[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is The Huddle still worth the $$$?

MPFC

I'd like to see an app with notifications, something that notifies me of injuries or players not not playing for other reasons. The predraft ranking isn't where the huddle is worth it, it's the in season free agent forecasts and articles. Again, I would like to see an app.

Our site has been mobile optimized so that it doesn't require an app to view. We had that done because USAToday did all their stuff that way - like all other big sites. Apps are going to start to be less and less because they are not needed.

• Like 1

Thanks DMD. I'll keep giving it a shot this year, tho I do end up making my own spreadsheet to have all info in a comprehesive place. Maybe if you had an interactive spreadsheet with ADP, HUD rankings, custom league sizes and scoring, etc that would be cool.

Thanks agan for listening.

The one suggestion I would have, as a data geek, is to have the option to download content as a spreadsheet. Especially for data that's displayed in table format like the Strength of Schedule, for instance. I basically build a spreadsheet every year using the Huddle's resources but I have to manually cut/paste. The SOS is color-coded which I like, so the copy paste doesn't work, so I have to take a screenshot.... but then the column widths don't line up so I have to manually adjust them. It's a huge pain in the neck. I just did it tonight for my local drafts this weekend and I spent a few hours.

• Like 3

The one suggestion I would have, as a data geek, is to have the option to download content as a spreadsheet. Especially for data that's displayed in table format like the Strength of Schedule, for instance. I basically build a spreadsheet every year using the Huddle's resources but I have to manually cut/paste. The SOS is color-coded which I like, so the copy paste doesn't work, so I have to take a screenshot.... but then the column widths don't line up so I have to manually adjust them. It's a huge pain in the neck. I just did it tonight for my local drafts this weekend and I spent a few hours.

+infinity million bazillion

Make each data type it's own column - name (or even separate FN & LN), position, team, rank #, projected points for myHuddle scoring.

Also, add timestamp on pages so we can see when the actual update to the data was done, so when I look at it in the morning, and I see the same time in the afternoon, I know you haven't made any changes.

DMD -

Talking about the overall 200, I use that too. That's actually my draft day bible, with myHuddle scoring in tiers as the second piece. Am I wrong in using the overall 200 as BPA (wrong intent)? I take both sets of data and combine into one sheet. Our 10 team draft for 160 players took about 1 h 15 m this year, so it's going pretty brisk most of the time. As picks come in fast and furious, I use conditional formatting in Excel to highlight the players in the 200 list as I select them in my "live draft" sheet (if any of that makes sense). Any player not highlighted in the 200 list are queued up in my online espn draft as my turn comes around. Gives me a quick assessment of players passed over and players I might have to reach for as well. The myHuddle tiers are then glanced at second to provide a different look at the same data (in theory I suppose).

One other way I use the 200 is for trends. You start out with Player X at spot #150, and each update he climbs higher. That's a guy I want to look into more. Why is a guy falling? If he's falling, who is rising on that guy's same team? Or is a position falling for a team (think WRs in BUF) due to another position (their QB situation), so maybe I want to stay away from that team when choosing between two similar ranked players. My spreadsheet has weeks of this data building up to the draft as you update.

Then again, as one esteemed Huddler always says... maybe fantasy football really is 5% luck, with the other 95% being luck.

• Like 1

I think this is one of the next steps the Huddle can take to improve the ranking system...

Whether it be something I can customize by porting over to a spreadsheet or being able to customize my rankings on the site itself and print from there...

Kind of like the pre-draft rankings that you use in an NFL.com league where you can drag/drop a name...

Because the insight by itself is excellent and the rankings themselves are a very good base...but if I were able to make my own tweaks, that would make my draft prep even easier...

But people like me, brent and lenny may be in the minority in this regard and the time and money? Spent providing this feature may not be worth the investment - and that I understand....

Edited by Avernus
  • Like 1

+infinity million bazillion

Make each data type it's own column - name (or even separate FN & LN), position, team, rank #, projected points for myHuddle scoring.

Also, add timestamp on pages so we can see when the actual update to the data was done, so when I look at it in the morning, and I see the same time in the afternoon, I know you haven't made any changes.

DMD -

Talking about the overall 200, I use that too. That's actually my draft day bible, with myHuddle scoring in tiers as the second piece. Am I wrong in using the overall 200 as BPA (wrong intent)? I take both sets of data and combine into one sheet. Our 10 team draft for 160 players took about 1 h 15 m this year, so it's going pretty brisk most of the time. As picks come in fast and furious, I use conditional formatting in Excel to highlight the players in the 200 list as I select them in my "live draft" sheet (if any of that makes sense). Any player not highlighted in the 200 list are queued up in my online espn draft as my turn comes around. Gives me a quick assessment of players passed over and players I might have to reach for as well. The myHuddle tiers are then glanced at second to provide a different look at the same data (in theory I suppose).

One other way I use the 200 is for trends. You start out with Player X at spot #150, and each update he climbs higher. That's a guy I want to look into more. Why is a guy falling? If he's falling, who is rising on that guy's same team? Or is a position falling for a team (think WRs in BUF) due to another position (their QB situation), so maybe I want to stay away from that team when choosing between two similar ranked players. My spreadsheet has weeks of this data building up to the draft as you update.

Then again, as one esteemed Huddler always says... maybe fantasy football really is 5% luck, with the other 95% being luck.

I see nothing wrong with using the top 200 as a BPA, my only problem is this is the first year that I thought there wasn't a top 200 because I don't see it.

