[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2016 Huddlers' NFL Mock Draft Part II (Commentary Only)...

irish

The Jags are desperate to shore up the defense. Jack gives them the type of player they have not had in a long time, someone that has an nasty attitude that will kick buts into action. Love the pick, a perfect fit for a team on the rise.

He is the perfect choice for Jax.

Theirish will probably take Goff for the 49ers again too. We'll see...

I can't see the Rams taking anyone but Wentz. Not saying Goff is not good but I think his ceiling - as some experts have noted - is someone like Matt Ryan. Not a terrible comp, but Wentz is a stud both on and off the field with a ceiling higher than Goff.

Rams need to make a splash after moving to L.A., and a big, mobile QB with both accuracy and a big downfield arm is just what they need.

They have the franchise RB, now time to get the franchise QB.

I think that Wentz would be a borderline insane risk for the Rams with the top pick. This guy hasn't really proven anything on the football field, especially compared to a guy like Goff.

Where Goff played at a BCS program and had the 3rd most passing yards in the NCAA in 2015, Wentz played some seriously inferior competition and put up some piss poor stats. Unless North Dakota State runs half their snaps from the wildcat formation, 235 YPG and 7.9 YPA in his senior season is weak as hell.

I get that he 'looks' like a prototypical NFL QB, but trusting traits seen on film when he is facing corners and edge rushers who have literally no chance of sniffing a 53 man roster is tenuous at best. When there is a QB who has shown consistently solid performance against very good competition, an NFL franchise would be nuts to leave him on the board for a guy with basically nothing but conceptual upside.

I think that Wentz would be a borderline insane risk for the Rams with the top pick. This guy hasn't really proven anything on the football field, especially compared to a guy like Goff.

Where Goff played at a BCS program and had the 3rd most passing yards in the NCAA in 2015, Wentz played some seriously inferior competition and put up some piss poor stats. Unless North Dakota State runs half their snaps from the wildcat formation, 235 YPG and 7.9 YPA in his senior season is weak as hell.

I get that he 'looks' like a prototypical NFL QB, but trusting traits seen on film when he is facing corners and edge rushers who have literally no chance of sniffing a 53 man roster is tenuous at best. When there is a QB who has shown consistently solid performance against very good competition, an NFL franchise would be nuts to leave him on the board for a guy with basically nothing but conceptual upside.

You might be right - everyone is saying it's Goff, not Wentz.

I think the Rams gave up too much for a guy who has a pretty low ceiling (albeit fairly high floor).

They could have got Paxton Lynch at #15.

And to your points, I think that guys like Alex Smith, Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco have proven that smaller school guys, playing against lesser competition, doesn't really mean as much as one would think.

But I feel ya. And I also pity tha fool.

Edited by darin3

man, as an Eagles fan I'm sure glad a couple top guys always drop b/c I really don't like the way both of these have broken.

I'm 100% sure the Eagles will try to move up as long as both QBs are on the board. If the both go and they don't get them, they will move down to try and make up for the pick they foolishly threw away for Bradford last year.

Yep if I had more than an ounce of desire for this stuff we could have swapped picks so Iggles could get Goff, and I think someone will, CLE just seems like they are going to roll with RGIII experiment for at least one year.

You don't see Elliott in PHI?

You might be right - everyone is saying it's Goff, not Wentz.

I think the Rams gave up too much for a guy who has a pretty low ceiling (albeit fairly high floor).

They could have got Paxton Lynch at #15.

And to your points, I think that guys like Alex Smith, Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco have proven that smaller school guys, playing against lesser competition, doesn't really mean as much as one would think.

But I feel ya. And I also pity tha fool.

Agree 100% that they gave up too much for either guy. I am starting to like Lynch about as much as either of the consensus top two guys.

IMO, the biggest difference between Wentz and Ben or Flacco is that those guys were both pretty prolific in college. I'd say Smith is a pretty fair comp.

Yep if I had more than an ounce of desire for this stuff we could have swapped picks so Iggles could get Goff, and I think someone will, CLE just seems like they are going to roll with RGIII experiment for at least one year.

