[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McKinnon rest of season

XFlash

If it weren't for one 55 yard run, their numbers (McKinnon & Asiata) were damn near the same. If it weren't for some poor tackling of the Falcons, it would have been about a 10 yard run.

I certainly like the guy and his potential - I'm trying to get him (will probably miss out on him), but would rather have Asiata right now. Seems to be more of a bruiser and better at pass blocking - meaning he'll be in there for more passing plays.

Dynasty league on the other hand, I'd rather have McKinnon..

If it weren't for three Asiata TD's he wouldn't have had any. I certainly like his goal line potential but it was the Falcons.

As the Asiata owner, there's a guy who's 0-4 in our league and got McKinnon last night on waivers. He sends me a text..

HIM: "So, I got Asiata's insurance policy, McKinnon, last night on waivers."

ME: "Yeah, I saw that. What do you want for him?"

HIM: "Calvin Johnson."

ME: "Ha ha ha ha ha."

HIM: "I'm serious. McKinnon is taking me from 0-4 to the Superbowl. He will be the Vikings starter starting in week 6 through the end of the season. You will regret not trading for him."

ME: "Ok - well I'm not trading Calvin Johnson for McKinnon - not even if you throw in Eddie Lacy or Michael Floyd (His two best players outside of D Bryant). I'll give you Megatron & Sproles for McKinnon and D Bryant".

HIM: "You're not even in the same city, let alone same ballpark. McKinnon will finish the season top 5 - and he will do so with everyone else having essentially a 3 week head start."

ME: "You want Asiata?"

HIM: "No, I told you McKinnon will be the starter come week 6 - Asiata will only clutter my bench".

Am I missing something here????? :hscratch:

What a delusional tool. I was going to approach the Sproles owner in my league to see if he wants to trade, but this guy always wants Calvin or DemThomas and offers players like Vereen. This offseason somebody offered Murray for DemThomas, and I considered it. But in a keeper league with no limits (contracts or cost a higher draft pick every year) I like the long term value of Thomas (for many years) over the short term value of Murray (for a few years). But at least that was stud RB for stud WR.

http://blog.startrib...-change-of-pace

Zimmer prefers running back committee with rookie McKinnon as 'change of pace'

Posted by: Matt VenselUpdated September 29th at 2:08pm277480721

Rookie running back Jerick McKinnon had a break-out game yesterday, showing off his wheels while rushing for 135 yards in a 41-28 win over the Falcons. But today, head coachPosted Image Mike Zimmer pumped the breaks a little bit on the notion that McKinnon is ready to be an every-down back.

Zimmer said that as a defensive-minded coach, he likes the challenge that a committee approach can pose to defenses. Besides, there are only a handful of true all-situation backs in today’s NFL.

Starter Matt Asiata is more of a physical, between-the-tackles runner. Meanwhile, McKinnon, a third-round pick in May’s NFL draft, has the quickness needed to get around the edge and the speed and shiftiness to be a big-play threat when he gets into the open field. But while McKinnon has some pass-catching skills, he is not polished when it comes to things like pass protection.

“I think he’s a change-of-pace back for us,” Zimmer said. “We’ll worry about next year [then]. I hope we can continue to grow his role but I don’t think he’s going to be an every-down player right now.”

Asiata got the first six carries of the game yesterday and scored goal-line touchdowns on two of them. McKinnon got his first carry on the team’s third offensive drive and took off for 55 yards.

On 18 carries, McKinnon nearly doubled the rushing production of Asiata, who had 78 yards on 20 carries. But Asiata got the call at the goal line, and rewarded the Vikings with three touchdowns.

Zimmer said the offensive play calls won’t necessarily change when they switch running backs. But he suggested that Asiata and McKinnon might read the plays and run the ball different ways.

McKinnon is comfortable sharing the backfield with Asiata, but he does have greater aspirations for the future, which may or may not include Adrian Peterson, whose status here is up in the air.

“I’ve been improving in pass protection and other things besides running the ball,” he said. “I think I can develop into an all-down running back. That’s something that I have my eyes set on.”

Not sure where you heard he lacks in pass protection, he made a really nice pick up last week coming across in front of Teddy to pickup a CB Blitz coming free and was pretty solid in Preseason too. AP was never a pass protecting stud back there either... when you can carry the ball like he can they don't need him to bang heads with LBs anymore than you have to...

Not sure where you heard he lacks in pass protection, he made a really nice pick up last week coming across in front of Teddy to pickup a CB Blitz coming free and was pretty solid in Preseason too. AP was never a pass protecting stud back there either... when you can carry the ball like he can they don't need him to bang heads with LBs anymore than you have to...

could'nt catch Peppers last night on the pick...pretty surprising for a guy that's supposedly a burner..

edit: he also got Ponder sacked a few times last night

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

Cooling on McKinnon a bit. He really needs work in pass protection. And there's just no way that the coaching staff (read: Norv Turner) will throw him out there 100% of the time with Bridgewater the starter.

They'll use him enough to get a good look at him to see if he's the future (which he very well may be) but I foresee a nice 50/50 split at this point.... which for me, doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies for a guy like McKinnon who, without volume, is too dependent on the big play.

Deep flex play at best right now.

I'm sorry, but this line of thinking drives me nuts. The play happened. It counts. So what if it all happened in one play?

So yeah - I'm gonna re-open pandoras box and revisit this a week later.

Asiata this week went 15/72 for a ypc of 4.8. 8 of his 15 runs went for 5 yards or more (more than half his runs). His longest was 11 yards. Take away that 11 yarder and his ypc goes to 4.3/carry.

McKinnon went 7/24 for a ypc of 3.4. 2 runs of his 7 runs were 5 yards or more (less than half his runs). His longest was 10 yards. Take away his longest run and his ypc goes to a whopping 2.3/carry.

What I'm saying is - regardless of the RB, regardless of the team, I'll take the guy who can get me 4.5 yards a carry by truly getting 4.5 yards a carry, not a bunch of 1 and 2 yarders and then one big one - sure to your point the big one counts, but that big one isn't gonna happen every game..

Edited by Shorttynaz
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...