I'm going to look again...

I just don't get the "is it worth the money" argument at all. My god people do you not have jobs? Isn't this site only $25 for the whole frickin year for returning members? That is absolute peanuts for a full preseason of draft kit information, great in-season information to help set lineups, a unique "myHuddle" section to utilize individual scoring systems, fun in-season games, a relatively entertaining forum :wink: , insightful articles, and fantastic post-season games. There is a lot more that the Huddle offers to boot, but come on, a whopping $25 for the year is just a drop in the bucket for all that fun.

Oh yeah, and bring back the arrows.

Edited by heehawks
  • Like 3

I don't agree with every single opinion or mechanic on the site but, in my experience, this is the easiest and most user-friendly site that's out there. Been using it for as long as I can remember and don't anticipate changing anytime soon.

I was a fan of the up/down arrows in the rankings but it was pretty intuitive/easy to figure out that the projected points were added in lieu. Projected points are far more useful than an arrow that people are likely to put way too much stock in, anyway.

I don't agree with every single opinion or mechanic on the site but, in my experience, this is the easiest and most user-friendly site that's out there. Been using it for as long as I can remember and don't anticipate changing anytime soon.

I was a fan of the up/down arrows in the rankings but it was pretty intuitive/easy to figure out that the projected points were added in lieu. Projected points are far more useful than an arrow that people are likely to put way too much stock in, anyway.

I like to see how much someone moved to see if I agree with the justification

I just don't get the "is it worth the money" argument at all. My god people do you not have jobs? Isn't this site only $25 for the whole frickin year for returning members? That is absolute peanuts for a full preseason of draft kit information, great in-season information to help set lineups, a unique "myHuddle" section to utilize individual scoring systems, fun in-season games, a relatively entertaining forum :wink: , insightful articles, and fantastic post-season games. There is a lot more that the Huddle offers to boot, but come on, a whopping $25 for the year is just a drop in the bucket for all that fun.

the relatively entertaining forums are free fwiw

That would be great, yes.

As an alternative, you can copy and paste the tables into a text (*.txt) file and save it. Then open Excel and open directly from Data > From Text. Use Delimited and choose Tab. The only field you need to fix is the headers. The rest will be fine.

Following up on Brentastic's data geek ideas, as I do something similar in that I copy/paste the customized cheatsheet into Excel (paste as plain text so I can work with it easier) and then format it to my needs. For my FFPC sheets, I actually take Huddle projections as well as two other sources, come up with my own version of the consensus cheat sheet/projections, and them merge that with the available ADP data for those leagues.

What would be neat is if the cheatsheets could have columns be selectable.

For example, I can choose to have name, team, bye, projected points, stats, SOS, ADP, ranking trend, etc. - or I could deselect any of those fields. Maybe someone doesn't want to see the ranking trend or the SOS on their sheet. Perhaps the arrow/trend could be based on a comparison from a week earlier or a month earlier, rather than always just change from previous update.

Basically when you click on the link for custom cheatsheets, get a popup that lets you select which league it is for, what columns you want displayed (perhaps with ADP you select ADP source) and voila, it is generated. Get the on screen view with option to print or to get the file as an Excel sheet or as a PDF.

Probably easier said then done, but if this is turning into a wishlist thread, I'll throw that out there.

That would be great, yes.

As an alternative, you can copy and paste the tables into a text (*.txt) file and save it. Then open Excel and open directly from Data > From Text. Use Delimited and choose Tab. The only field you need to fix is the headers. The rest will be fine.

Close to what I do. I already have a cheatsheet format that I like (it comes out as a 1 pager that I print on ledger paper) that I usually put my top 40 QBs, top 100 RBs, top 100 WRs, top 40 TEs anf the K and D on. I just take the custom cheatsheet, paste it into a blank excel tab as text matchng destination formating, just delete the "Tier One" "Tier Two" headers and copy paste values into my format.

Now that I have it set up, takes me about 5 minutes or les to update my sheets with the latest Huddle sheets.

As I said in my previous response, I have a much more involved process for my FFPC sheets as I like to include data from multiple sources and import in ADP data, but once I get that laid out, it is essentially the same process.

I have to agree about the cost vs content.. Best $25 (or whatever it is, I always do the auto-re-up) I spend for Fantasy info. The in season articles are top notch and use them as a helpfull tool setting my lineup each week.. Just remember, YOU are in control of your weekly lineup, don't blame DMD if a player goes off when, on paper and the numbers support a bad matchup, does a Jonas Gray and THE HUDDLE doesn't forsee it.. Bill Belechick is a fantasy chalupa anyway !!!

I will ALWAYS use THE HUDDLE as my first reference for weekly advice

Correct. I had Brady at 18th considering the suspension but then decided he was a good back up and moved him up. So there was really no where to move him. Somewhere in all this Deflate gate thing, we seem to forget he is no longer a very good fantasy QB. He was only 11th last year and 14th in 2013. Most his WR are already injured.

• Like 2

Somebody should send this guy some Huddle schwag .. great answer.

• Like 1

Our site has been mobile optimized so that it doesn't require an app to view. We had that done because USAToday did all their stuff that way - like all other big sites. Apps are going to start to be less and less because they are not needed.

I never understood the point of having an app for every website I go to. I have a one app called a web browser for that. Why do I need 56 apps when 1 works. But I'm in the older generation so maybe the younger one is more app driven. The daily emails about the player updates are precisely all the notification I need and are a great source of information for individual player news.

Edited by blips
  • Like 1