[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What should the Skins change their name to.

Cowboyz1

While I certainly see what you're saying.... the "N" word is now used as a non-derogatory fashion as well, even outside of the African-American community. Does that mean we should go and name a team after that historically-racially-insensitive term? I mean, seriously, imagine the uproar for that! :blink:

I'm part Native American. That said, I couldn't care less what the Washington football team is called. But I can see how some (as "overly PC" you may think they're being) could take offense to it based on their history.

Nobody is naming a team Redskins now, the name has been around for a LONG TIME. Of course nobody would name a team that today, or the N word, blacks, micks, guidos, japs or any other name considered offensive.

It's not the owners fault or problem if people are ignorant (willfully or not) to the origins of his team's name and choose to be offended.

Just playing DA here, but who gives a flying crap what the "origin" is? It's how the term has been used in the past, regardless of how the term came to be.

I invite everyone who thinks the term "redskins" is fine to go to the middle of the nearest res and start yelling it.

You live up to your name, because that is a bad example... Yes, if you went yelling things in a reservation, it really doesn't matter what you called them, you could call them "the best people in the world", but if you said it in a certain way, then they would construe it as an insult. However, if you went in yelling "Redskins win! Redskins win!" in your RG3 jersey, probably no one would bat an eye. The words mean very little without context, which means everything.

Now let's look into the context of why they chose this as their mascot. Clearly it is meant to be a celebration of the native American's fighting spirit. If you didn't mean it in a positive way, why would you use it as your mascot? That makes no sense. That'd be like calling your team the "pu**ies", you'd only be insulting your team who bears the mascot.

The overuse of the term "racist" today has become ridiculous, to where you have to pretend everyone's the same and can't even celebrate cultural heritage. It should be reserved for truly hateful speech and actions, whereas it's become an excuse for PC busy-bodies to feel morally superior.

• Like 1

The new PC NFL...

New England Zealous Lovers of Country

Miami Pelagic Percoid Food Fishes

Buffalo Almost Extinct Wild Bison

New York Air Transportation Devices

Cincinnati Large Bangledeshi Carnivorous Mammals

Cleveland Colors Between Red and Yellow in Hue that are Medium to Low in Lightness and Low to Moderate in Saturation

Pittsburgh Steel Mill Workers

Baltimore Black Passerine Birds

Tennessee Very Strong Immortal Beings

Jacksonville Large Spotted Cats

Indianapolis Young Male Horses

Houston Natives of Texas

Denver Untamed Beasts of Burden

Kansas City Native American Leaders

San Diego Shouters of the Word Charge

Oakland Takers of Spoils

Washington Native Americans

New York Very Tall People

Dallas Western-Style Laborers

Philadelphia Birds of Prey

Minnesota Plundering Norsemen

Green Bay Meat Industry Workers

Detroit Large Carnivorous Cats

Chicago Large Mountain Mammals

New Orleans Really Good People

Atlanta Birds of Prey

Tampa Bay West Indies Free Booters

Carolina Unspotted Black Leopards

St. Louis Male Sheep

San Francisco Precious Metal Enthusiasts

Seattle Birds of Prey

Arizona Male Finches

• Like 1

Just to clear things up regarding the Chiefs:

They were named after H. Roe Bartle, who was the mayor who had a large role in bringing the Texans to Kansas City. His nickname was "The Chief", and the name was chosen by the fans in honor of the mayor.

He got his nickname because he founded a group within the Boy Scouts called The Tribe of Mic-O-Say, which was created as a Native American honor society. The Boy Scounts affectionately nicknamed Bartle "The Chief".

You live up to your name, because that is a bad example... Yes, if you went yelling things in a reservation, it really doesn't matter what you called them, you could call them "the best people in the world", but if you said it in a certain way, then they would construe it as an insult. However, if you went in yelling "Redskins win! Redskins win!" in your RG3 jersey, probably no one would bat an eye. The words mean very little without context, which means everything.

I'm laying odds that if I went onto a res (or into an inner city) and started yelling out team names like "EAGLES!" or "STEELERS!" or "PELICANS!" I wouldn't have to worry about someone taking things out of context.

As a matter of fact, I'd think that at worst yelling "CHIEFS!" or "BRAVES!" on the res would get you a "wthef are you doing?" at worst.

They were named after H. Roe Bartle, who was the mayor who had a large role in bringing the Texans to Kansas City. His nickname was "The Chief", and the name was chosen by the fans in honor of the mayor.

He got his nickname because he founded a group within the Boy Scouts called The Tribe of Mic-O-Say, which was created as a Native American honor society. The Boy Scounts affectionately nicknamed Bartle "The Chief".

