[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints - Seahawks: Monday Night Showdown

Tripleshot

On defense, I think the Broncos are built well enough to contain them and the Seattle D isn't as effective without the home crowd. Granted it would be a tight game, but I still think Denver is better and I also believe KC could beat them on an even playing field.

I must respectfully disagree. No, actually I call bolshevik, lol. Kansas City is a good team, but has already proven they are not among the elite teams in the NFL this season. A good story, nothing more. I think it's even money that they don't even make it out of the wildcard round in the playoffs. Denver can't contain a pop-warner team, much less the Seahawks. You're telling me that the Seahawks run first offense doesn't give them an advantage in crappy weather, despite Peyton's long history of success in cold weather(hint: sarcasm)? How does this misguided perception that the Seahawks are only good at home persist? How's 5-1, allowing 15.3 points per game on defense - on the road. It's time to wake up and admit that despite Peyton's gaudy stats and all their points, they have some issues, including their defense and Peyton's long history of cold weather playoff suckitude. The team that matches up best against the Seahawks right now is probably in their own confernece - the Panthers.

Edited by Tripleshot
  • Like 1

I think the best match for SEA in the super bowl would probably be the patriots, simply because Brady is better than Manning in the cold. However the pats have pretty big holes of their own, and would probably be beaten handily by Seattle as well. As for KC? The Chiefs wouldn't have a prayer, with their terrible receivers against arguably the best secondary in football.

I must respectfully disagree. No, actually I call bolshevik, lol. Kansas City is a good team, but has already proven they are not among the elite teams in the NFL this season. A good story, nothing more. I think it's even money that they don't even make it out of the wildcard round in the playoffs. Denver can't contain a pop-warner team, much less the Seahawks. You're telling me that the Seahawks run first offense doesn't give them an advantage in crappy weather, despite Peyton's long history of success in cold weather(hint: sarcasm)? How does this misguided perception that the Seahawks are only good at home persist? How's 5-1, allowing 15.3 points per game on defense - on the road. It's time to wake up and admit that despite Peyton's gaudy stats and all their points, they have some issues, including their defense and Peyton's long history of cold weather playoff suckitude. The team that matches up best against the Seahawks right now is probably in their own confernece - the Panthers.

Meh, it's my opinion. I've been wrong before, it certainly wouldn't surprise me to see the Seahawks go all the way. As for perceptions, the Saints still have the stigma of being a poor road team, but nothing could be further from the truth. Shows what a couple of bad losses will do to your image. Here's to hoping we get a second crack at Seattle,

regular season..ok. I believe I read recently that Payton's Saints have never won a playoff game on the road.

Regular season, since 2009, the Saints have the best road record in the league. However, in the Payton era, they have yet to win a playoff road game out of three tries. The results of those games are hardly convincing to me either, though. The first was in 07 which was a bad loss against the Bears, but it was only Payton & Brees' second season with the Saints. The last two vs Seattle & San Fran were both very tight games that really could have ended up going either way. Neither of those games were won by more than 5 points.

Just for reference, they were 41-36 Seahawks & 36-32 49ers. I'd also like to point out that the Saints were able to put up a respectable score in both games, they just weren't able to stop the opponent, which I think also does not lend itself to the stigma.

Edited by rajncajn

Nobody said that Seattle is only good at home. They're a very good team in general. But, there's no doubt that they're even better at home... I don't think anyone can argue that, right?

As for the weather (which, again, is a separate topic from home vs road), how many games has Russell Wilson won in the snow? Probably a few in college (and maybe a couple last year?), but it's not like he's got an advantage (over guys like Manning/Brees/Brady) when playing in winter conditions. Certainly, I wouldn't say he (or the Seahawks in general) have more experience playing in bad/winter weather. The Seahawks might be run-first (because that's what they're arguably better at), but it's not like that's all they can do (they didn't need to run against the Saints, for example). Likewise, just because New England or Denver tend to be "pass-first" doesn't mean they can't run the ball when they need to. Belicheck/Brady are fully aware that they'll need to have at least somewhat of a running game, to be successful (at least at times) in the playoffs. And, Denver just got done running Moreno for 35/200+ (they've run the ball effectively when they've wanted to). So, it's not like Seattle is the only team that can potentially run in bad weather. :rolleyes:

Bottom line... Having home field throughtout would significantly increase Seattle's chances of getting to the Super Bowl (and therefore significantly increases their chances of winning it). Even without HFA, they might still be the favorite, based on their defense. I just think it's a bit of a stretch to say that Seattle is the team best prepared to play in an outdoor/cold weather Super Bowl. Based on what? That it rains in Seattle? Or that they run more than pass? Sorry... I'm not buying that.

