[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Erin Andrews awarded $55 million in peeping tom video lawsuit

Wolverines Fan

Let me spell this out...

You have a case that happened TWENTY years ago (hi, inflation) in which the party involved was not convicted of anything in the criminal sense. It was after the fact in a civil case that net the families of the deceased a settled-on amount of money.... which, again, should hold absolutely ZERO bearing in this discussion based on the amount of time that has passed to start out with... never mind talking about court-mandated restitution versus settlement amounts. Two completely different things.

And not sure why the comparison has to be with OJ Simpson's case. Like, what? How about you find another similar case with similar results if you want to complain about the compensation.

Relating it to some class action lawsuit against Red Bull? :lol: Wut?

If the $55M is going to be reduced, why do you all care so much? Yes, it will be appealed. Yes, it will be settled out of court for far less. Maybe then you can start comparing it to the OJ Simpson debacle but even then I would fail to see similarities.

Edited by darin3
  • Like 1

Let me spell this out...

You have a case that happened TWENTY years ago (hi, inflation) in which the party involved was not convicted of anything in the criminal sense. It was after the fact in a civil case that net the families of the deceased a settled-on amount of money.... which, again, should hold absolutely ZERO bearing in this discussion based on the amount of time that has passed to start out with... never mind talking about court-mandated restitution versus settlement amounts. Two completely different things.

And not sure why the comparison has to be with OJ Simpson's case. Like, what? How about you find another similar case with similar results if you want to complain about the compensation.

Relating it to some class action lawsuit against Red Bull? :lol: Wut?

If the $55M is going to be reduced, why do you all care so much? Yes, it will be appealed. Yes, it will be settled out of court for far less. Maybe then you can start comparing it to the OJ Simpson debacle but even then I would fail to see similarities.

Didn't take much of a search...

Jury Awards Lake Forest Couple $5 Million for Son's Wrongful Death at Care Facility

An Orange County jury awarded $5 million in damages today to a Lake Forest couple whose 15-year-old disabled son died at a Mission Viejo live-in care facility in 2012 after staff failed to give him his anti- seizure medication or try to revive him with CPR.

Five million for a son's life vs 55 million for the Andrews case. Again, I have no problem at all with Andrews winning or those at fault getting hammered for a whopping sum. Just simply making the argument that the award is inequitable to what many get for dealing with much worse.

ETA: That's also not to say that Andrews doesn't deserve whatever she can get either...

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

wow - you are a dope. Civil settlement in both cases, dollar value versus the offense and suffering . Youre f in hopelessly idiotic

Yeah I'm the idiot. Comparing a wrongful death with an invasion of privacy and Red Bull. :lol:

Didn't take much of a search...

Jury Awards Lake Forest Couple $5 Million for Son's Wrongful Death at Care Facility

Five million for a son's life vs 55 million for the Andrews case. Again, I have no problem at all with Andrews winning or those at fault getting hammered for a whopping sum. Just simply making the argument that the award is inequitable to what many get for dealing with much worse.

ETA: That's also not to say that Andrews doesn't deserve whatever she can get either...

I think we're fundamentally saying the same thing here. I just find it odd that someone would bring up the O.J. Simpson case and some lame crap about Red Bull. The three subjects couldn't be further from one another.

Totally agree that in many cases people - like the story you link - get absolutely shafted. But for someone to come and compare it to the O.J. Simpson case and Red Bull is just asinine.

Obviously some folks have had one too many Red Bulls.... probably mixed with vodka.

Edit: I remember that case you linked. Horrible :(

And: As horrible as that - and I suppose, the O.J. Simpson thing 20 years ago - was, you just can't compare the results from a monetary standpoint. Are they unfair? Sure, on the surface. But there are unfortunately other things "at play" when you are talking about a celebrity. Namely, earning power.

Edited by darin3
  • Like 1

Had something happen at a hotel a while back that seemed strange and I even questioned the front desk staff. But in light of this case it is kind of scary. For some reason I have a real hard time with those magnetic keys, they're always crapping out when I'm at a hotel. One time I went to the desk to get new keys, told them the problem, gave the room number and they started making new keys. I asked "aren't you going to ask for some ID, or check my name or something?" They were like "no we trust you", maybe they remembered me from earlier when I checked in. I thought "heck I guess I could get them to make me a key to any room."

I think we're fundamentally saying the same thing here. I just find it odd that someone would bring up the O.J. Simpson case and some lame crap about Red Bull. The three subjects couldn't be further from one another.

Totally agree that in many cases people - like the story you link - get absolutely shafted. But for someone to come and compare it to the O.J. Simpson case and Red Bull is just asinine.

Obviously some folks have had one too many Red Bulls.... probably mixed with vodka.

Edit: I remember that case you linked. Horrible :(

And: As horrible as that - and I suppose, the O.J. Simpson thing 20 years ago - was, you just can't compare the results from a monetary standpoint. Are they unfair? Sure, on the surface. But there are unfortunately other things "at play" when you are talking about a celebrity. Namely, earning power.

And that's all FR was trying to say. Maybe he used poor examples, he was just giving examples that he was more familiar with and you just fixated on that rather than the point he was trying to make.

• Like 1

The judge doubled the jury's per diem out of sympathy for watching the video.

I wish I had a clue what you guys are talking about, maybe then it would be funny. Was Erin naked and doing her hair, is that it? And I'm Erin? Maybe you should all take your act to Vegas.

And that's all FR was trying to say. Maybe he used poor examples, he was just giving examples that he was more familiar with and you just fixated on that rather than the point he was trying to make.

yes and thank you for having the ability to see this. I was searching for famous examples of horrendous painful deaths that people would be familiar with and the value placed on those civil settlements as opposed to what happened to her - I don't see why knuckle(the really bad word) couldn't grasp that concept. As far as the red bull comparison, that was strictly irony or whatever the literary term is when you throw something minor in as a contrast to something serious and major as a means to be amusing. maybe my humor is lost on some.