[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OT: Sunday Ticket

Heroes2010

Last year I was able to get the Sunday Ticket and Red Zone for about 150 with credits etc... Saw the renewal on last months bill so did the annual call to cancel.

I asked for retentions and after a 5 minute hold, I got through. Said I wanted to cancel the renewal and asked if there were any deals available. Was offered 10 dollars off a month, so a 60 dollar discount. Said no thanks.

I called back a few hours later and said cancel services. Told them about past deals and I was only offered 10 dollars off earlier. Also told them that I could buy Madden 25 through Amazon for 99 dollars and it came with the Sunday Ticket for your mobile device, essentially costing 40 bucks.

After a brief pause, he came back and told me I could get the Sunday Ticket for free and I also asked and got the Red Zone for free.

Only had to do a year agreement and I still have over a year left on my current agreement so nothing added to it.

Score!

This is the same deal I get every year. Just renew your contract and it's free. I tell them the ST is the only reason I'm on Directv and if I don't get it free I will cancel my service. Usually they won't give in to this deal until August.

Sorry, I meant to say NFL Game Rewind, which is an online replay thing they do now. IIRC, the games come out around Monday (or maybe Tuesday after MNF).

It's $69.99, which isn't a bad deal when it includes all 16 weeks, playoffs and superbowl, plus archived games back to 2009. My only beef with it id that you only get it from just before to just after the season. You have to pay $70 again for access in the offseason (which sucks, but I did it anyway just to get a fix in the long boring offseason. Really nice to rewatch your teams games and do some scouting)

Link: https://gamerewind.n.../packages?ttv=1

(ETA: DO NOT buy it until after July 31st, as you will only get access until then)

Oh I forgot to mention Keg's favorite feature, it also includes the All-22 view of the entire field, so you can see the entire play. I've not had the patience to do so yet, but definitely a cool feature for those wanting to really break down the plays.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

Depends on how far you want to take it or "chance it". It's been free for me for the last 3 years. BE SURE TO CALL THEM AND CANCEL YOUR AUTO RENEW IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY. YOU DON'T WANT TO AUTO-RENEW, OR THERE'S NOTHING THEY CAN DO FOR YOU AS YOU'RE ALREADY PAYING THEM THE STANDARD FEE!

I'll give you last year's example since it was the most extreme.

Let me preface this by telling you I DO NOT have a monthly membership to Hulu or Netflix. So here's what I did..

Last year, at the end of August, I called DirecTV and asked them how much longer I had on my contract. They told me (to my surprise) I had 17 months left before it expired. I was very polite to the woman I spoke with - I asked her how much it cost to cancel my service with them. She informed me that it would cost me $340, as they charge a fee of $20 per month that you're still under contract. I told her that I pay a total of $20/month for Netflix and Hulu combined, and that I would like to cancel my service - asked her if she could do that for me (knowing she cant). She then tried to talk me into staying, I told her no, I'd just like to cancel. She then transferred me to the retention department (THESE GUYS ARE WHO YOU WANT TO TALK TO).

I told them the same thing, that I have Hulu and Netflix (when I don't) and I pay about $20/month for the two services, and I'm ready to cut the cord to cable/satellite TV. They asked me why the change of heart. I just told them that I pay DirecTV almost $100/month for something that I can watch for a 5th of the price the next day. They then asked what I watch, and maybe they could lower my tier (exactly what I wanted them to ask). I told them the only reason we're still with DirecTV was the NFL Ticket - same reason I signed up for DirecTV 7-8 years ago. I then told them that I will not pay for it as all I watch is the Redzone channel, and I can go to my local cable company and get basic service, but pay $40 for the year and get the Redzone channel. They then asked me what if they gave me the NFL Ticket for free? Exactly what I wanted - I told them I'd consider and will talk to my wife, but I'm sure she's not going to go for it as it's more of a $$ thing that it is free NFL Ticket. She then gave me $20/month in bill credits for 12 months. I told her to do it, and I'll talk with my wife - worst case we'll call back to cancel down the road.

A few days later (without talking to my wife - she had no clue I even got this far with them) I called back and immediately asked to cancel my service. I gave the rep a quick 2 minute rundown of what transpired a few days earlier, and she then transferred me back to the retention department. I again was very nice, and told the new person I was talking to that I appreciate the offer that was given to me a few days ago, we just can't justify paying this much for TV. What did they do? Gave me another $10/month in bill credits for another 12 months (so now my bill is $30 less a month), she then gave me the NFL TICKET MAX for no charge (Upgrade from just the NFL Ticket), and also threw in 6 months of HBO for free! She told me that I can cancel Netflix and Hulu for at least 6 months, and there's essentially another $20 in savings (in their eyes). I told them they just made me an offer I couldn't pass up.

