billion, Blank is ready to leave the Georgia Dome in the past. However, there is just a little problem.

The Atlanta community is reportedly not behind this new stadium. Something that left Blank even bringing in commissioner Roger Goodell to help convince city officials of the need for a new place to play. With even that failing to work, Blank has officially gone to desperate measures. Los Angeles.

Having just gone through a similar situation here in Minnesota, I will just say that you Falcons fans have my deepest sympathies... this crap totally sucks!

Let's just boil this all down to 4 teams in New York, 4 Teams in California, 4 Teams in the Midwest and 4 Teams in the South. Obviously the poor billionares can't make this struggling business pay off the way it is.

Total posture move so Blank can get the taxpayers to foot some of the bill, so he doesn't have to use the stadium the taxpayers footed the entire bill for.

I can understand him wanting his own stadium where he gets all the revenue, but I'm all for calling his bluff. He can pay for it his damn self.

Total posture move so Blank can get the taxpayers to foot some of the bill, so he doesn't have to use the stadium the taxpayers footed the entire bill for.

I can understand him wanting his own stadium where he gets all the revenue, but I'm all for calling his bluff. He can pay for it his damn self.

From what I've read, that is pretty much the attitude of most of Atlanta. I don't believe he'll up & move, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

Edited by rajncajn

Have you seen the Georgia "Dome" aka the Circus Tent? I'd want a new stadium as well if I could get one.

Roof aside, the stadium is plenty fine now that they got rid of the butt ugly 90s colors and replaced it with red and black.

I mean no, its not some palace like Goodell is demanding hostage for a superbowl here (hey, I guess we can share in some Goodell hate after all), but I do know that tearing it apart just to put a sunroof for 6-8 games a year max is the biggest waste of money I've ever heard.

Open air or pay for it yourself Blank. Go ahead and threaten to move to the place where NFL franchises die, but I'm assuming he'd rather actually start getting PSL money here by being the only Atlanta owner to ever actually care about the team. Leverage works both ways if he wants to play ball, but who am I kidding, he'll get then to cave and pump more money into an unnecessary stadium as far as the city is concerned. Maybe the revenue offsets it for some, but not for everyone having to subsidize what blank could easily pay for.

Makes more sense than the LA Lakers. About the driest effing place in the country and they're called the Lakers.

There's none worse than the Utah Jazz.

Oh, I had this debate on another board - if you really sit down and think about it, the NBA has the WORST nicknames out there....

Knicks? Nets? Magic? Spurs? Pacers? Clippers? Lakers?

Suns and Heat are tolerable because we're used to them; if a team came out now with either of those names, they'd be soundly mocked.

Generic names like Warriors, Bulls, Kings, and Hawks sound GREAT comparatively.

Jazz would be a GREAT name if they kept it in N'awlins. I really like Trailblazers and thought Supersonics was terrific.

But overall the NBA needs some sort of nickname commissioner.

Oh, I had this debate on another board - if you really sit down and think about it, the NBA has the WORST nicknames out there....

Knicks? Nets? Magic? Spurs? Pacers? Clippers? Lakers?

Suns and Heat are tolerable because we're used to them; if a team came out now with either of those names, they'd be soundly mocked.

Generic names like Warriors, Bulls, Kings, and Hawks sound GREAT comparatively.

Jazz would be a GREAT name if they kept it in N'awlins. I really like Trailblazers and thought Supersonics was terrific.

But overall the NBA needs some sort of nickname commissioner.

They can keep it, New Orleans has the best new name in all of sports!

Local news is saying that the city of Atlanta and the Falcons are close to a deal for a new stadium in the city.

edit for link: http://www.wsbtv.com...ays-away/nWBTN/

Yep the rumors that the Falcons were are or may be moving to LA were grossly exaggerated by many. I dismiss any rumor about a team relocating to LA until the trucks are loaded. We've heard them too many times, about virtually any team that has an issue with their stadium. Every time 1-2 teams gets their stadium deal done, some other team is targeted as "moving to LA."

taz,

there may be plans to build a stadium but I do not think one is actually being built yet.

Jeebus. I just watched the video on that link. Pelican just plucked a pigeon up off the ground and ate it whole. I need to barf.

:lol: Pelicans may look like goofy, gangly birds, but those dudes are not to be trifled with. :shocking:

This is silly. The Chargers are going to LA. Everyone knows it, so let's stop with the circus already. Spanos is very upset that $$$$Millions have been spent and no progress has been made. They will play here in SD until the stadiums built in LA and then move. The hand has written, so it shall be done. SD had it's chance and passed. End of story.

Exactly. There is no substance behind this. He is shooting Blanks

• Like 1

This is silly. The Chargers are going to LA. Everyone knows it, so let's stop with the circus already. Spanos is very upset that $$$$Millions have been spent and no progress has been made. They will play here in SD until the stadiums built in LA and then move. The hand has written, so it shall be done. SD had it's chance and passed. End of story.

Disagree 100%

:lol: Pelicans may look like goofy, gangly birds, but those dudes are not to be trifled with. :shocking:

I recall some guys on the radio expounding on the utter badassery of the octopus - it is seriously one serious mofo of a fish.

Doesn't mean anyone is going to call its team the Miami Octopi anytime soon.

• Like 1