You don't see Elliott in PHI?

nope, just not the way they or other teams operate. If they get stuck and can't move up or down I think EE could be an option since all the others are a mishmash as I pointed out with this and the last pick.

I think the last time the Eagles took a RB in the first round was in the 80's. If they see him as an AP type talent maybe its worth it. I also highly doubt they moved up to take him. they are eyeing a QB or maybe an OL.

Im not so sure either QB Wentz or Goff are the franchise players they will be drafted as. Goff has had the better stats against better competition but I don't see either the caliber of the Luck, Manning, Rodgers or even a guy like Rivers. I can see them in more of a Ponder, Tannehill, Matt Ryan, Folyes, or as low as Flynn. Not sure I see the type of QB I give up my entire draft for like the Rams did. I could see that if say, Luck or Manning was there but neither seem to have the prowess of an Elite QB.

Course what do I know. I didn't watch either of them all that much until recently.

• Like 1

Now, back to the more compelling part of all of this.....

Is it Wentz or Goff?

You'd think that the Rams obviously had their minds made up after giving up that much booty to net that #1 pick, but.... no.

Rams to meet with Wentz and Goff

I thought for sure they had settled on one or the other... this suggests they're not, unless they're playing a little cat and mouse with the Browns (and others).

I personally think it's Wentz. Goff's ceiling is like, Matt Ryan. Which isn't terrible but I think Wentz has far more upside. Worth the #1 pick? And what it took to get there? Who knows. We shall see. Should be one of the most compelling NFL drafts in a few years.

Iirc, I read the other day that the Rams are bringing both QBs in for a look this wk?

Don't you have to be in love with one of these guys already to give up what they did??

Weirdos

Yeah, I had posted (see above) that in the Rams #1 thread.... so odd.

After hearing that they're so in love with Goff, maybe they're just bringing both in to see how he interviews, knowing that Wentz is supposedly fantastic in interviews and has become a draft/media darling over the past couple of months.

• Like 1

They better do their due diligence and then some...just moved team's future for one of them, best make sure they choose the right future

Edited by sksmith

That's my pt...who gives up what they did, and still hasnt decided who they gave that all up for?

Might just be refusing to show their hand at this point, they seemed to enjoy teasing the media during the post-trade presser. Privately brought in both QBs for visits last month, so I assume they know what they're getting into.
  • Like 1

Might just be refusing to show their hand at this point, they seemed to enjoy teasing the media during the post-trade presser. Privately brought in both QBs for visits last month, so I assume they know what they're getting into.

Idk...who are they refusing to show their hand to? ...they're picking #1.

Something smells weird here

and they're bringing both in for a visit this week because..?

Because they have to, and besides, what else do they have to do? lol. Of course they know. Only an absolute idiot would not know who they are taking and trade soooo much. Besides, it drives people like you crazy, so that makes it worth it all by itself... haha

• Like 1

The are playing this up for the media and their new home crowd, keeping themselves on the front page

+1. When asked about who the Rams would pick, Fisher said something like "I can't tell you, you guys would have nothing to talk about then." I think they're milking this for all it's worth. I kind of enjoy it, first time in a while that the 1st pick will be suspenseful.

You know there is one thing we may not have accounted for. If there is one thing I feel good about is our scouting staff and coaches feel for good players IF they spend time with them. If you look at the hits we have made over the Garrett era during the draft they have made some pretty nice finds. Most all of them were either Cowboy Day invitees or guys they brought in on workouts and interviews. Now that's not all that unique I know because all teams do that.

However, this year the coaching staff and scouts got to coach and spend extend time at the Senior Bowl coaching up the players they will be drafting. I believe that will give them an enhanced look at some of the kids abilities, personalities and flaws.

Therefore, I have a good feeling on the picks that will be made in the first 3 to 4 rounds on draft day. This staff has done well with their 1st through 4th round picks for the most part. If we can do that again this year and fill some holes we will be in good shape for a run. Providing we stay relatively healthy and not lose our starting QB.