So, I got $30/month off my bill, free HBO, and NFL TICKET MAX for free! Some people questioned it. If you go and search for last years thread, I posted a screenshot of my bill showing this.

All you have to do is be nice, and shoot for the stars. If they said "Sorry, nothing we can do and we're going to go through with your cancellation order", just hang up - say it was a bad connection or something. You have to give them one last authorization or ok to go through with the cancellation. If that happens, try again. I did the same thing with Verizon. I was able to get two phone upgrades when we didn't qualify for them - just by being nice. It works. Did the same exact thing. There are offers available from these companies to keep their customers, but you'll never know unless you threaten to leave.

For what it's worth - I just tried yesterday to do this same thing with DirecTV. I was told that my current bill credits are set to expire on August 16th, so I'll have to call in after that date when they fall off to see the new offers that are available to stick with their service. I already told them the same thing I did last year, so it's in their notes that they're aware that I already called to cancel. I was offered the NFL TICKET MAX for a monthly charge of $22.99 / 6 months right now. The woman I spoke with actually told me to not do it, wait till the bill credits fall off in a month and to call back. She told me (no BS), "When you call back next month to see about getting those bill credits back, tell them to throw in the NFL TICKET MAX package. It's only going to be a few weeks away from the season kickoff - and DirecTV opens this offer up for us every year just before the season start to get customers to stay."

So - something to try. Wait a few weeks, and if you're under contract or out of contract, call and tell them that you pay to much for TV and you're looking to cancel - they'll transfer you to the retention team - that's the place all the magic happens!

Good Luck to all!

• 2 weeks later...

Comcast should have the Red Zone Channel for $40--all you need anyway.

Yep. I had the Package since it start of availability until I moved back to michigan and I got comcast instead of DTV and got red zone. as said ,red zone is all a person needs.

Got the Sunday Ticket Max for free!! This is the 3rd yr str8 getting it for free..Just ask them 1st what they can do..They'll prob say we can do it for 6 payments of $35...After that just say that your buddy whos only been w directv for a yr or 2 just got the package for free and say you've been with them longer...And just seem confused about it..like just say I dont understand why hes getting it for free when hes only been with u for a yr and your charging me and I've been with u for YEARS...After that...Enjoy some free football :)...Works EVERY year

Here's the deal if you order Madden 25 Special Edition ( $99 )

Basically, if you are not currently a DirecTV subscriber you can get Sunday Ticket on your laptop or mobile device. In the FAQ section and in a forum dedicated to the topic DirecTV confirmed that you do not need to subscribe to get it. Those that are already DirecTV subscribes seem to get hosed again, they only get a code bumping them up to the Max package plus some credits.

So as a non-subscriber to DirecTV I get the game ( usually $60 ) plus Sunday Ticket on my laptop/iPad for only a little more. I ordered the game ( which I would have likely done anyway ) and I get the Sunday Ticket for a total of $99, seems like a good deal.

From the description on Amazon.com;

Exclusive Offers From DirecTV

1. For fans who are not currently DirecTV subscribers but are able to receive DirecTV service, they will receive a promo code entitling them to $10 off per month for their first year of service and one year of NFL Sunday Ticket Max at no additional charge.

2. For fans who are already DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket Max subscribers, you can access NFL Sunday Ticket on your computer, tablet, and mobile devices using your current DirecTV username and password.

3. For fans unable to receive DirecTV service, each Madden NFL 25 Anniversary Edition will include a unique code to access the 2013 regular season (17 weeks) trial of NFL Sunday Ticket on computers, tablets, and mobile devices- including access to the award-winning Red Zone Channel.

* edited to fix junk text from cut and paste

Edited by Ditka's Moustache
  • Like 2

just got off the phone with the retention dept... all i did was ask if i qualify for the Free sunday ticket... they said hold on and punched some buttons and came back with " we're sorry but that option isn't showing up" then said "would you like the Sunday Ticket Max for free?" i played dumb and asked what the difference was.. and10mins later and i got the sunday ticket max for free