I take Bartle hunted with flint arrowheads, hence the KC logo?

I'm laying odds that if I went onto a res (or into an inner city) and started yelling out team names like "EAGLES!" or "STEELERS!" or "PELICANS!" I wouldn't have to worry about someone taking things out of context.

As a matter of fact, I'd think that at worst yelling "CHIEFS!" or "BRAVES!" on the res would get you a "wthef are you doing?" at worst.

Yes, and I wager " if you went in yelling "Redskins win! Redskins win!" in your RG3 jersey", they would not take it out of context either.

However, you go in and point at people, calling them "Pelicans", even if they don't know why you're using that term, they would assume you meant it offensively. Once again, context means everything, and in this context, it's a name of a football team. It's not being used as an insult.

Yes, and I wager " if you went in yelling "Redskins win! Redskins win!" in your RG3 jersey", they would not take it out of context either.

However, you go in and point at people, calling them "Pelicans", even if they don't know why you're using that term, they would assume you meant it offensively. Once again, context means everything, and in this context, it's a name of a football team. It's not being used as an insult.

You're going to have to learn to let people like this alone. They know what offends everyone, and further they intend to dictate what you can or cannot say, note, or think. Further, they are convinced that if they can control your speech and thoughts to comply with their desires that the country would be a much better place.

I am a pelican and am offended by this thread. :sad:

You would be. Freaking grandstanding pelicans always trying to force their views on others.

Ya know, I've changed my mind on this matter. No one should be forced to be associated with the woefully bad Redskins teams we've seen over the years.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

Um, so what?

Ok, lets try this again...

you posted

While I certainly see what you're saying.... the "N" word is now used as a non-derogatory fashion as well, even outside of the African-American community. Does that mean we should go and name a team after that historically-racially-insensitive term? I mean, seriously, imagine the uproar for that! :blink:

I'm part Native American. That said, I couldn't care less what the Washington football team is called. But I can see how some (as "overly PC" you may think they're being) could take offense to it based on their history.

I replied with below, and note the part above which I bolded when I responded. I guess I should have removed the rest of your post so you could see what part I was replying to

Nobody is naming a team Redskins now, the name has been around for a LONG TIME. Of course nobody would name a team that today, or the N word, blacks, micks, guidos, japs or any other name considered offensive.

Your post was referring to naming a team now, of course we wouldn't, not sure we'd use Indians or Seminoles either. Fighting Irish probably wouldn't be fly eithereither, it would be considered offensive.

Unfortunately, I don't think the context of the team name creation matters anymore.

If I remember correctly, the Redskins were named such because their coach had Native American heritage and the stadium move which made them get rid of the name Braves.

The Browns were also named after their coach.

The Packers obviously for the meat packing plants in the region.

Redskins are the 1st to be attacked, but if they fall these 2 will probably be shortly behind. The names are just not PC and origins don't matter the moment someone takes offense in today's society.

The new PC NFL...

New England Zealous Lovers of Country

Miami Pelagic Percoid Food Fishes

Buffalo Almost Extinct Wild Bison

New York Air Transportation Devices

Cincinnati Large Bangledeshi Carnivorous Mammals

Cleveland Colors Between Red and Yellow in Hue that are Medium to Low in Lightness and Low to Moderate in Saturation

Pittsburgh Steel Mill Workers

Baltimore Black Passerine Birds

Tennessee Very Strong Immortal Beings

Jacksonville Large Spotted Cats

Indianapolis Young Male Horses

Houston Natives of Texas

Denver Untamed Beasts of Burden

Kansas City Native American Leaders

San Diego Shouters of the Word Charge

Oakland Takers of Spoils

Washington Native Americans

New York Very Tall People

Dallas Western-Style Laborers

Philadelphia Birds of Prey

Minnesota Plundering Norsemen

Green Bay Meat Industry Workers

Detroit Large Carnivorous Cats

Chicago Large Mountain Mammals

New Orleans Really Good People

Atlanta Birds of Prey

Tampa Bay West Indies Free Booters

Carolina Unspotted Black Leopards

St. Louis Male Sheep

San Francisco Precious Metal Enthusiasts

Seattle Birds of Prey

Arizona Male Finches

Well done sir

You're going to have to learn to let people like this alone. They know what offends everyone, and further they intend to dictate what you can or cannot say, note, or think. Further, they are convinced that if they can control your speech and thoughts to comply with their desires that the country would be a much better place.

Do you own a scarecrow factory?

Well, you should consider it, with all the straw men you build.