I'm not saying Seattle won't win the Super Bowl... They're currently the favorite (tied with Denver, actually). But, obviously, some of that has to do with factoring in a team's road to get there. Seattle's chances have increased significantly, now that they've essentially locked up having to play zero road games (and their only game away from home would be the SB, where nobody has HFA, and the crowd is a non-factor). And, I'm not saying they shouldn't have that advantage (they've obviously earned it).

SB odds, for what it's worth....

Denver Broncos +$250 (5 to 2)

Seattle Seahawks +$250 (5 to 2)

New England Patriots +$700 (7 to 1)

Carolina Panthers +$1,000 (10 to 1)

San Francisco 49ers +$1,000 (10 to 1)

New Orleans Saints +$1,100 (11 to 1)

Cincinnati Bengals +$2,500 (25 to 1)

Dallas Cowboys +$3,500 (35 to 1)

Detroit Lions +$4,000 (40 to 1)

Indianapolis Colts +$4,500 (45 to 1)

Kansas City Chiefs +$4,500 (45 to 1)

Philadelphia Eagles +$5,000 (50 to 1)

Baltimore Ravens +$6,500 (65 to 1)

Green Bay Packers +$7,500 (75 to 1)

Arizona Cardinals +$8,000 (80 to 1)

Chicago Bears +$12,500 (125 to 1)

Miami Dolphins +$12,500 (125 to 1)

Pittsburgh Steelers +$12,500 (125 to 1)

How's 5-1, allowing 15.3 points per game on defense - on the road.

I think there is a perception that Seattle is still bad on the road when those struggles ended last year (they are 9-2 on the last road games including two playoff games on the road). This website ranks them the best team at home and on the road by a pretty wide margin: http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/rankings/

Seattle is the most complete team and they are almost equally capable to win a high scoring affair as they are a defensive slugfest. I would love to see a Denver/Seattle matchup; if it turns into a pass first game, Russel Wilson would have no problem with that porous defensive secondary. Heck, the team that scares me the most right now is Carolina. A team is going to need to contain Seattle's offense to beat them; Carolina and maybe San Fran are the two teams I see as capable.

They certainly aren't as dominant on the road no matter what the win/loss says

This year at Houston win in OT 23-20. Houston sucks

At Indy- They lost

at Stl Louis they won a squeaker 14-9 and St Louis isn't that good

The win at Carolina was impressive

I think its the Hawks NFC to lose as they ill be a home for all of it. I see Denver as the only team that can take them out

. The way they manhandled the Saints was a massive statement game

Edited by whomper

As for the weather (which, again, is a separate topic from home vs road), how many games has Russell Wilson won in the snow? Probably a few in college (and maybe a couple last year?), but it's not like he's got an advantage (over guys like Manning/Brees/Brady) when playing in winter conditions. Certainly, I wouldn't say he (or the Seahawks in general) have more experience playing in bad/winter weather. The Seahawks might be run-first (because that's what they're arguably better at), but it's not like that's all they can do (they didn't need to run against the Saints, for example). Likewise, just because New England or Denver tend to be "pass-first" doesn't mean they can't run the ball when they need to. Belicheck/Brady are fully aware that they'll need to have at least somewhat of a running game, to be successful (at least at times) in the playoffs. And, Denver just got done running Moreno for 35/200+ (they've run the ball effectively when they've wanted to). So, it's not like Seattle is the only team that can potentially run in bad weather. :rolleyes:

Bottom line... Having home field throughtout would significantly increase Seattle's chances of getting to the Super Bowl (and therefore significantly increases their chances of winning it). Even without HFA, they might still be the favorite, based on their defense. I just think it's a bit of a stretch to say that Seattle is the team best prepared to play in an outdoor/cold weather Super Bowl. Based on what? That it rains in Seattle? Or that they run more than pass? Sorry... I'm not buying that.

Yes that is what I don't get either, how is it that some people think SEA is more prepared to play in cold (freezing or below) and snow during a SB in NY/NJ in early February? I already looked at average temps and NJ is colder by 5-10 degrees.

So what is this vast experience that SEA has playing in below freezing and snow? Compared to NE, DEN or even CIN, BAL, PHI.

Of course it could be 50 and sunny for the SB, we never know.

They have a great shot at making the SB, even better with HFA.

Seattle is clearly the favorite in the NFC, no doubt about it. I'm not sure who I would say is their biggest threat... the two games between NO and CAR in the next three weeks will tell us a lot (moreso about Carolina than New Orleans). If Rodgers was healthy, I might think it would be Green Bay, but it's looking more and more likely that his (and their) season is done.

They certainly aren't as dominant on the road no matter what the win/loss says

At Indy- They lost

The win at Carolina was impressive

I think its the Hawks NFC to lose as they ill be a home for all of it. I see Denver as the only team that can take them out

. The way they manhandled the Saints was a massive statement game

I was more impressed with Carolina (in the SEA/CAR game) than I was Seattle. I think a lot of people expected Seattle to be dominant this year (and an NFC favorite). I knew Carolina was going to have a pretty decent defense, but Seattle was still the favorite to win that game (by a decent amount, if I remember correctly). The fact that Carolina kept it close (and almost won) was the first sign that Carolina might be worth watching this year. And, clearly, they have been, although it will be interesting to see if they can beat the Saints (at least once).