Edited by TRU SOLDJA 22

I have been a DTV customer since 2001, and get their most premium package. I am not under contract and can walk away without penalty. In other words, I am in a great negotiating position, with maximum leverage. Like I do every July, I called and asked immediately to cancel service based on DTV's excessive price, which is code to be immediately connected with the Retention Team. But before I did that, I called the local cable company and got their prices on as similar programming to what I get from DTV as I could find. I don't even mention Sunday Ticket until I am deep into the negotiation for better pricing. I tell them that I can get very similar programming for close to $100 per month (about $48 per month less than my Premier DTV monthly bill), which is about a $20+ exaggeration of the truth. Unless they can offer me something comparable, I tell them I'm gone. So they arrange assorted discounts on various components of my programming for 6, 9 and 12 months, which added up to $48.50 off per month for the next 6 months, $36 discount per month for the next 3 months after that, and finally $20 off per month for the following 3 months. At that point I hesitate and tell them that this brings the pricing somewhat closer to what we feel is appropriate, but it's still not enough. It's only then that I raise the issue of Sunday Ticket (with Red Zone, of course). For the last 2 years, they have comped me the full SundayTicket. Free. In addition to the discounts above. They did exactly the same this year. I make it sound like ST is not a major plus, but a nice enough extra perk for me to accept the other discount options they have offered. Works like a charm. I love DTV and the negotiating process that you could never get away with with hardass companies like Verizon or Time Warner.

Moved to Minnesota last summer and my landlord installed DTV, so got it for free (since utilities were included in this crib), and then moved into new digs a couple weeks ago and got back with DTV (I was a customer from 2002-2005) so got the free ST once again. Who knows what'll happen in 2014. :unsure:

I'm not much of a channel flipper. I'll pick the best game (or couple games) and stick with it/them. This allows me to do that. Plus, I'm married to a Saints fan and with plenty of Cheeseheads about, I'm sure our place will be football central come Sundays this fall.

Just got my bill for sunday ticket max - 6 payments at 49.99 a month. Called and spoke with erin who I asked to give me the deal I got last year which was sunday ticket and red zone for 209.00. erin advised there was nothing she could do for me at all. asked to speak with retention and she advised she was the retention department. told her I wanted to cancel all together and she sent me to cancellation. They asked why I wanted to cancel, explained that all I asked for was last years deal and Im reading on line about all these people getting it for free, and the next thing you know. I got it for free.

Our contract with Direct Tv expires every August, so that I can bargain a little. Today, I called and got NFL for half off and an extra $35/month off my bill in the form of a coupon. Basically, for the 4 months of NFL Ticket payments my bill stays the same and the last 8 months of my contract my bill will be $35 less than usual. Boils down to free NFL Ticket and then $35 off my last 8 months of my 1 year contract.

Got NFL ticket for $99.00 and they upgraded me to whole house Genie for free..My bill is now $168.00 per month taxes/ fees included.Before I called my current bill was $252.00...Just have to call and they will work with you,especially for long time customers..

You were paying $252 a month for TV?? And you're now paying $168!?!?!?!?

Have been meaning to call DTV and completely forgot...got my bill today and had the $49.99 auto-renew charge for Sunday Ticket. Called and said I wanted to cancel...first person was going to cancel me...once they put me on hold I hung up...called back about 10 minutes later and said I was getting ready to cancel DTV...got transferred to "CRD" (I'm guessing that's Customer Retention Dept.)...the rep was very nice and wanted to do what she could so I'd remain a DTV customer...I used the "my wife wants me to cancel because Sunday Ticket is to expensive, plus it goes out in storms, but I really don't want to but I'm not going to argue with my wife over a cable bill"...When we were done she gave me the following:

1. Issuing a credit for the $49.99 payment that was taken out for ST.

2. Giving me $30 in bill credits for the next 12 months.

3. Giving me ST Max for FREE.

4. Giving me the new Genie DVR for free.

5. 6 months of Starz/Encore for free (don't have to call back to cancel, just falls off).

6. 3 months of Showtime for free (same fall off as Starz).

To say I'm happy with the outcome would be an understatement.

Edited by keggerz

redzone channel is not 'all' you need. i love the channel but i am a big homer too and so i enjoy getting to watch the cowboys every week rather than just following who's scored as they do it. i can watch that online.

This. As much as I love Redzone (I get it free of charge with my verizon subscrition (grandfathered in)), I still like to watch a game. Redzone is pure gold for us FF players but again, I'm a fan at heart and I wanna watch a game.

• Like 1

I had trouble getting ST last year for free. I remember calling 8 or 9 times and actually put my account on queue for cancellation before they would give it to me. Got it on my very first call this year, lol. :tup:

I got my $300 bill for Sunday Ticket. Called them up, told them who I was. They dropped the price. Then, thirty minutes later a limo full of hookers and blow pulled up to my house, courtesy of DTV. Yeah, that's the ticket!

You must have gotten the same representative I did--and as such, your post will probly get deleted too.