Edit: Forgot to add that the Rams might be the toughest team to figure out, in the NFL, this year. It seems like they're either horrible, or blowing somebody (even decent/good teams) out. If I was a betting person, I would not touch the Rams this year.

Edited by Gopher

I was more impressed with Carolina (in the SEA/CAR game) than I was Seattle. I think a lot of people expected Seattle to be dominant this year (and an NFC favorite). I knew Carolina was going to have a pretty decent defense, but Seattle was still the favorite to win that game (by a decent amount, if I remember correctly). The fact that Carolina kept it close (and almost won) was the first sign that Carolina might be worth watching this year. And, clearly, they have been, although it will be interesting to see if they can beat the Saints (at least once).

I was in Vegas that weekend and was all over the under $$. The way the game played out didn't surprise me at all.

Edited by Bobby Brown

Just to clarify, I was more impressed with Carolina then (when they lost to SEA). In hindsight, it's probably more impressive for Seattle to win that game (or, for both teams, frankly).

Also, I'm not in any way arguing that Seattle won't win the Super Bowl. If I had to pick a team, they're probably my pick. I just think that, if they do win it, it's going to be because they're defense is dominant, and their offense isn't too shabby either (not to mention, the HFA thing). I just think them being (or not being) a better cold-weather team will have very little to nothing to do with it.

I was in Vegas that weekend and was all over the under $$. The way the game played out didn't surprise me at all.

I think I took CAR (in a pick'em contest where we pick against the spread) as well. So, I wasn't really shocked, either. I guess, more than anything, I've been pleasantly surprised with how well Newton has played. After his rookie/breakout season, last year was a disaster. This season, he really seems to have recovered nicely, and is playing very well (and under control, it seems). So, that part (that Newton didn't single-handedly give that game away to the SEA defense) might have been the part that surprised me somewhat, given that we hadn't seen much of him (since last year, when he played much more poorly).

One thing I find interesting about Wilson is that he seems relatively unflappable. That's the part that I'm curious about... Whether we'll see him "shaken" by something, at some point, or if that's just his demeanor (to not get shaken, ever). Probably too early to tell, but it certainly seems like the latter (in the limited times I've watched him play). I don't watch Seattle every week, by any means, but I've seen him enough that that seems like the trend.

At Indy- They lost

At home they only beat Tennessee by 7 and Tampa Bay by a FG in overtime. If you extrapolate those two performances then they aren't dominant at home either. Every game is unique...any given Sunday and all. In general, almost every team is going to play better at home vs on the road. But, if you look at road records from last year at this time to present; I would think Seattle probably has the best in the NFL.

Edited by Bobby Brown

I don't follow; San Fran's chances of getting a wildcard spot are substantially higher than winning the NFC West; regardless of what happens tonight.

Then Seattle would still have a one game lead plus the current tiebreaker. Assuming Seattle loses tonight; San Fran obviously isn't mathematically eliminated from the NFC West division. But the 49ers would have to win out and Seattle would have to lose at least 3 out the last remaining 4 games (ie...at least 4 out of their last 5).

San Fran can lose the final wildcard spot, but that would almost certainly mean the NFC East having two playoff teams.

Like I said I think if the Saints beat Seattle the NFC West would of gotten interesting right now , the 49ers would of only been one game back

Like I said I think if the Saints beat Seattle the NFC West would of gotten interesting right now , the 49ers would of only been one game back

Meh, Seattle would still have the tiebreaker; San Fran would have to win out and Seattle would have to lose 2 out of the next three games. Neither one of those is going to happen if you look at remaining schedules (I suppose that San Fran winning out isn't a complete unlikelihood compared to a Seattle collapse).

San Fran was playing for a wildcard spot for the last couple weeks now; even their homer blogs were stating that....you were predicting either an NFC championship or no playoffs at all.

Edited by Bobby Brown

• 2 weeks later...

You forgot to bump this last week like you did the week before.

Sorry Captain Butthurt. I was on vacation last week. I hardly posted anything anywhere

Meh, Seattle would still have the tiebreaker; San Fran would have to win out and Seattle would have to lose 2 out of the next three games. Neither one of those is going to happen if you look at remaining schedules (I suppose that San Fran winning out isn't a complete unlikelihood compared to a Seattle collapse).

San Fran was playing for a wildcard spot for the last couple weeks now; even their homer blogs were stating that....you were predicting either an NFC championship or no playoffs at all.

And you forgot to bump this too , if the Saints would of beaten Seattle , then YES the NFC west would be interesting right now , Seattle would of been 11-4